[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

Another thing I found odd about this is wouldn't Theon's quarters be guarded AT ALL TIMES. I'd doubt that Osha would be able to just waltz out like it was no big deal.

Why would the guards protect someone they despise? :P

Great acting on his part. I think it is a good job to convey Dany's desperation and how she is a lot like Vis was, a beggar. Having said that I do not like what he is a part of: oversimplifying the ruling forces of Qarth.

To be honest, I would have preferred a largely cut version of Dany in this season to allow better scenes for others (not Ros or Littlefinger though).

In concerns to Osha sleeping with Theon: It could be simply to monitor him. Make sure he is fast alseep before Bran & co. head out of Winterfell. A stretch, I know, but I gotta at least try to make sense of what these stupid writers are doing.

Osha's priority was to keep the Stark kids safe. In order for them to escape, they can't be all locked up.

By sleeping with Theon, she guarantees her freedom of movement in the castle and can monitor him. If she did not sleep with him, she would have been locked up, like the others.

This way, she can leave Theon's bedroom at night and free the Stark kids.

Do people dislike the Spice King? He's a bright spot in the Dany storyline this season, IMO. Reconcile that, folks who are convinced that I hate any and all deviations ;)

I find Nicholas Blane (the Spice King) a fine actor.

I am a little puzzled why they had to made up a character when George provided Qarth with a kind of, sort of, government ... the Pureborn ... three named in the novel...Blane could have played one them, they had George's usual funny names, but less unpronounceable than Xaro Xhoan Daxos . Makes not much difference , but it's less work for the teleplay writer.

As far Dany,Vanessa Taylor repeats Dany's spiel which was ok once back in Garden of Bones , but would have thought Benioff & Weiss would have scotched that for The Old Gods and the New, they too busy to review scripts?

Benioff & Weiss repeated Dany's assertiveness in The Ghost of Harrenhal , but I don't mind that , since I thought George was a slow in that department in the novel.

One grouse.

I am tired of seeing Dany without the dragon crown the Tourmaline Brotherhood gave her.

That would take only about 30 seconds to introduce.

Will she ever get that dragon crown in this series?

Osha's priority was to keep the Stark kids safe. In order for them to escape, they can't be all locked up.

By sleeping with Theon, she guarantees her freedom of movement in the castle and can monitor him. If she did not sleep with him, she would have been locked up, like the others.

This way, she can leave Theon's bedroom at night and free the Stark kids.

You nailed it!

And some poster around here said that the show spells out things too explicitly!

That poster should pay more attention , they way you did.

The only thing about that scene for me was the camera work. I like how sandor killed the three guys and then sort of turned his back to sansa sheathed his dagger and then composed him self for a second before turning around. It was a small way to show that he didnt want her to see him in kill mode. But again it just had really bad camera work.

To me it does not look like the cinematographer's fault so much as either the location or shooting set.

(I don't think this and some other scenes were shot on a sound stage.)

Just looking at it, does not seem this was shot in NI, looks like a location in Dubrovnik.

Even the riot scene looked 'squeezed'.

They seem to use existing locations, well old Dubrovnik is a middle ages town, but there sometimes does not seem to a place or enough space to put a camera properly. Surely they could scout better locations?

If it came to that , I am guessing, there are sound stages in Croatia , have to be. Probably not expensive to set up either.

I think Dubrovnik looks better than Malta, but, for what ever the reason, cinematography there has had it's awkward moments.

I haven't read whole thread, but I have just some little thing that come to my mind....

Where the hell was Bronn during the riot? Isn't he the Commander of the City Watch?

Jon and Ygritte speaking about lighting a fire.... How you want to light a fire there, if you wanted to? There is no wood anywhere!!! Do rocks burn?

Sir Armory Lorch, when you run after a little girl among the ruins, look around the corners...!!!

I am getting tired of Dany's tantrums ending with 'Fire and blood!'......(and I guess am not the only one)

And they better introduce the damn Tyrion's chain next episode.....it's getting late and Stannis is coming....

Where the hell was Bronn during the riot? Isn't he the Commander of the City Watch?

Hasn't that happened more than once?

Back when Bronn was a free ranging sell sword , I could understand it.

