[Book/TV Spoilers] The Turncloak...

He's gone from an interesting but minor character in season 1 to a staggeringly complex villain in season 2. After last night I'll echo the sentiments I had following Episode 3, that his portrayal and the handling of this character are thus far marked improvements over the book.

I could see him getting some serious run at a best supporting actor nomination.

He's gone from an interesting but minor character in season 1 to a staggeringly complex villain in season 2. After last night I'll echo the sentiments I had following Episode 3, that his portrayal and the handling of this character are thus far marked improvements over the book.

I could see him getting some serious run at a best supporting actor nomination.

I think his portrayal of Theon has humanized the character more then GRRM's writing did. Not until the most recent books did I feel any pity for Theon, that scene with Balon at the Pyke made me understand him a little better.

But after this week, I hope the change the script and have Robb skip the wedding and head straight for Winterfell to flay Theon himself ;)

Alfie hasn't been impressing me as much as you lot. But I have to say, he stepped it up a notch this episode, especially in terms of facial expressions. That scene where he executes Ser Rodrik was crazy-intense.

Even though I know what he's been through (and what he will be through) I couldn't help but hate Theon last night. I was surprised how emotional that scene made me feel but wow... Alfie Allen is doing amazing. Just the small expressions on his face make me kind of feel bad for him, but what he's doing makes me hate him... God, I've never been this conflicted about a character before.

Can't wait for him to be flayed so I can truly feel bad for him again...

Even though I know what he's been through (and what he will be through) I couldn't help but hate Theon last night. I was surprised how emotional that scene made me feel but wow... Alfie Allen is doing amazing. Just the small expressions on his face make me kind of feel bad for him, but what he's doing makes me hate him... God, I've never been this conflicted about a character before.

Can't wait for him to be flayed so I can truly feel bad for him again...

I know, I can't wait to see how Alfie portrays one of the best character arcs in the entire series.

Theon is much more interesting in the show than the books. Alfie is doing a great job transitioning Theon from one of the right hands of a propsective king to blind ambition without the will or means to make it happen to ultimately broken man. Love it.

As I say in the other thread, screen Theon is replacing book Theon in my head.

Allen is absolutely brilliant. He flicks from cocksure arrogance to petulant child beautifully.

It is worth saying though that I think the collective acting in that scene was very very good. They all helped create a great scene.

Yeah, big contrast to Eddard's quick and clean cutting in the very first episode.

I've grown to like Alfie's portrayal so much that I'll defend him by noting that Eddard got a giant greatsword. Poor Theon tried to do it with an arming sword, and Rodrick had no neck to speak of. Somebody get that guy an ax.

He was amazing, the actor who had the best growth since season 1, I believe.

When he returns to Pyke he made me sympathize with Theon; now he made me hate him with as much intensity as when I read ACoK; and I'm sure he'll made me pity him just as much when he becomes Reek.

Archived