[No Spoilers] Roy Dotrice as the Pyromancer Hallyne

How many fans of Roy Dotrice's aSoIaF audiobook work even noticed him as the Pyromancer? I completely missed him because I forgot who he was playing, but on my second viewing I really enjoyed his performance. Pretty great work for a man quickly approaching 90!

I was looking for him - I am a huge fan of Roy Dotrice and had seen the blurb that said he would be Hallyne. I first "read" the five books via audiobook (I drive extensively) and then went back and read the books and am now listening again to the CoK audiobook to follow along with Season 2 on HBO. For me the characters will always be the way they were portrayed by Roy Dotrice in those audiobooks, he did an amazing job. I am so glad he had a part in the HBO series so he would be part of the story on film as well and he did an EXCELLENT job as Hallyne.

I really feel his audiobook readings of the books are a body of work all their own, and worry what will happen if he is not around to tape the audiobook versions of the next two books. There will be a real loss of continuity if that happens, it is jarring for audiobook readers to have to adjust to a new narrator mid-stream in a series of books....GRRM needs to get those books out so Dotrice can read them before he gets much older!

Is it my imagination or does the HBO Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) sound exactly like Tyrion as Dotrice reads him? I love that about the HBO series.

Yeah, I don' hold out much hope that he'll get to read us Winds of Winter let alone the final book, I know it's just a ton of reading, but the guy has got to retire some time. I think that's the only real tavesty of GRRM taking so long on the 4th and 5th novels.

I agree about Tyrion btw, maybe not exact but I think maybe Mr. Dinklage took a few pointers from the audiobook adaptation.

Roy Dotrice was outstanding in his cameo as the Master Pyromancer. In truth I did not recognize him the first time; he looked very different from the last time I saw him on HellBoy II and a lot older than in The Cutting Edge. But I thought his performance, particularly his vocal interpretation, of the Pyromancer was excellent and well acted.

I only wish he lad a larger role in the series, perhaps that of Grand Maester Pycelle, but perhaps Dotrice's age has something to do with that. He's a fine actor and would be the among the best in any scene.

If you only listen to one make it A Storm of Swords, I still get chills thinking about his vocal performance of a certain fight. That final "crunch!" almost made me sick to my stomach.

"I have not conducted that particular experiment..." made me laugh out loud. My dog woke up and demanded to know what the hubbub was.

I woke my gf at 4:30 am watching that :lol: ,Roy is a legend. I hope he does a reading of AFFC at some point.

I pictured Hallyne as more sinister than comical, but I loved the portrayal.

"And of course, flesh! It melts flesh like tallow!" And then Tyrion gives him that look and carefully hands him the jar back. I just burst out laughing.

Yes to all who mentioned Roy Dotrice's audiobook readings. He is simply amazing and his many voices give each character a unique life of their own. As mentioned previously, his characterization of Dolores Edd is incredible. And I like, particularly in A Storm of Swords, his vocal renditions of Tyrion and Jamie Lannister, similar yet distinct, as one might expect with brothers.

Roy is great and I am glad to hear he rerecorded A Feast For Crows...Jon Lee was absolutely terrible as the voice over artist.

Despite having listened to all 5 books with his voice, I did NOT recognize him. What I did recognize, though, was his hilariousness. The character was brilliantly played and much more entertaining than I remember him from the books. His refusal to react on any kind of humour was wonderful and he's exactly the kind of person I would expect in a position like this. Reminds me a lot of my university research times when I had to socialize with folks that has been locked up with books for 60 years.

May he live long and more specifically (and egoistically) speaking, may he definitely live long enough to do books 6 and 7 (or however many there will be in the end).

Yes, he did AFFC late last year, it was released in December 2011. And I love the way he makes Tyrion and Jamie sound simliar yet distinct, exactly how you would expect brothers to sound. If you take the HBO Tyrion and Jamie and put them in a room together they do not speak as if they were raised in the same family - although both are excellent. Those are the types of subtleties Dotrice nails in the audiobooks.

Dolores Edd is so well done by Dotrice, as are the other characters. I really like the way he does Ygritte, even though she is a young girl and his is an older man, he portrays her so well. I love the way he says "....you know nothing Jon Snow....."

He makes Walder Frey much more in line with a 90 year old man, the HBO series makes him look too young. I think Dotrice nails Walder Frey with that " he, he, he".....but he does so many characters so well we just can't list them all.

He strikes me as having tremendous energy and a great voice.Not quite the slimy,oozing Hallyne I read in the books but,hmmmmmm perhaps an improvement,yes.

It would be great to see him play another character

Archived