Now I can see Bronn not taking his duties with the City Watch seriously , but would think Tyrion could not stand that for long and put someone else in charge, which , come to think of it, Bronn would probably like that.

As far as I remember Bronn was never head of the City Watch, but like commander of "Tyrion's guards", who became a disposable teleplay idem.

Bronn is almost as mysterious a character as Jaqen.

As far as I know from the books we have never found out his background and with two novels to go it looks as if we never will.

In the show he is evasive about his past ... which made me think he part of one of the many consorned conspiracies going one.

Love Jerome Flynn , another one of the craggy actors D&D found.

Never seen an interview with him.

Bronn is awesome! He is one of the characters who I would love expanded upon more. He is one of my favorite characters in the novels, and I think he will play some sort of role in the last 2 novels..I certainly hope so at least!

If they added some stuff with Bronn...I wouldn't complain!

Good point about him not being at the riot though..that really makes no sense! Maybe he was researching the chain for Tyrion..which BETTER be mentioned soon!

I read somewhere that GRRM said that Bronn still has a part to play in next books,which would be great.

We can explain his absence in the riot however we want, I also like to think he was busy somewhere on Tyrion's orders, either supervising the wildfire production or something with that chain...

Most likely, however, the actor just wasn't present or available when the were shooting that scene.... It's a shame though, these shortcomings are probably difficult to avoid when filming something on this scale...

No nitpicks about 'that's not like the books!', I've done that in the respective threads, and I'm trying to accept changes and enjoy the series as it is presented.

But:

- Dagmer about Rodrick: 'he has to pay the Iron price'. 'Paying the Iron price' as established earlier in the series, means not buying stuff with gold, but looting with raids and conquest. So how does that apply to Rodrick?

- Very nice of Lord Tywin to give Arya the opportunity to turn her back to LF when pouring his wine, by holding his cup all the way next to him, instead of just leaving it standing on the table as would be the normal thing to do. Apart from that, I must say the whole Tywin/Arya 'relationship' is starting to get very unbelievable to me too. I was willing to disregard the unlikelyness of Tywin just accepting his lying-cupbearer-with-an-attitude, thinking it possible that he just likes smart, feisty kids. But come on, he already knows she is a northern girl, for some reason trying to hide her identity. Now he realises that she can read. I cannot believe he doesn't realise the potential danger of letting that girl clear the table that holds a lot of papers with sensitive war info. He can even see she is interested in them. He may assume she has no way of getting that info out of Harrenhall, but that's a pretty big assumption to make, isn't it? And Arya, on the other hand, is getting very sloppy as well. Again, I can see going for the book so soon and giving away she can read as an honest mistake, but taking the letter instead of reading it on the spot, then reading it in plain sight of some guards, and then running around with it in her hand? Please, she's smarter than that.

- Those wildling scouts aren't very dedicated to their task, are they? Seems like being on the lookout is pretty low on their priority list.

- Jon Snow really knows nothing...

- The riot scene, so many problems with that: Ok no horses, I get that (don't agree with the choice, but I get the reason). But a little more obvious security measures would have been a good idea. Like for instance a cordon of guards keeping the crowd away from the procession, instead of two guards standing between the royal family and the crowd, and a few more walking along? Then Tyrion tells a guard to 'take the prince back to the keep, now', at which the guard, the prince and his nan turn around and walk the other way. Where are they going? Is that the shortest route to the keep? Then why aren't the others taking that as well? Did they feel like taking a leasurely stroll downtown? The mob taking down the septon looked pretty fake and organised as well, not at all mob-like.

- So all the soldiers of Harrenhall see one of their commanders chasing a girl, and none try to stop her? Also, Lorch not taking that extra step to look behind the corner...

- If I was a King and I was curious about a certain mysterious stranger who I find writing letters in my army camp, I would demand that she shows them to me. Even if he doesn't believe she's a spy (again that naivity and carelessness in someone who is supposed to be a smart strategist), it might provide some clues as to who she really is...

If Jon couldn't even chat with his friends, how is it supposed to be believable that Tywin would reminisce to his cupbearer? I don't care about most deviations from the book, but this one really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Archived