"Rogues" anthology (Martin & Dozois)

Jussi

I'm not too big on the maesters history. First of all, with so many different accounts which is to be believed and secondly a lot of it feels like fact dumping. I like being able to read what's going on inside a characters head. (PoVs)

Working my way through it. Was surprised by how much I liked the Flynn. Skipped the Lansdale as I've not enjoyed it in other anthologies. Was pleased to see David Ball back writing.

Flynn's What do you do? has been my favourite in the anthology so far, and found Tawny Petticoats enjoyable too. Tough Times All Over was entertaining too. I'm currently up to Roaring Twenties. Least favourite so far was definitely Bent Twig by Lansdale. I didn't actually finish it, was not enjoying.it in the slightest

• 1 month later...

I'm reading it when I got some time. My opinion, so far:

Tough Times All Over” by Joe Abercrombie.

Well written and sometimes funny, but lack something, in my opinion. A point, probably. This story could go on and on for pages like that.

What Do You Do?” by Gillian Flynn

Start like a social tale, but is actually some kind of classical ghost story with a good ending twist. Liked it. Im not alone on that, as I can see above.

The Inn of the Seven Blessings” by Matt Hughes

My favorite so far. Funny & a real story with a very good ending. And a good universe, and characters.

"Bent Twig” by Joe R. Lansdale

I never really liked the detective/noir story, and this one did not changed my mind. Really not my dope, I guess. Sorry, Joe.

Tawny Petticoats” by Michael Swanwick

Same, not my dope, I did not enter in this universe. And the plot was too complicated for nothing.

Provenance” by David W. Ball.

I did not see the point of that one at all.

Still 14 to go.

I never read Neverwhere but I want to do it one day, can I read “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back” anyway, or should I wait and read them in publishing order?

If you like other books of Gaiman (or generally an original mix of traditional and urban fantasy) you should read "Neverwhere" anyway. (There is also a TV Show, actually it started this way, but I think the book is better.)

Archived