Why did the Mad King want Robert dead in the beggining after he killed Ned's Father?

TheColdWinds

No, that was Pycelle.

Oh..... That's right..... It works for Varys' whole agenda of stirring up war and dissent though. I mean, I still think Varys urged Aerys to kill Brandon and Rickard and Eddard and Robert because he knew that the North and East would rise. I don't think it all falls on Aerys and I don't think Varys is blameless.

It's mentioned in ADWD (IIRC) that Ned's fathers' Maester gave him ideas and "Southern Ambitions". But to be honest that doesn't mean any conspiracy, it could just as easily mean that Rickard wanted to be less isolationist and just make some ties with Southern Kingdoms.

As for Varys, there are theories that he may himself be a Blackfyre descendant and he worked to encourage Aerys' paranoia to overthrow the Targaryens and set up a Blackfyre restoration.

It's mentioned in ADWD (IIRC) that Ned's fathers' Maester gave him ideas and "Southern Ambitions". But to be honest that doesn't mean any conspiracy, it could just as easily mean that Rickard wanted to be less isolationist and just make some ties with Southern Kingdoms.

As for Varys, there are theories that he may himself be a Blackfyre descendant and he worked to encourage Aerys' paranoia to overthrow the Targaryens and set up a Blackfyre restoration.

You know, it always seemed more likely to me that Varys was simply doing his job as Master of Whispers, which was to find out information about the Realm and reporting it to Aerys. As such, if there was truly a potential rebellion brewing in the kingdom, then he would have told Aerys. What Aerys chose to do with this information, or if it made him even crazier, is really no fault of Varys. I find it odd that people accuse Varys of causing Aerys' insanity, if all he ever did was the job he was asked to do.

I think Areys actions put his son in a bad position, he effectively blew any chance of negotiating by killing the Starks. I also get the sense that he felt threatened by Rhaegar as well, but he felt as though he could kill his way through the problem.

I think Areys actions put his son in a bad position, he effectively blew any chance of negotiating by killing the Starks. I also get the sense that he felt threatened by Rhaegar as well, but he felt as though he could kill his way through the problem.

And he did! Aerys and Varys suspected Rhaegar of mounting a coup against him, but after the rebellion began, Rhaegar fought on the side of his father. Actually, now that I think about it, I have no idea why he did, considering that everyone was very well aware that Aerys was to blame for the murders, and not the Targaryens as a whole. Oh well...

I'm pretty sure the moment rob Baratheon found out that rhaegar ran off with his bride to be he went into rebellion.

He didn't-Bob didn't start the shebang. Jon Arryn began the rebellion when he called his banners after Aerys demanded Bob's and Ned's heads.

Related topic, but why is Varys a pro-Targareyan supporter? We know Illyrio hopes for lordship, fame and fortune in Westeros, that's why he's trying to restore Dany and/or Aegon to the throne. But what does Varys hope to get out of the situation? He's done everything to foster war in Westeros so it's ripe for Targareyan picking - but why? He tells Ned in the dungeon that he wants "peace in the realm", but his actions speak otherwise when he murders Kevan Lannister, allows Tyrion to kill his father, etc. If the Lannisters won the war, peace would have been served by letting them rule, but instead he wants war and Targareyn conquest. What could he hope to gain by this? He doesn't seem to care much about money or titles....

Could it have somethign to do with the sorcerer who castrated him?

Why does a targ do anything? Because it is in their nature, killing inocents is what they do, you might as well ask why does a bear shit in the woods.

Come now, King Jahaerys, King Viserys I, King Daeron II, King Aegon III, Kings Aegon V, I and Jahaerys II were all good-decent Kings. Not to mention Aemon the Dragonknight, Aemon the Maester, Queen Alysanne, Baelor Breakspear....

The Targaryens were not inherently evil.

1. Aerys was crazy and highly paranoid, and clearly saw not only Ned and Jon, but Robert B as a threat

2. GRRM has noted that Robert had "a fairly good" claim on the throne-- that is, after Aerys himself, Rhaegar, Aegon and Rhaenys, and Viserys were eliminated, Robert would have been next in line. GRRM has noted that Aerys perceived this as a threat.

3. Lyanna was Robert's betrothed, and Rhaegar "stole" her. This may have added fuel to Aerys paranoia.

Basically, Aerys was paranoid and, worse, incompetent. He saw a mild threat, and turned it into a major, insurmountable one. (When he called for Robert's and Ned's heads from their loving father figure, Jon Arryn.)

Aerys seemed to have read the same book on "How to Win Friends and Influence People" that Viserys was working off of in his dealings with Khal Drogo in AGOT.

No, that was Pycelle.

To open his gates, yes, that was what Pycelle said. But before that, Varys whispered in Aerys' ears to make him even more paranoid. Varys said things about a possible conspiracy that would work out at the Tourney of Harrenhal. That's the reason why Aerys went to the Tourney, to screw up those plans. I think TheMountain confused those things. (:

Why does a targ do anything? Because it is in their nature, killing inocents is what they do, you might as well ask why does a bear shit in the woods.

Yeah... not all Targs are like that. The books explicitly note that. And didn't Robert want to kill a 14 year old girl?

Anyways, back on topic: As others have said, Aerys most likely believed that Eddard (as Rickard's son and Brandon and Lyanna's brother) and Robert (as Lyanna's betrothed and Eddard's closest friend) would want vengeance.

I do think there were two conspiracies... one by Rickard, Hoster and Jon to create a North/Vale/Riverlands/Stormlands "alliance" and another to dethrone Aerys and place Rhaegar on the throne. Lord Whent's position as one of Hoster's most powerful bannerman and the brother of one of the Kingsguard would allow him to hold a tourney that would bring together the people necessary to combine both plots.

I wonder why Varys would side against Rhaegar's plot as he clearly supports House Targaryen and cares about the stability of the realm and Rhaegar would seem like the perfect solution to the Mad King.

Come now, King Jahaerys, King Viserys I, King Daeron II, King Aegon III, Kings Aegon V, I and Jahaerys II were all good-decent Kings. Not to mention Aemon the Dragonknight, Aemon the Maester, Queen Alysanne, Baelor Breakspear....

The Targaryens were not inherently evil.

There were 17 targ kings, so 6 of those 17 were not horrible. Thats less then half.

Archived