The face of Jaqen, the Alchemist... and Daario

Bran Vras

The Lhazar mission is the biggest one, and how easily he is able to sail to mereen and back form Oldtown.

The personality is barely worth a footnote, these are faceless men, their supposed ot be good at mummery, even if they are stoic or unflamboyant during their off hours they can act as anyone, because its not just one thing to look like someone, but you got walk, and talk like them too.

Also why did Jaquen(if it were) need to bone Dany? We see he is in a good point to assasinate her alone in bed,if he wished, what are the motives?

My beleif about Jaquen is that he went West and was the FM who killed Balon Greyjoy and then went to the Oldtown where he became the alchemist/Pate. Slavers Bay has no connection to Bravos, there is no trade between them. You could make an arguement that the Many Faced God is worshiped in secret there just like it was in Valyria. Personaly I think Daario is exactly what he appaers to be, a sellsword captian. Thats what he says he is and thats what all the evidence points to.

All reasonable points about Jaqen. I keep that option open... among others.

About Daario, if he is a Faceless Man, or some agent in disguise, it's not surprising that we don't detect it.

My view is that Daario is an agent, that he operates for a big power (perhaps a Free City), that the Stormcrows have been sent with him, and that the little comedy of the initial elimination of the two other captains has been arranged to impress Dany (and it worked). The Stormcrows do not seem to be a well known company (Mormont, himself a former sellsword does not know them).

My 20 cents about golden teeth:

In various cultures (in our world) fake golden teeth are used to show that their owner/wearer is a part of particular sub-culture, like a mark helping members of this society to recognise one another in the crowd.

For example, in hip-hop culture

In Russian post WWII street gang-world they used cheaper version of the Grill (golden foil tape etc) to identify fellow gang members (it was called FIX). Sorry, I don't have a link for this.

My point is, if Alchemist and Daario are actually both FM (not necessary a same person), they can use a golden tooth as a signal to their order mates. I know, that Jaqen hasn't show us any teeth, golden or wooden, but maybe he just wasn't in a mood for smiling, while talking to Arya? :dunno:

The choise of a thin blade, referred to as a stiletto in daario's case, and as thin as Arya's finger in jaqen's case is also a shared feature

Oooh that is an interesting addition Ungodsly. I shamefully admit I missed most of the connecting threads GRRM makes in my speedy read-through (Jaqen = Alchemist for example), but I did find myself thinking the descriptions of Jaqen and Daario were eerily similar.. So I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread.

I like the Euron theory mentioned earlier even better though

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived