What Role Will Edric Dayne Play?

Ser Adam Dayne

I have heard recently that GRRM have planned to have a five years time gap after a "Storm of swords", but he eventually decided to overrun

that time gap with a "Feast of the crows" and "Dance of the dragons".

So, giving the original plan, young Dayne should be 17 years old when real action starts : Now, it will be different, he will be younger, but still

mature enough to have a larger role - and I do think he will have a larger, even large role.

My guess would be that he is somehow connected to some of Targaryan secrets, missing sons and babies, for example. We will see.

@Bear Knight of house Cole - good thinking ! :cheers:

I think the Dayne's probably have some knowledge of Jon's true parentage, though Edric is probably too young to know the full story.

Hopefully he's headed back to Dorne for now where he will be relatively safe. I think he will most likely meet up with a POV character (Arianne or Doran) and be able to lend some insight into Darkstar's actions.

ultimately I think the Daynes will explain what really happened during Robert's Rebellion, ToJ, etc.

and yes, Edric and Arya make a lot of sense

I think the Dayne's probably have some knowledge of Jon's true parentage, though Edric is probably too young to know the full story.

Hopefully he's headed back to Dorne for now where he will be relatively safe. I think he will most likely meet up with a POV character (Arianne or Doran) and be able to lend some insight into Darkstar's actions.

ultimately I think the Daynes will explain what really happened during Robert's Rebellion, ToJ, etc.

and yes, Edric and Arya make a lot of sense

I agree with this, they had a better re pore together compared to Gendry and Arya

• 3 weeks later...

The sword Dawn is passed on to descendants of House Dayne, right? Perhaps Edric Dayne will wield it. I'm not one of the proponents that Dawn = Lightbringer since I tend to ascribe to Apple Martini's theory that the Night's Watch itself is Lightbringer.

Edric Dayne was a squire to Beric the Undead b/c of his aunt Allyria's engagement to him. We know that the BwB separated after Lady Stoneheart rose. Edric Dayne is also the rightful Lord of Starfall.

Do you think he's returned to Dorne or he's still out playing Robin Hood in the Riverlands?

Also, do we ever find out the name of his father? He's obviously a Dayne, but I can't remember if his first name was ever mentioned in the books.

I think Edric Dayne will appear in the future. Whether he plays a large or small role, that's yet to be seen but House Dayne is currently in possession of Dawn and no one yet in this generation has been heralded the new Sword of the Morning to wield it.

I think that he has already served his purpose from a plot standpoint and that was to be a red herring as to Jons true parentage. Just IMHO.

WOAH. completely forgot about that moment with Arya. I've had R+L = J on the brain since the second book so no surprises there as to why I forgot about this red herring. Hmm..

Well, he is the Lord of Starfall, so I expect he headed back there. There is a slim chance he stayed in the Riverlands and will be a part of whatever is cooking at Riverrun.

But Starfall is on the Dornish coast not far from Oldtown. We know the Ironborn are attacking the area, so Lord Dayne should probably head home and defend his people. I don't know how the equivalent of "Regency" works when a Lord is a minor as opposed to a King. Is there a Castellean at Starfall?

At any rate, I expect his house will take part in battle later. But I'm not expecting anything significant or badass.

Edric Dayne is the actual Lord of Starfall, not just the heir? I've read the books like 4 times now and I never noticed that :bang:

Edric and his aunt are the only members of House Dayne left...I never noticed that either. What happened to his parents? I really can't believe their House is so depleted. Whatever Edric's role is, the boy must live or House Dayne is probably done for :(

I don't think that he will become the new Sword of Morning in the story. It has to be earned and he's only around 14 now. He may do something pivotal in the new War for the Dawn to earn the right to be Arthur's successor though.

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling the split in the brotherhood will be important for Jaime/Brienne's storyline in TWOW - GRRM showed us who was in which branch of the BWB in the appendix to AFFC for a reason. I love Ned Dayne and I want to see him again, though, so it may be a smidgen of wishful thinking on my part.

I want him to be with Arya.

She was relatively very sweet to him and allowed him to call her "My Lady." She liked him and thought that he was nice.

He liked her too and appeared to accept her for who she was.

Plus, he's from Dorne.

The Ashara thing upset her but that's not anything that she can't get over.

Edric seems to be with the other branch of the BWB. Hopefully he stays safe.There is only him and Allyria left of the Daynes of Starfall.

House Dayne is ancient and I personally think that Dawn was the first Lightbringer so this house is important and needs to survive.

