[Book Spoilers] Project: Screen-time of Characters

teemo

Thanks for putting this together!

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out over the next half of the season- I imagine it will even out to an extent. For instance, Sansa is likely to get a lot of screentime in the latter half of the season- especially during the Battle of the Blackwater and the aftermath, not to mention I assume at some point she is going to end up meeting up with Dontos (unless they delay that plotline). Similarly, Theon and Jon are probably due a fair bit of screentime in the upcoming episodes, if the writers are keeping largely in line with the book. Not sure about Daenerys, but I imagine the House of the Undying scene will definitely be cropping up later this season, and may well be sizeable. Davos and the Hound are likely to get sizeable scenes in the Battle of the Blackwater, and we know Jaime's getting at least one more scene this season. Arya and Tyrion (And Bronn? How does he stack up time wise, given he shares so many scenes with Tyrion) are going to have a lot more screen time this season, being realistic. Robb will need a few more scenes to adequately set up his romance.

In terms of other characters- I wouldn't be surprised if Littlefinger and the Tyrells were absent for a couple of episodes, to have them turn up later in the season, but they might well get a couple of small scenes in the meantime. Let's see...

Overall, though, I think it's fair to say that Tyrion and Arya are likely to get the most screentime this season as a whole.

I guess Littlefinger will get at least one more scene convincing Margaery to marry Joffrey, but it will end on this until the surprise of their arrival during Blackwater and Joffrey accepting the marriage in episode 10.

By the way, I so hope they keep Joff's reluctance at wedding Margaery at first (his whole: "I'm faitful to Sansa." speech was amazing).

And speaking of Tywin, Charles Dance sure has made the most of his 5 minutes. I would have sworn he had more screen time than that so far.

Yeah, it's shocking how short all of the scenes are when I do this. The average scene is about 2 and a half minutes. Depending on the writing/acting, they either make the most of it or the worst. Anything over 4 minutes is getting on the long size and 5+ is definitely long. I think the longest scene so far was the one with Arya escaping from the Gold Cloaks. That was almost 10 minutes.

Yeah, it's shocking how short all of the scenes are when I do this. The average scene is about 2 and a half minutes. Depending on the writing/acting, they either make the most of it or the worst. Anything over 4 minutes is getting on the long size and 5+ is definitely long. I think the longest scene so far was the one with Arya escaping from the Gold Cloaks. That was almost 10 minutes.

I have never timed it myself but is very interesting data, and goes to the heart of the problem we have been having this season. Too much rich material shoehorned into too little time.

Do you know what it was last season?

I have never timed it myself but is very interesting data, and goes to the heart of the problem we have been having this season. Too much rich material shoehorned into too little time.

No, but a couple people have suggested it. Is this something that lots of people are interested in, I wonder? I don't mind doing it at all.

Also, I wanted to apologize for saying "you are the man" in an earlier post hk47. I later saw another of your posts in a different thread, and you mentioned your boyfriend. So if you are a girl, I hope I didn't offend you by assuming you were a guy! My bad! I guess I can blame it on my thinking of hk47 being a male killer robot in KOTOR, but really, a robot has no gender! :)

Either way, you rock and I appreciate you doing this every week!

What has happened to this show where Petyr (renowned for being a "behind the scenes" villian) is third. The writers really wanted to get him screen time for some reason so they sent him off to Renly's camp.

What has happened to this show where Petyr (renowned for being a "behind the scenes" villian) is third. The writers really wanted to get him screen time for some reason so they sent him off to Renly's camp.

It's strange that they did, though, as I think he's the worst actor on the whole show (maybe except for the woman who played the witch that killed Drogo)

Jaime is my favorite character but he wasn't even in the second book. I don't think there was any dialogue by him and the only time you heard about him was in Tyrion's thoughts or about the failed escape attempt. I mean the first season was using dialogue from Storm of Swords to add a scene with him and Cat just so the audience didn't forget him.

Jaime is my favorite character but he wasn't even in the second book. I don't think there was any dialogue by him and the only time you heard about him was in Tyrion's thoughts or about the failed escape attempt. I mean the first season was using dialogue from Storm of Swords to add a scene with him and Cat just so the audience didn't forget him.

That scene is in Clash. Last Catelyn chapter.

Well, in the books he still has his amazing scene with Cat at the end, which may well be for ep7 !

Parts of it were already in the show. For some reason they moved his admission of pushing Bran to season 1.

Don't get too excited about any scene in the show. The Renly/Stannis parley and maester Cressen scenes were both a few off the top of my head that I was looking forward to that disappointed.

I know when one shoots scenes they are not done in order, in fact they can be totally jumbled around because of location logistics and all kinds of technicalities , like even budget fitting. (I always admire the way film and TV actors handle this , so unlike the stage.)

But I wonder how the contracts of the seasoned actors read, because they will have TV, film and stage productions on their schedules. Maybe such and such scenes are shot and then the actor is gone.

Archived