Drogo didn't rape Dany

eyeheartsansa

I think it's pointless to compare RL laws and Westeros culture towards the age of consent. Everyone seems to be much too young for basically anything that happens in the book (ex: Robb leading a war at 14, or Tyrion marrying Tysha when they're both 13 -and Tywin's problem is that she's poor, not their age).

I think that Dany and Drogo's first night definitely wasn't rape: she explicitly gave consent, so that's ok.

As to the following nights... well, while I was reading that part i simply assumed that she was in pain because of the wounds she had from the saddle, and the Dothraki doggy-style position didn't help (In fact, as soon as her skins thickens, she stops finding sex painful too).

She hides her tears from him, and apparently he's not aware of her discomfort.

I thought that she should have said something, and that he was really hopeless in bed, but it looks more like a problem of culture/communication than an actual rape.

Seems to me that you just learned about that writer. ;)

Seems to me the book was recommended, and I learnt a bit about it before I bought it. Seems like that's normal, is it not? It's been on my to-read pile for a while.

Meaning?

Meaning it's a book about a man who is in love with at least one young girl and thinks that's normal. What else would I mean?

Seems to me the book was recommended, and I learnt a bit about it before I bought it. Seems like that's normal, is it not? It's been on my to-read pile for a while.

Meaning it's a book about a man who is in love with at least one young girl and thinks that's normal. What else would I mean?

It is a novel of manners with erotic motifs, for grown-up readers. I don't think a child would have an emotional maturity to fully understand it. Also, most of the literary value of Lolita is in how it was written, its language and style, and not because a man falls in lust and love with young girls. When you are done reading it, you might agree with me. Lolita is not 50 Shades of Grey.

It is a novel of manners with erotic motifs, for grown-up readers. I don't think a child would have an emotional maturity to fully understand it. Also, most of the literary value of Lolita is in how it was written, its language and style, and not because a man falls in lust and love with young girls. When you are done reading it, you might agree with me. Lolita is not 50 Shades of Grey.

Dracarya was clearly just making a little joke about the novel's narrator being interested in little girls and was obviously not trying to say that Lolita is poorly written, or written for children.

My god, it was a joke. I meant the narrator is only for children, not that the book is. I may not have read it yet, but I'm not thick as shit - it's quite clearly not a book meant to be read by children.

Thank you, Onion!

I think it's pointless to compare RL laws and Westeros culture towards the age of consent. Everyone seems to be much too young for basically anything that happens in the book (ex: Robb leading a war at 14, or Tyrion marrying Tysha when they're both 13 -and Tywin's problem is that she's poor, not their age).

I think that Dany and Drogo's first night definitely wasn't rape: she explicitly gave consent, so that's ok.

As to the following nights... well, while I was reading that part i simply assumed that she was in pain because of the wounds she had from the saddle, and the Dothraki doggy-style position didn't help (In fact, as soon as her skins thickens, she stops finding sex painful too).

She hides her tears from him, and apparently he's not aware of her discomfort.

I thought that she should have said something, and that he was really hopeless in bed, but it looks more like a problem of culture/communication than an actual rape.

Drogo didn't stop when she cried on the wedding night. He told her no.

What? Am I forgetting something, or are you talking about the TV show?

"She stood there helpless and trembling in her wedding silks while he secured the horses,and when he turned to look at her she began to cry. Khal Drogo stared at her tears, his face strangely empty of expression. "No" he said. He lifted his hand and rubbed away the tears roughly with a calloused thumb."

She cried because she was scared. What happened at the end of the chapter shows how it progressed from there. She was quite literally wet and willing.

Yes she didn't want to but she understood that it was going to happen. He didn't stop though when she started to cry. It was still going to be consumated.

I think that he understood that she was scared, and somehow tried to comfort her.

When it came to the true "consummation" part, he asked permission.

I think that maybe we are all a bit influenced by the TV serie: that part was completely different from the book (and really uncomfortable to look at).

Yes she didn't want to but she understood that it was going to happen. He didn't stop though when she started to cry. It was still going to be consumated.

Theoretically. You don't know how that scene would have ended had she said "No" instead of "Yes" when he asked her. The fact is, he eased her into it, and she was comfortable and willing to have sex at the end of it. If he was going to just consummate the marriage, he would have just forcibly fucked her rather than being gentle surely? Being a rapist and all.

We don't know how things would have played out. I think you're making a huge assumption here.

Theoretically. You don't know how that scene would have ended had she said "No" instead of "Yes" when he asked her. The fact is, he eased her into it, and she was comfortable and willing to have sex at the end of it. If he was going to just consummate the marriage, he would have just forcibly fucked her rather than being gentle surely? Being a rapist and all.

:agree:

Dany did become compliant and willing after she stopped crying. I'm making the point that it did not stop in the beginning when she wasn't willing.

Dany did become compliant and willing after she stopped crying. I'm making the point that it did not stop in the beginning when she wasn't willing.

Well, it sounds harsh, but if that was the case they probably never would have had sex. Being a virgin, she wouldn't know whether she would enjoy it or not, especially with a guy who looked like Drogo. He had to do something to try and show that it wasn't going to be traumatic.

Archived