[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

Would the series have really suffered if they minimized Dany this season and used that time for other characters

From this season Dany should have been limited to the following scenes

1. In red waste

2. In abandoned city meeting Qarth reps

3. In XXDs house

4. Meeting with the 13

5. Going to HotU

6. Meeting Belwas Barristan

Some transitional scenes of short duration and that is all you need for Dany this season

but she is of course a MAIN CHARACTER and if they dont have some false suspense people will forget her

Except today's viewers are more sophisticated than that, we can actually remember from a season ago.

Instead we get this forced bs storyline that damages her character, takes away from other critical stories and adds nothing to the show

BOOOOOOOOO

Talisa sucks. I don't even care if she's a spy. The premise of her story (spunky girl wearing rags mouths off to the noble king; noble king falls in love) is precisely the contrived "budding romance" that GRRM wanted to avert at all costs to begin with.

I don't like you, "Lady" Talisa. I don't like your face. I don't like the words that come oozing out of your mouth. I don't want you in my tent one minute more than necessary.

I couldnt' have said this better. Their relationship and her character are exactly what Martin was trying to avoid.

She's sassy. I hate sassy.

My other nitpick is Dany this season. Everytime I hear her say that she will take what is hers with fire and blood, I just want to slap her. I've enjoyed watching The Spicer talk to her. Probably the only part of her storyline I've enjoyed this season.

He's been carrying two since he was introduced - not sure if it is just to increase the badass factor or not, I don't think he even used it when he faced off against his brother at the joust, but that I might just not remember clearly enough.

He used a greatsword on his back against Gregor in the book, IIRC.

If Irri is actually dead I will be devestated! Why kill her..please explain that to me..why? IT IS KNOWN..she is alive and I still believe she will survive until the end of the book series. Killing her is just lame and trying to add this drama to Dany's storyline is really unnecessary.

Somehow I dislike Talisa even more than ever after this episode, which I didn't think was possible after her introduction. Robb's obvious swooning over her in front of ALL of his bannerman and soldiers is just utterly ridiculous. Also, did he really not ask Cat who the GIANT woman behind her with a sword was..or about what happened with Renly?!?!?!?!?!? He was just like..oh hey mom good to see you..I am just chilling here..no problems..oh here is this awesome girl Talisa! I tend to doubt GRRM enjoyed this exchange.

I won't even get into Jon's storyline in this episode because it just riles me up thinking about it. I am holding onto hope that what happens in the novels will still happen..but was this change really necessary? I feel like Vanessa Taylor loves to have these strong women characters have prevalent parts in her episodes and be all sassy and over the top. We will get to know Ygritte eventually..give it some time..no need to have this stuff happen right now.

Thank the old gods and the new that the Bastard was finally mentioned..it is about time!!! Though I am worried that the Reek aspect won't play into things, which is disappointing to say the least.

On a different note, Sandor is a boss and his scenes were epic. Also, SHAGGYDOG finally showed up!

As much as I actually like seeing Tywin in Harrenhal, him being so BFFs with Arya is annoying me more than a keyboard smashing of random keys can ever describe!

Also Littlefinger is seriously gettin around, while apparently his brain is usually 20ft behind. One scene he's super-amazing, then the writers go "oh darn, our audience must have ADD and already forgot how much of a heartless scheming dick this guy is... info-dump thats completely outta chara time!!"

My nitpick, is how close to the door to the castle was during the riot.

When it starts to go bad, they are about 5 feet from the castle door. they couldve just used a little hustle.

and um, why is this formal procession returning to the castle by such a small side door?

If they dont have Jon going over to the Wildings at Qhorin's orders, that will be a huge change. His motivations will be far less noble than doing so under orders. And I dont think it wouild have taken much effort scriptwise, let Ygritte go, next scene they are surrounded by wildings and Qhorin sees the end and gives Jon his orders. just so they could put some dry humping in there

Well, unfortunately this is the price you pay with HBO - bless 'em. They think we ladies want to see bits of romance in a big gritty drama. Shout-out to HBO - we don't!!!! We really don't need lots of romance. We really don't want to be pandered to because it's pretty Kit or pretty Richard and we want to see them paired up and 'shipped'. I'm a blood a guts gal, meself; a grown-up. I can't wait for Blackwater.

Seriously though - I do think there's an element of 'we must cater for the ladies' in this, guys and gals. And it's patronising as hell to me, personally - don't know about the other females here.

As much as I actually like seeing Tywin in Harrenhal, him being so BFFs with Arya is annoying me more than a keyboard smashing of random keys can ever describe!

I kind of like Arya and Tywin's synergy. Tywin's losing the war, and he clearly feels he's surrounded by idiots. Making formal small-talk with an intelligent cupbearer might be a nice respite from losing battles all day.

It's not just you, I really don't rate Alfie Allen. I want to like his portrayal of Theon but it's so wooden. He doesn't convey enough emotion for me and all his lines sound like he's reading the script for the first time.

