How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Yup, someone said it. This episode was great because the writers focused on moving the plot forward, even if they deviated or altered things (though nothing was GLARING in the episode). See HBO writers??? Forget about spicing up the show with T'n'A and just get on with the story. That is what we are here to see! Things are started to gear up. Soon the Night's Watch will be fighting for its life against White Walkers. Wildfire is brewing. I give it a 9/10.

8 Fantastic episode. The most Faithful adaption Ive ever seen of something i cared for. The Ratings dont lie. This Show is a Monster Hit. D and D are doing a great job bringing this to the Masses. Everybody Relax, Take a deep breath and be Thankful that the story we love has been translated into what is without question one of the best shows on TV.

I gave it 8. A good episode, but not an extraordinary one. Brienne's distress after Renlie's murder was very authentic. I like Pyat Pree's adaptation, but I imagined Quaithe's mask completely different. Tyrion/Bronn conversations are hilarious, but they're becoming a standalone comic relief sequences - you can just take them out of each episode and create a mini-series for them alone. The only part that disappointed me was Dagmer - what, no Cleftjaw?

Nope. Tywin was there in the book and she neglected to say Tywin, so that criticism is off the table.

No - it's not off the table. Her not selecting him as first is fine - she wanted revenge but her not selecting him at all, now that she has access to him and can see & hear what he is planning? No, this will be a gap if she doesn't select him as one of the three now.

Yup, someone said it. This episode was great because the writers focused on moving the plot forward, even if they deviated or altered things (though nothing was GLARING in the episode). See HBO writers??? Forget about spicing up the show with T'n'A and just get on with the story. That is what we are here to see! Things are started to gear up. Soon the Night's Watch will be fighting for its life against White Walkers. Wildfire is brewing. I give it a 9/10.

Amen

Nope. Tywin was there in the book and she neglected to say Tywin, so that criticism is off the table.

Tywin was there but she has ZERO interaction with him and realizes while he is leaving that she made a mistake and should have named him. She considers finding Jaqen and telling him she has changed her mind, but just then Weese dies. In the show Arya serves Tywin every day and has made the whole "anyone can die" threat already. Arya not thinking to name him under those circumstances will take a much larger suspension of disbelief. Hopefully they have Tywin leave next episode, without giving Arya any warning, making it acceptably believeable. If she names someone else while Tywin is still there, it will be difficult to accept.

Tywin was there but she has ZERO interaction with him and realizes while he is leaving that she made a mistake and should have named him. She considers finding Jaqen and telling him she has changed her mind, but just then Weese dies. In the show Arya serves Tywin every day and has made the whole "anyone can die" threat already. Arya not thinking to name him under those circumstances will take a much larger suspension of disbelief. Hopefully they have Tywin leave next episode, without giving Arya any warning, making it acceptably believeable. If she names someone else while Tywin is still there, it will be difficult to accept.

Don't forget though that in the show it was Tywin who saved her and Gendry from The Mountain's men, so she probably owes him her life. Not to mention that being Tywin Lannister's cupbearer is probably among the best positions a serving girl can have in the castle, and she would lose that if Tywin were do die, and potentially be thrown into a much more dangerous position.

Besides, Tywin has never wronged her personally, and had nothing to do with her father's death. Yes it would help Robb's war effort, but I think she at the moment is thinking primarily of her own safety rather than the outcome of the War of the Five Kings. Selfish? Perhaps, but could you ask more out of a 12-year-old girl?

That is another reason why making her Tywin's cupbearer in the first place is a questionable idea. It makes Tywin a bigger protector for her than Jaqen in a time when she is not supposed to feel safe. It's hard for me to accept that she wouldn't think of Tywin when she just came from threatening him with the whole "anyone can die" line. Unless you believe she didn't intend that to be a threat? Arya's thoughts while she is at Harrenhal revolve around all the monsters that Tywin has in his service who might beat or kill you for looking at them wrong, and how she has to become a mouse who stays out of sight and out of mind to avoid that fate. Since Tywin "rescued" her, we haven't seen any of that or felt any sense of danger for Arya or Gendry. I guess we shall see next episode how it plays out.

Edited by Tadco26

Alright, I've gotten used to the fact that this is an ADAPTATION of the books, and changes have to be made. As a reader of the books, I am trying to not be nitpicky when it comes to the changes. When looking at the show from that kind of point of view, I definitely thought that this episode was the best episode of the season so far. It was just one awesome scene after the other. 10/10

I gave it a ten just because it was the first great episode of this season IMO. I wasn't to sure about the first four episodes but this one really did it for me. Brienne's character development is so key to making the next seasons work that I was happy to see that role progress strongly in this episode. Tyrion was great, as usual, and I found in this episode you really get a sense at how badly his sister and nephew will do at protecting the city from stanis if left to their own devices. I really enjoy the scenes involving the iron islands and Theon, his path in life has finally brought him home, but he now knows that all his past deeds and acomplishments are of no importance and he must prove himself as a true ironborn. I look forward to see how these characters continue to develop through this season and hopefully the episodes continue at this pace.

I have carefully not re-read Books 1 and 2 before seeing the TV series, so that I can try to judge the show on its own merits as TV. And I have to say I do like the adaptation. The changes make sense in terms of the story hanging together for a viewer, and certainly this episode (only just shown in Australia) was the best of series 2 so far. Intensely dramatic, and the stories of the various characters are moving up in pace. I'd rate it a 9.5, mainly because (as with all the episodes so far) I wish it could be just 5-10 minutes longer.

I like the Brienne character in this show. But the Renly death is not so good, almost boring to watch. Thought that would be done better. Needed more physically darker and creepy atmosphere. Also, was this the episode that had the Knights "Cage Match"? (or maybe it was in the previous episode). I just have to say that scene was totally lame. That is one of the best scenes in the book, and also introduces a main character. But the show only has Brienne and Loras fighting? And pretty awkwardly at that.

Really, really enjoying the Arya scenes...this young actress can really hold her own with the older actors. The Arya/Tywin scenes and Arya/Jaqen scenes were my favorites this episode. Brienne is impressing me too, I was really worried about her casting but seems to be working out fine so far.

• 1 month later...

I gave it a 6. I can deal with the whole "books and TV are different mediums" fact, but there are things that could have been better. For example, the little detail about how the ironborn ships (longships) are depicted in the series. If we take the inspiration for the ironborn culture are the vikings, then we are talking about a ship very much like this. And what they gave us in the series, was something in the neighborhood of Cristopher Columbus' caravels.

So, instead of a viking-like culture, what we have is Pirates from the Caribbean in leather doublets.

And yes, I agree with those who didn't like Dagmer portrayal.

Edited by Janos Pyke

• 3 weeks later...

Voted 9!

A Fantastic episode! loved the convo between Arya and lord Tywin. Jaqen was FLAWLESS! would have loved to see Loras going all crazy for renly's death or maybe see him bury him, but oh well...did anyone else notice there were no Nudidity in this episode?! ;P

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...