In Defense of Rhaegar.

GreyDeLeon

I definitely believe that Rhaegar was not a rapist. I think that Lyanna, already discontent at the thought of marrying Robert, was at the very least infatuated with the brooding, romantic, gorgeous prince who crowned her Queen of Love and Beauty at Harrenhal. She was all of fourteen, "willful" by the later assessment of the brother who loved her, it would have been tremendously tempting, and exciting, to elope with Rhaegar, especially if he told her that the fate of the world (or some similarly huge destiny) depended on her giving him a baby Prince-that-was-Promised.

I don't think that either Rhaegar or Lyanna thought that a terrible civil war killing thousands of people and destroying Rhaegar's family as well as Lyanna's brother and father would result from their actions. And I would like to know what prophecies/lore Rhaegar saw that made him decide to change his life and later believe he needed another child that Elia couldn't give him. He had to know that there could be some unpleasant consequences to his taking off with Lord Stark's maiden daughter who was also betrothed to another high lord, what could be worth taking such a risk? If Rhaegar is convinced, because of a prophecy or lore or whatever, that not just a few hundred people, but hundreds of thousands or a million or two people will die if he does not sire the third head of the dragon, and Elia may not be able to carry one to term much less survive herself, does he take a chance that the prophecy is wrong or take another wife in the belief that their families will have a reasonable response?

I also wonder whether Rhaegar and Lyanna tried to leave word that he was taking her away of her own free will, that it was not rape, he was going to make her his second wife. I'm not sure how much a 'Dear Robert' raven-letter, or notes to her brothers and father, would have helped.

I don't blame Lyanna in this situation; Rhaegar was the crown prince of the Seven Kingdoms and an adult in his twenties, Lyanna was a fourteen-year-old girl. (interesting thought that probably doesn't belong in this thread - is the tendency to defy/desert one's family for the sake of a prince one believes one loves an inherited characteristic in Stark daughters?) I think that Rhaegar did not pay enough attention to the potential fallout of his elopment. He could have waited a few months, long enough to send Elia and the kids to Dorne for an extended vacation and possibly execute a coup that would make him Regent for his father.

I am sorry for Rhaegar, but more sorry for the people who died to fulfill whatever desire, or prophecies, were driving him.

I am preaty sure he is not a rapist also, If he was it would strange that Ned didn't hold almost any grudge (or any) twoards him, as Robert did... Robert is obiviously in denial, he wouldn't accept that he was beiying betrayed and prefered to think she was raped.

They probably loved each other... and in The Game of thrones, when you love you die! (It makes sense, Luck in love bad luck in games, and when you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there are no middle grounds).

If we look back every maridge made out of love/desire was dommed in a Song of Ice and fire... you can argue "Oh and what about Ned and Catlyn?" Truth be told they love each other now, but it was stated that they didn't first and maried for political things... I don't recall a single couple that was maried for love and lived haply..

Archived