Thank you, thank you! When I read so many people saying he's Emmy material, I just die inside. He'd be way under the radar of a BAFTA too, I'll tell ya! I try to be generous, thinking that I have always read Theon in the books as the character he's playing - boastful but unsure etc. etc. But there really is no excuse for his delivery. It's AWFUL. I wonder if they shouldn't have left him with his own original accent (Balon and Yara/Asha have moderate South England accents, and Alfie's a natural Londoner). I know he's been up north for 9 years, but I could have forgiven that if it meant he didn;t have to struggle with the accent on top of everything else - I do think that might be adding to his delivery problems.

Thank you, thank you! When I read so many people saying he's Emmy material, I just die inside. He'd be way under the radar of a BAFTA too, I'll tell ya! I try to be generous, thinking that I have always read Theon in the books as the character he's playing - boastful but unsure etc. etc. But there really is no excuse for his delivery. It's AWFUL. I wonder if they shouldn't have left him with his own original accent (Balon and Yara/Asha have moderate South England accents, and Alfie's a natural Londoner). I know he's been up north for 9 years, but I could have forgiven that if it meant he didn;t have to struggle with the accent on top of everything else - I do think that might be adding to his delivery problems.

Can you be more specific about his "delivery problems" because if it's what I think you are referring to, I see it as a perfect display of facial expression (esp with his eyes) conveying how conflicted Theon is with about everything he does (or has to do).

I'm glad someone else has a prob with Spicey. Yep, they've made our Dany into a raving loon experiencing permanent PMT, but I think Spicer's constant 'I am a self-made man, aren't I cool?, I don't have illustrious ancestors, kid' also just as petulant. He's done it twice now. They needed Cat Stark in the scene to bang their heads together.

Can you be more specific about his "delivery problems" because if it's what I think you are referring to, I see it as a perfect display of facial expression (esp with his eyes) conveying how conflicted Theon is with about everything he does (or has to do).

No, Shadow - 'delivery' is his speaking of the lines. I do think he does OK with his facial expressions, to be fair - but it is how he delivers his lines that's a huge problem for me. The woodenness (?sp) is in his voice. And as I said - it may be because the actor is having to grapple with a northern accent too.

No, Shadow - 'delivery' is his speaking of the lines. I do think he does OK with his facial expressions, to be fair - but it is how he delivers his lines that's a huge problem for me. The woodenness (?sp) is in his voice. And as I said - it may be because the actor is having to grapple with a northern accent too.

Agree to disagree. I think he's done great (despite hating the character in season 1). If anyone deserves to be criticized for their delivery I think it would be the guy playing Littlefinger. At times his accent switches to Irish and he seems unable to talk (despite volume) in a way other than whispering.

Slight nitpicks:

-Iron Islanders use drowning for execution right? Maybe that was an intentional mistake though given how Theon has spent so long with the Starks.

-Ygritte's name pronunciation. I always had it down as "Yuh-greet". "Ee-gritt" in the show. Oh well.

I kind of like Arya and Tywin's synergy. Tywin's losing the war, and he clearly feels he's surrounded by idiots. Making formal small-talk with an intelligent cupbearer might be a nice respite from losing battles all day.

I enjoy their scenes together. They actually have chemistry and I'm so impressed that Maisie Williams can keep up with Charles Dance.

Slight nitpicks:

-Iron Islanders use drowning for execution right? Maybe that was an intentional mistake though given how Theon has spent so long with the Starks.

-Ygritte's name pronunciation. I always had it down as "Yuh-greet". "Ee-gritt" in the show. Oh well.

I think they ask Martin about names pronunciation. I always said it Ee-grit myself but that's because of my native language I guess. As for the execution with a sword ,that was in the book too so I guess , yes , it's because of the time he spent as their ward.

Slight nitpicks:

I kept thinking of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egret

I always thought it was "I-grit"

And yeah Drogon's personal trainer, Allen's accent sounds like he's trying to be a northerner (as in from up north in England)

I think they ask Martin about names pronunciation. I always said it Ee-grit myself but that's because of my native language I guess. As for the execution with a sword ,that was in the book too so I guess , yes , it's because of the time he spent as their ward.

I thought Rodrik was killed by Bolton men? He was described as have his arm cut off but the true manner of his death was left off-page. Theon didn't kill him either way.

/supernitpicky

I also didn't like Myrcella crying, even though it's a minor nitpick. She's a tough lioness like her mother, she's not going to weep on a boat like that. I liked how Joffrey yelled at Tommen for crying though....kind of helped the audience remember that Joffrey has a little brother and how different they are.

I don't have an issue with actress Ygritte, but she is way too modern looking with her pearly white teeth, like someone else said. She should look a lot more like....a wildling. It was made clear in the books that she wasn't very pretty and looked of low-birth, but she became more and more attractive to Jon over time. The story between them is stupid, especially the spooning. I really hope that Jon doesn't break his vows solely because she seduces him. Halfhand better give him that command, and quickly.

Archived