[Book Spoiler] The Reeds

Yup, it's official, they've cut them.

Bran describes his dream, which in the books belongs to Jojen. Now I'm confused as hell; how are they gonna do the split up? Who's gonna watch over Rickon? I don't see Hodor and Bran soloing to the wall.

Someone explain to me why they cut the Reeds?

Oh and still no speaking 3 eyed crow!

Yup, it's official, they've cut them.

Bran describes his dream, which in the books belongs to Jojen. Now I'm confused as hell; how are they gonna do the split up? Who's gonna watch over Rickon? I don't see Hodor and Bran soloing to the wall.

Someone explain to me why they cut the Reeds?

Oh and still no speaking 3 eyed crow!

I agree, the Reeds are almost certainly goners, and although I'm of the opinion that the show is hitting on all cylinders right now, I believe it will suffer in the future for having excluded the Reeds from Bran's story, especially in terms of all the backstory they are able to provide via Howland's unique perspective.

Popular opinion is that Osha will accompany Bran and Hodor north of the Wall, while Luwin will survive Theon's occupation and take Rickon to White Harbor (and Skaagos?).

The rumor that I've seen on the internet so far is that they are replacing the Reeds with Osha because the actress has a large fan base. Personally I don't see what the big deal is with Natalia Teena. To me she looks like a poor man's Helena Bonham Carter (and I didn't particularly liked that one either)

Me, I liked the Reeds, and the two little Frey children too, they spiced up Bran's storyline, and I'm sad that they have been cut.

Well we can still have the Reeds in season 3. I'm okay with the TVshow messing with minor characters like Weeze,The Ticklers,Marilion and Rakharo but the Reeds and Ramsay Snow are too important to be ignored.

Especially Meera since she's Bran first love. I think that their appearance will be delayed to season 3 like Damphair was.

Or else who will go with Rickon ? Maester Luwin ?

Not a great decision, using Osha is also the reason for another of my huge pet hates (Yara). But most importantly it's going to change Howland Reed to a complete total shock when he finally comes into it. We haven't seen the ToJ and now we aren't getting the Reeds. So if R+L=J it'll just come as a hammerblow with not even the subtlest of clues in the TV Show, the Reeds should be in it just to get a mention of Howland, I understand the ToJ likely wasn't in for casting reasons but surely they could do the Reeds.

As much as I love the Reeds in the book, I'm completely fine with them being left out of the show, especially with how they are eventually treated in Dance. And since we STILL haven't met Howland Reed to justify spending screen time on that "connection".

They are Bran's mentors and guides to the north, no more. Show-Osha can teach Bran and lead him to Cold Hands, and then take Rickon to Skaggos. At the end of the day, nothing has changed in the main narrative.

Non-book viewers won't miss the Reeds. Just us. I hope there's another way to work in the tale of the laughing knight.

Without the Green Dreams, there's really no need for the Reeds in the story. Jojen's role was mostly to serve as Mr. Exposition on some of the magic to Bran, through his Green Dreams. Since Bran is the one having those, the only issue is how he and Rickon are going to split up after Winterfell gets burned.

For the record, they can still introduce the Reeds in season three.

Yes, there's no reason the Reeds can't be waiting for Bran after the fall of Winterfell, since Jojen has prophectic powers.

That being said, I hope they don't because Jojen Reed is one of my top-three least favorite characters in the entire series.

No Tower of Joy flashback from Ned so I don't hold much hope for the Knight of the Laughing Tree either.

Can't even really blame them for cutting the Reeds as much as I like them. Cuts out two extra actors from the budget and they have to be practical about the fact they have Natalia Teena as Osha. She's most likely getting paid a lot of money and brings in name power not just as primarily a film actress but someone from the harry potter films, and yes I know there's at least one person who only started watching Game of Thrones exclusively because she's a huge potter fan and loved Natalia Teena in them. Considering she's the only harry potter fan I know I'm going to assume there are others.

So they're left with two choices. Suddenly start making up a lot of Rickon scenes that never happen in the books to keep Teena onscreen or they have to send her with Bran because it's hard to see them sending off Natalia Teena to not be seen again for who knows how many books worth of the show unless she leaves the series on her own accord.

Kind of makes me care less about Bran tbh, but thats strictly because I read the books first. This really makes me think that they are preparing to end the show with A storm of Swords.

Unless Howland never makes an appearance in the books(i really feell he needs to eventually) his children really need to show up at some point OR someone else with a relationship to him. If Howland Reed never shows up or they end the show with aSoS it'll workout just fine.

Popular opinion is that Osha will accompany Bran and Hodor north of the Wall, while Luwin will survive Theon's occupation and take Rickon to White Harbor (and Skaagos?).

I think this would be a smart decision. Members of this forum have already observed how difficult it has become in the second season for the show to maintain the interest of the viewers with the the introduction of so many plot threads. This problem of fragmentation is only going to get worse. Hence it's important to maintain dramatic continuity by keeping alive already-introduced minor characters and only to introduce new characters as needed. The Reeds simply are not necessary, as interesting as they are for book readers. Osha will guide Bran to the wall and beyond and introduce him to the old ways. It also makes sense to keep Luwin alive and entrust Rickon's future to him.

Whatever part Howland Reed has to play in the in the future narrative, both in the book and the TV show (assuming the show survives that long [doubtful]), his children are not necessary to that part.

I hate to admit it, but I personally think that the characters of Bran, Rickon, Hodor (Hodor), and Osha will all be traveling together to the Wall. Just from the perspective of the books, we havent heard from Rickon or Osha since they split up, minus the knowledge that they are possibly in Skagos. The characters have to stay together, I guess just for the continuity of the storyline. Maester Luwin cant not survive, for many claring reasons, but first and foremost his advanced age is to unbelievable to make any knid of escape or long winded journey.

While the Reed children make interesting characters in the books, at the end of the day they're relatively minor characters in the narrative. They are basically Bran's tutors, teaching him about old magics and green dreams. It often happens in book-to-movie adaptations that several minor characters get spun into one characters, and this time it looks like it's Osha. I don't really mind the change, since it doesn't effect the spirit of the story.

If the show lasts to cover all of the books, and the Reed children happen to become more important to the story, then the writers could definitely figure out a creative way of introducing them at that time.

No Wex with Theon either......

yeah, and he was kind of useful in book 5... I think Osha can fill in for the Reeds in terms of taking Bran north (and someone else random can take Rickon), but as far as backstory and future story, I'm not so sure. Maybe we're all wrong about TOJ and Howland and it all doesn't mean anything...

Archived