I think he's a better match for Sansa, he has the qualities I think Ned would want for his eldest daughter, also there is a history with the Daynes albeit more sad but not anger but respect on both sides.

• 5 months later...

I think he's a better match for Sansa, he has the qualities I think Ned would want for his eldest daughter, also there is a history with the Daynes albeit more sad but not anger but respect on both sides.

I agree. He may have the qualities that Sansa would want. She liked Joffrey because he was a Prince Charming, who acts with chivalry. Ned Dayne is not a coward, vicious fool, or a bastard . Plus, he actually has qualities of a knight, rather than pretending to have qualities of a knight. I hope that Edric has a role in the reveal of Jon Snow's parentage. I also hope that Jon survives, meets up with Edric and Gendry, and they go to the Vale, for whatever reason. But that's another part of the story, that will likely not happen.

I don't think he's going to be important to the plot again; he was just a red herring, like someone else mentioned. It might be cute to see him end up with Arya, but I doubt GRRM is generous enough to give us a nice relationship like that for a Stark. He'll probably become the Sword of the Morning, since he's the last male of the House, but it won't be for some time yet, so he probably won't be important to the overall story.

• 5 months later...

as Author Dayne carried Dawn and was hence called "The Sword of the Morning" and the fact carried it as a Kingsguard, I do not think someone being a mere Lord of Starfall gets to wield it...Since Ned brought Dawn back to Starfall, and we have not heard of it being wielded yet, not since the Tower of Joy... I was of the opinion that only a Dayne that proves himself "worthy" would wield Dawn, and be the next Sword of the Morning.

It seems common knowledge that Darkstar is kind of a douche (the whole lopping off little girl's ears and all) he was never "worthy" of it, had he been, he might be carrying it now...hence his attitude and the whole Darkstar name, because he knew he would never carry it. Whether he wanted to and was rebuffed, we don't know enough at this point, but I while I think Dawn stays with the Dayne family and I think a Dayne....

(maybe lil Ned's time with Berric and the BWB and the whole helping the small folk and being squire to an actual knight that had a sense of honor and duty will have proved him worthy)

that proves worthy will eventually wield it again, it doesn't seem like it is like the other traditional House Blades which pass down from one lord to the next, you aren't merely born into carrying Heartsbane, or Ice (RIP).... you have to prove yourself first.

Otherwise I think Dawn would have stayed with the Lord of Starfall.....just like how the Old Bear DIDN'T bring Longclaw with him into the Night's Watch....it was his Family's sword.....and just like how he never used it while in the Night's Watch after his son dishonored his house.

As to Lightbringer? IDK, Dawn sounds unique because it was forged from the heart of a fallen star...I would imagine that "metal" is fairly unique....I kinda have my doubts as to whether it is the Fiery Sword of AA..... Dawn being Lightbringer I always thought belonged in the crackpot theory parts of this website, along with Ice Dragons....and all the other many metaphors Martin uses when describing things that people try to take as literal and make "gospel"....Since there are so many POV's much of the text can't be taken literally....like almost anytime things are described through Summer's eyes....and the whole "smoke dragon" rising from Winterfell, or through the eyes of people that obviously know less than the reader....Mel was right, "stone" dragons did/would awake...Dany has them, yet Mel keeps trying to raise her own "stone dragons"

I think Edric and Gerold are due to have a Dayne-off. Gerold could kill Edric, he's twice his age (though, yes, he 'failed' to kill Myrcella) and is reputably "poisonous". Plus, he clearly retains some animosity towards the Daynes, as well as harbouring what seems to be a gross sense of self-entitlement.

Conversely, Edric might kill/order the killing of Darkstar, a villainous type who is, again, twice his age and certainly has a price on his head. This might warrant Edric's becoming the Sword of the Morning, or simply afford him the respect and aid of other characters in the books for cleaning up the shitstorm that is Ser Gerold.

Personally, I'd enjoy seeing Edric and Ser Gerold going toe-to-toe in a duel to decide who will wield Dawn. The Dornishmen are getting stripped of their figureheads, whether it's a national badass on a quest for Dornish justice (Oberyn), or heirs who possess the potential to tie Dorne to other powers (Quentyn, poor lad).

Dorne needs its Sword of the Morning; a totemic figure who the Dornish will feel a little prouder rallying with, the revival of a what is essentially a cultural and military icon, an embodiment of Dornish vigour. Well, I'd like to see that anyway.

Archived