[Book Spoilers] Jaqen H'gar prays to the Red God?

The FM are Hindus? Who knew?

In a way, yes. It was mentioned up-thread that the Faceless Men see all gods associated with death as being different versions of the same thing. I don't think this is exactly it. My understanding is that the Faceless Men see all gods as being different versions of the same thing and they recognize and respect them as such. But the Faceless Men see one thing as being supreme above all else, even the gods, and that is death. After all, everything eventually "dies", even gods. The Faceless Men are dedicated to the worship of death.

Or it could be that Jaquen was just using the red god as an excuse to get Arya to dip her toes into the assassin game and he doesn't believe that 3 lives were saved so 3 must be lost stuff. Doesn't really fit with the FM philosophy.

I have no problem with them slimming down on religion for the show, three is enough.

So you'd like Arya to be trained by the Red Priests? That would be quite a deviation. And an unnecessary one. People manage to keep track of 6 main religions in real life + atheism; is it so hard to keep track of 4 fictional ones?

It's kept a bit muddy in the books, probably on purpose. The Red God is supposed to be one, while the Many-Faced God worshiped by the Faceless Men could have some similarity to the Seven, as the seven could just be different aspects of the same thing, rather than a true polytheist religion. At least that's been compared and discussed in the books. The wildlings and the children have the old gods and their trees for spying. I wonder if they're all praying to the same god(s), just using a different interpretation.

• 5 weeks later...

In the last episode, episode 10, Jaqen mentions the "Red God" again. He says, " A girl has many names on her lips. Joffrey, Cersei, Tywin Lannister, Illyn Payne, The Hound. Names to offer up to the Red God. She could offer them all, one by one."

This reference to the red god troubles me. It sounds as though Jaqen and the faceless men serve the Red God. As well as the Red God being the god of death. It would upset me if they make Jaqen a follower of R'llor same as Melisandre. I wonder what Martin's thoughts are on this reference. If he's ok with it, that's fine, maybe it's an insight to the Red God...

Archived