[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] TWOP n00bs Thread II

Xray the Enforcer

[MOD]

Folks,

It is against the policy of this board to discuss disciplinary actions, comments, or any form of dirty laundry from other boards on this site. A reminder of this rule (from our own FAQ) is reposted below:

QuoteSimilarly, if you have a personal beef against a user of this or any other forum, deal with them directly, post to your blog/LiveJournal/MySpace, whatever, so long as this forum is not used to air out your dirty laundry.

For that reason, this thread is now closed.

[/MOD]

From the last thread's OP:

Posters in this thread

Please abide by these rules:

We do not

name any TWoP by his/her username.

We do not

[accuse TWoP posters of being bookwalkers or otherwise being dishonest cheats. That constitutes 'gossiping' and 'talking behind their backs' about members of another website, and our mods will close us down for that. Who is or isn't a bookwalker over at TWoP is THEIR business, not ours.

We do not

air any beefs or grievances with the TWoP site here. If you've been banned from there, or think their policies are unfair or whatever your beef with them, take it up with them. Don't bring it here.

New posters to this thread

If you see another member here whinging and posting negative comments about their personal complaints against TWoP, or violating the above rules, report the post. Thank you.

Link to TWoP original thread, now closed:

http://forums.televi...3204374&st=2910

We're off to a fresh new start, peeps! Probably a good idea to take our mod's advice--if you see a post that violates our mod's rules, just report it to the mod. Its anonymous and a lot less aggravating than trying to argue things out in the thread.

ONWARD! Who's got some good stuff to start us off?

ETA: Okay, this is hilarious! The poster obviously heard the word 'wight' and thought it was 'white.' He/she gets straightened out later by someone else.

Also wonderful is that the Unsullied are calling Half-Hand and Jon's raiding party Seal Team Four.

That reminds me of something Jon Snow said to get himself inducted into Seal Team Four. He said "I've fought and killed a 'white'. How many rangers can say that?" Then "Lord Halfhand" says "He's the one?" It made me wonder a 'white' What? The only killing that Jon has done that I can remember was the zomboni that attacked Lord Mormont and I would say that was more of a 'Blue' than a 'white' (as you point out). Perhaps members of the Night's Watch suffer from snow blindness and see things as either black or white? Heh, that sounds more like a Stark malady (it's black or it's white, it's honourable or it's not), but the others appeared to know what Jon was referring to, so I guess our zombonis are their Whites?

It seemed a little odd to me at the time, but I forgot about it when the scene moved to the next location. There was a lot going on this episode.

Maybe the writers would have been better off leaving them called The Others. Now those without captions can't quite be sure of the difference between Wights and Whites...

Well, I think in the books that the White Walkers were 'The Others.' The wights are still wights. (Though I found it very funny that the TWoP'er thought they should be called the blues. As to the phrase, 'The Others, I'm sure the show is trying to get away from that phrase, since it was quite prominent in 'Lost.'

Yeah I'm surprised they didn't just change Wight to something more recognizable. Would it have been that jarring to call them zombies?

Anyway, a new quote that piqued my interest:

And this can only mean that Mance Rayder is Jon's true father!

It's been a while since my last reread, but didn't Mance actually go to Winterfell and sleep with one of the Stark women at some point? It would be hilarious if Mance was not Jon's father, but somewhere in his ancestry.

Wight/white was actually something I was worried about going into the season. If they were willing to change Osha to Yara, I don't see why they couldn't find another word for wight.

LOL, the Unsullied call them 'zomboni's', but I guess that wouldn't work for an official name. :P

It's been a while since my last reread, but didn't Mance actually go to Winterfell and sleep with one of the Stark women at some point? It would be hilarious if Mance was not Jon's father, but somewhere in his ancestry.

You are thinking of the story of Bael the Bard that Ygrette told Jon the night he captured her. http://awoiaf.wester.../index.php/Bael

Bael does end fathering the next generation of Starks, so in a very distant way, all Starks have wilding blood in them.

Mance also uses an anagram of Bael when he sneaks into Winterfell to rescue not!Arya in ADWD.

so far as I know Quhorin isn't planning to kill Mance by emitting some foul wind from his nether regions.

I laughed so hard at this.

The only major house that i can think of would be dorne but we know almost nothing about them other than they make good wine and they seem to hate everyone which is why i think of them.

And the girls... dont forget about Dornish girls... =D

They've had a pretty good discussion trying to figure out Melisandre's motivations and aims, but there is one key thing that they've missed. In her very first scene this season, where she is introduced, and she is giving that speech on the beach as the Seven burn. I'm going from memory, but she says something about the dead rising in the north. That should be a big indication to them that her motivations aren't all selfish, that she knows about what is going on north of the wall, which is not something anyone outside of the Night's Watch knows about or takes seriously.

Insightful, as always...

...everything about Stannis indicates (to me) that there's something missing in him...it isn't the same thing as bad acting...it's that if (and this is just an arbitrary number) people had ten emotional responses within them and we all came with that number...then it seems like Stannis currently only has access to six of them and in the actor's performance is this hint that the other four are trapped in a closet in his head, hammering against the door. There but unable to reach him. I have no idea if that will make any sense to anyone, but what I'm talking about is how much the actor has going on behind his eyes every time there's a closeup of him. He says these incredibly cold, detached things and then there's this mad, trapped glint in his eye the entire time.

And the ladies are definitely swanning over Jaqen (and this girl agrees, ahem...)

A man can have fantastic hair, and really should share his secrets with all of the greasy dudes on Westeros.

I'd say a man is rather sexy for a commoner, under Westerosi standards or my own.

A man is a hottie. A girl would definitely hit that.

I liked the discussion they had about Lancel a few times earlier, they really did understand him, and the actor (Eugene Simon) is doing a fantastic job !

I totally agree with the comments that iheartseverus has quoted concerning Stannis and the actor who portrays him on the show. Whoever wrote that is a very observant person.

I know on these boards Stannis has a lot of fans, which is personally something I don't share. But he is interesting for the reasons that this person has pointed out. I have always felt that of the 3 Baratheon boy's Stannis got the least amount of personality or whatever you want to call it. He is a smart guy, but Dexter Morgan has more feelings than him.

The show and the actor is doing a good job of portraying his character accurately from the books.

Archived