What triggered the return of "old magic"?

dollybird

The ability to warg, the dire wolves, the others, the dragons, they are all things from the past, stories old nan told, things no longer seen in Westeros. Why was there a sudden awakening of "old magic", if old magic is the correct term to use. Was it all just a series of coincidences or was it all a response to the return of the others, assuming the others are returning or awakening. I guess with the sudden surge of wildlings fleeing south that the others were not always wandering about north of the wall.Where did they come from and what brings them back right now?? Is winter coming because the others are coming or are the others coming because winter is coming???? Will they always appear when winter comes? Obviously GRRM has reason to keep the others a mystery why george why???Questions, questions...........

Dragons ARE the reason. They mention it probably 50 times

I don't think it's that clear-cut. Did dragons bring magic back, or did magic bring dragons back? Note that a lot of magical stuff — the Others returning, six Stark wargs born in one generation, direwolves, I presume Melisandre's visions of Azor Ahai, etc. — came before the dragons were hatched. I think dragons are a result of magic coming back, not the cause, even if they might "help along" some fire magic themselves.

We can only speculate so far. It may have some relationship to the birth of dragons as well.

I feel that we can say with some confidence that the coming of winter alone isn't the main cause of the changes, however. Most of the characters have lived through the last winter, which ended sometime between 281 AL (the Year of the False Spring) and 290 AL or so (when the Stark Children were already all born). Yet the Others are a legend and haven't been seen in centuries, the last dragon died over a century ago, etc. So Winter isn't enough to create a rise at the level of ambiental magic.

I don't think it's that clear-cut. Did dragons bring magic back, or did magic bring dragons back? Note that a lot of magical stuff — the Others returning, six Stark wargs born in one generation, direwolves, I presume Melisandre's visions of Azor Ahai, etc. — came before the dragons were hatched. I think dragons are a result of magic coming back, not the cause, even if they might "help along" some fire magic themselves.

Agreed.

Possibly the returning of the comet, even before it was seen in the skies?

But basically we are all just guessing. I don't think there are any really decent clues - the return of dragons is a much repeated 'clue' but timing strongly suggests that this is a result, not a cause.

You guys are trying to chicken/egg this because you don't want to admit dany brought magic back. She hatched dragons, magic came back.

Then explain the other instances of magic that predate the dragons.

But no, you're right. Dany is single-handedly responsible for bringing teh magik back. She also landed on the moon, invented a low-fat snack cake that doesn't skimp on taste, and was a part of the SEAL Team Six that offed Osama bin Laden.

In all honesty I assumed that there is always a fair level of low level magic going on. The FM could still put on other faces. Red priests and priestesses could still see things.

I also don't think others are magic but just a different race of bipeds.

Game of Thrones begins with the first appearance of the Others in thousands of years and ends with the birth of the dragons. Maybe it's a matter of balance with fire rising again to counter ice. How long was Mance digging around up North. Was he looking for means to defend against the Others or is he an ambitious man waking something up he didn't mean to looking for a means to power?

I agree that The Doom may have had something to do the magic fading from the world.

But mainly, I think it just might be cyclical, like instead of the planet going through climate changes (there seems to be 2 main seasons in Westeros, summer/winter) it goes through magical cycles where magical influence holds sway for some time, then wanes off for a few hundred years, then rises to prominence again.

The ability to warg, the dire wolves, the others, the dragons, they are all things from the past, stories old nan told, things no longer seen in Westeros. Why was there a sudden awakening of "old magic", if old magic is the correct term to use. Was it all just a series of coincidences or was it all a response to the return of the others, assuming the others are returning or awakening. I guess with the sudden surge of wildlings fleeing south that the others were not always wandering about north of the wall.Where did they come from and what brings them back right now?? Is winter coming because the others are coming or are the others coming because winter is coming???? Will they always appear when winter comes? Obviously GRRM has reason to keep the others a mystery why george why???Questions, questions...........

The ability to warg was never gone from the world, there were several wargs north of the wall before the stark children, same with dire wolfs and The Others.

Magic was never totally gone from the world, in Essos there was magic not as powerful but still, Westeros had almost no magic, but part of that was the Citadel.

I doubt Dragons are the only reason, they are not the unique source of magic in GRRM world.

Archived