Who would have the highest IQ?

Ser Erebus

Queen Cersei's posts always make me laugh! :D

I think the highest IQ would be either LF or Varys. They seem the most adept at reacting to unforseen circumstances, and making the best of things.That's not to say there aren't other smart characters out there - Tywin, Tyrion, Olenna Tyrell, Aemon, Marg etc. but they're not really as good at playing the game as Varys and LF, so I wouldn't say they're the smartest.

almost forgot OBERYN MARTELL!

he even has a maester chain!

Thank you.

How in seven hells did this thread get to 8 pages without anyone mentioning everyones favorite Warrior/Traveler/Maester/ScholarPotioner and Politician?

I think there are a lot of people in the books that would have a high IQ. Varys and LF without a doubt, and probably Illyrio. Okay, yes, Illyrio. Anyone else, it's hard for me to tell. A lot of people can be extremely clever but not score high on an IQ test. Tyrion is a good example. He's incredibly smart, but we've seen him outplayed several times and been several steps behind others. Also, I'm not the biggest support of IQ tests (and NO, I haven't taken one), but that's a whole different topic.

ETA: Oh and probably Rodrik Harlaw because he does nothing but read.

Thank you.

How in seven hells did this thread get to 8 pages without anyone mentioning everyones favorite Warrior/Traveler/Maester/ScholarPotioner and Politician?

Probably because Oberyn's most memorable scene in the books ends up with him behaving like an idiot and dying because of it.

Probably because Oberyn's most memorable scene in the books ends up with him behaving like an idiot and dying because of it.

And yet lots of people mentioned Doran who's cunning plan to get revenge was to sit around watching children play in the pools for 17 years and dreaming about how awesome revenge would be.

Hmmm tough question, given how you interpret the characters ....

But, I think the 'safe' bets would be: (in no particular order)

Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys, maybe Tywin and maybe Oberyn.....

To be honest, there is so much we don't know about other characters its hard judge their 'IQ' level

Also, I'm surprised by how many people (earlier in the thread) listed Margaery as one of their 'top ten'.....if someone can explain their reasoning to me....i'm very curious.

I think Littlefinger would have to be at the top. His financial skill is unparalleled (as many characters acknowledge throughout the series) and his capabilities in both planned and improvised political action surpass those of any other characters that we've seen. I'd say Tyrion is a close second, he hasn't demonstrated his abilities to the extent that Petyr has but from his witty POV the potential is definitely there.

Tywin is a very clever man too, which enhances the points of comparison between Tyrion and Tywin.

ok... is Young Griff planning to use a different chair? what makes you think the regions the lead support the liege lords? Didn't Roose Bolton send Robb Jamie Lannister's regards? Didn't Walder Frey cage Edmure Tully. Didn't Reigns and Tarbecks trouble Tytos Lannister? Didn't the Florents hope to bring the Tyrells low? Didn't Robert first have to the stormslords before turning of the Targeryans? Kingmaker

Didn't Lyanna Mormont tell Stannis that her family recognizes only one king, and he's a Stark? Didn't Wyman Manderly promise to bend the knee to Stannis if Davos returns his liege lord to him? Hasn't basically every northern family, with the exceptions of the Boltons, Karstarks, and to a lesser extent Dustins and Ryswells, been shown to be ultimately loyal to the Starks? Didn't Tytos Blackwood and Jason Mallister continue to resist the Frey/Lannister forces well after Robb was killed? Wasn't Catelyn able to get Willis Wode and the Three Stooges to back her play against Tyrion simply by appealing to their and their lords' loyalty to the Tullys? Don't all the Westerlands families we've seen within the actual story, with the possible exception of the Westerlings, seem to be completely loyal to Tywin and his family? Don't Randyll Tarly and Paxter Redwyne and Mathis Rowan continue to loyally serve a man whose given no sign that he has any idea what he's doing? Don't the Vale lords obey Jon Arryn's widow for as long as she lives, despite their own deep misgivings as to her policies, and only move into open rebellion against Littlefinger, a rebellion which is explicitly based on their loyalty to the Arryns? Didn't you basically cherry-pick almost all the important examples of bannerman disloyalty while ignoring numerous examples of loyalty?

Bannerman loyalty isn't absolute or unconditional, but it's a real thing, and has real value. Even at their lowest points, the Tullys and Starks still have a reservoir of loyalty to them that could very well lead to their restoration to power. Even at his highest point, Littlefinger commands no genuine loyalty from anyone, and no one would mourn him if he fell out the Moon Door.

Well, as mentioned by some people, most of you guys cannot seem to differ between intelligence, knowledge and life experience.

1. Petyr Baelish is simply the most intelligent out there. His brain is incredibly good at working with his knowledge.

2. I do think it must be Tyrion. He is not as intelligent as Littlefinger but he really has a fast working and sharp mind.

3. Varys. I know that he has vast knowledge, probably greater than anyone else in the books, but his mind seems to work perfectly with it all.

4. Qyburn. The man is a wretched creature, but he still seems like Dr. Jekyll.

5. Queen of Thornes. Well, she is an old lady with a lot of experience but she is certainly clever.

I won't put anymore on the list so far.

I can't rank them but I know these are smart people:

Maester Aemon, Tyrion, Tywin, Varys, Illyrio, LF, Olenna Redwyne, Marwyn and Qyburn, Roose Bolton, Manderly, Doran Martell, maybe Oberyn Martell, Mance, Val (else she has magic), The Reader, Arya (seriously, think about it) and I'd like to think Dolorous Edd as well.

And of course HODOR!

I like this topic!

There are different sorts of intelligence though, many of which are not measured by the IQ test, but are nonetheless very valuable to success. I think whilst the Maesters Aemon and Luwin would rank highly in an IQ test, Tyrion, with his wit and his ability to read people, to manipulate others and outwit strategically his enemiesm ranks more highly. Rhaegar would probably rank a bit like a Maester - book smart, intellectual, musical, but it's hard to judge without having really 'known' him. I like the suggestions of Dolorous Edd (his wit is a definite indicator of high intelligence) and Missandei (very able little girl, a real bright spark). I would not rate Sam very highly, he is book-smart only, and seems to lack all other forms of intelligence. Jaime, much as I love him and would like him to rank as 'top ten most intelligent' does not belong there. He's bright, but others are more so. Varys and Littlefinger are undoubtedly very smart, but I think Varys the smarter of the two; Littlefinger seems rather too consumed with a need to prove to others that he was worth a Tully girls' hand in marriage. Varys is actually juggling more balls than Littlefinger (ooo-er! I mean, oops!) so I rate him as the brighter of the two. I would still place Tyrion ahead though. I don't rate either of those Bolton's: cruelty and intelligence do NOT go hand in hand, it has been proven. I do consider Margaery a very bright girl - she needed to be to survive Cersei's scheming as she did.

1. Tyrion

2. Missandei

3. Oberyn

4. Varys

5. Littlefinger

6. Maester Aemon

7. Queen of Thorns

I haven't really read anything about how one deduces the IQ of historical figures or gauges how fictional characters would score on IQ tests so I'm just going by my gut reaction to these characters:

Varys

Littlefinger

Tyrion

Queen of Thorns

Doran Martell

Oberyn Martell

Sarella Sand/ Alleras

Mance Rayder

Vagarro's Whore

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Kindly Old Man

Missandei