What Role Will Edric Dayne Play?

Ser Adam Dayne

I think/hope that Edric might have some greater role to play in the future of Westeros. I believe that he will eventually become the Sword of the Morning as well. I also believe that his parentage might be more interesting than we might have thought. Edric tells Arya that he and Jon were milk brothers. This means that they would roughly be of the same age, unless of course Wylla nurses Edric after the TOJ. Is it possible that Edric is the son of Ashara and Ned? I'm not quite sure if he is old enough, but it could have played out like this.... at the conclusion of the TOJ Arthur, while dying, tells Ned that he has a son. Ned knows that he cannot take back both Edric and Jon to Winterfell, so he makes the decision to leave Edric with the other half of his family. This is to protect Jon as well. The Daynes, in order to protect Edric and the honor of their house, claim that Edric is the son of Arthur's brother, born during the war, and would be raised with no knowledge of his true parentage. Also, it's possible that Ned does not know that Edric is his son. Thoughts?

It's possible for Wylla to have nursed the boys after two different pregnancies. I think GRRM said that Edric may have "stretched" the "milk brother" thing a little far. It's also possible for a woman to lactate for a very long time, so long as she still has a child who's suckling (see: Arryn, Lysa). So just because both boys had the same wet nurse doesn't mean they're the same age or even only a year or so apart.

And Edric Dayne is 12, as stated in the appendix, too young to be Ned and Ashara's kid.

The most I can see him doing is raising the armsmen of House Dayne as part of a general mobilisation of Dorne.

That, and I've just decided he's going to end up betrothed to a Stark at the end... just because. Probably Arya.

But I can't see him doing much more. Unless the rate of decimation amongst the great nobles of Westeros steps up a notch...

But whatever, he does, I think he'll do as a Dayne. Tbh, I'd love to see more and know of this house, so that's no hardship to me.

I want him to be with Arya.

She was relatively very sweet to him and allowed him to call her "My Lady." She liked him and thought that he was nice.

He liked her too and appeared to accept her for who she was.

Plus, he's from Dorne.

The Ashara thing upset her but that's not anything that she can't get over.

Edric seems to be with the other branch of the BWB. Hopefully he stays safe.There is only him and Allyria left of the Daynes of Starfall.

House Dayne is ancient and I personally think that Dawn was the first Lightbringer so this house is important and needs to survive.

I like Edric Dayne. I could see him wielding Dawn and becoming the new Sword of the Morning. However, I could also see him being lost to obscurity and we never hear of him again. So, who knows :dunno:

And I agree with Arya_Nym, I would hate to see House Dayne become extinct. Judging by what little we've seen they seem to be interesting and "good" people.

I do not believe Edric will become the next Sword of the Morning. He has done nothing to deserve the title.

Edrics character is more of a way to keep House Dayne in the back of ours minds. He gives us a view of things in his family, and another person who knows a small amount about Ned and Ashara.

What I can say for certain is Dawn Sword of House Dayne is LIGHTBRINGER. Now weather Edric will carry it, I hope not. He does not deserve it.

I liked Ned, the little we saw of him. And I was glad he didn't follow Stoneheart. Do people think he's headed home to Dorne? If he has he could cross paths with Aegon on the way down. Or has he stayed in the Riverlands to carry on helping the small folk as best he can?

Some people have speculated that as Berics squire it might have been his duty to take his mortal remains back to Berics castle somewhere in the Dornish marches. I do not no what he would do after this, he might return to Starfall or he might bring help for the Brotherhood.

i see him returning home and calling his banners with the rest of Dorne to support the Dragons. I also see him raising naming his cousin The Darkstar as "The Sword of the Morning", giving him Dawn and letting him lead the Dayne men into battle.

I believe that Edric Dayne will play a larger role.

I have asked this before, but doesn't anyone find it odd that there is a Dayne that carries the namesake of someone who killed Ser Arthur? I know it is Edric and not Eddard, but Edric does not seem like a Dornish name and they do call him Ned. (Darkstar named for the White Bull?)

• 3 weeks later...
I do not believe Edric will become the next Sword of the Morning. He has done nothing to deserve the title. Edrics character is more of a way to keep House Dayne in the back of ours minds. He gives us a view of things in his family, and another person who knows a small amount about Ned and Ashara. What I can say for certain is Dawn Sword of House Dayne is LIGHTBRINGER. Now weather Edric will carry it, I hope not. He does not deserve it.

He is only twelve so he could still do great things in the future. And he saved Beric one time (he pulled him out of the river and stood over him during the battle so no one could harm him further or something like that). I know he was introduced very briefly, but I would still prefer him becoming the Sword of the Morning over Darkstar. He just seems like an ass.

It's possible for Wylla to have nursed the boys after two different pregnancies. I think GRRM said that Edric may have "stretched" the "milk brother" thing a little far. It's also possible for a woman to lactate for a very long time, so long as she still has a child who's suckling (see: Arryn, Lysa). So just because both boys had the same wet nurse doesn't mean they're the same age or even only a year or so apart. And Edric Dayne is 12, as stated in the appendix, too young to be Ned and Ashara's kid.

This only makes it more intriuging to me because he knows about Jon Snow. Why would The Daynes talk about a bastard boy fathered by the man who killed/helped kill maybe the greatest Dayne that ever lived? That would seem a sore subject. He doesn't speak of Jon or Ned(Stark) as if he has any hatred or contempt for them either.

Archived