[Book/TV Spoilers] The Turncloak...

I agree that Allen was excellent this episode. I love the way he shows both anger and uncertainty in every decision. He's incredibly brash, and everyone's lack of respect for him only continues to gnaw at his pride. I think he understood the incredible miscalculation he had made when he struggled to do carry out the sentence that he witnessed Ned Stark do so many times. The weight of killing a respected elder simply out of desperation for respect truly sank in when Maester Luwin made his comments afterward.

I have to admit I wasnt an Alfie fan last season, just Meh

Even this season was so so for me, but in retrospect it was the wrting.

Last night though was oustanding, probably the highlight of this season so far. The writing, the acting the directing all hit on all cylinders. They even changed the story to good effect (Perhaps a sentance or two on capturing Ser Rodrik to explain why he was back) but all the actors did a great job, rodrik's face was very cool you could see the outraged pride, the hatred, the utter disgust he had for theon, the realization that life was at an end and he had nothing left to live for (in the book it was the threat against his daughter), but it translated well to how they played it out last night

but allie pulled it off, the inner conflict the realization that he has stepped way beyond his experience, the underlying need to prove himself to his fellow ironmen, a truly lost soul.

great performances all around in that scene

Alfie Allen was great in this episode, his look after the execution was brilliant.

In addition I'd also like to add that showDagmer is a real fucker, in contrast to the bookDagmer who is my favorite Ironborn in the books.

Before the execution it was like Maester Luwin was an angel on one of Theon's shoulders while Dagmer was the devil on the other.

Yeah Alfie Allen has been great this season. I specially liked him in ep.3 when he shouts at Balon ("You gave me away!"), love that scene, it really showed Theon's inner conflict.

He was really great in this episode too. Trying so hard to gain respect and failing miserably (like always). He's expressions when he's talking to Roderick and after executing him were perfect.

Actually that whole scene was amazing. Not just Theon was great but also Roderick and Bran. I think Isaac Hempstead Wright did a really good job at completely freaking out. Sometimes when people go hysterical it can be over the top, but he did it perfectly.

Yeah Alfie Allen has been great this season. I specially liked him in ep.3 when he shouts at Balon ("You gave me away!"), love that scene, it really showed Theon's inner conflict.

He was really great in this episode too. Trying so hard to gain respect and failing miserably (like always). He's expressions when he's talking to Roderick and after executing him were perfect.

Actually that whole scene was amazing. Not just Theon was great but also Roderick and Bran. I think Isaac Hempstead Wright did a really good job at completely freaking out. Sometimes when people go hysterical it can be over the top, but he did it perfectly.

"Hush now, child. I'm off to see your father"

Rodrik, instant BAMF.

I was particularly amazed at the way Theon shouted "He disrespected me in front of my men, that was his decision not mine." .This line and all the rest conveyed perfectly Theon as he appeared to me during these events . " You should respect me , why don't you respect me ,why don't you accept me as your Lord when I intend to be fair to you if you do, I don't want to hurt you, you're the ones forcing me to,I didn't want to kill Mikken, I had too, I didn't want these children killed,it's Bran and Rickon who made me , I had to do something...", the way he's constantly running away from his guilt , justifying himself to himself, and sincerely at a loss to understand why things are not going as he planned.I didn't like his acting (or his lines rather) so much in the first season but I really recognize this Theon now.

Agreed! Bran's pleading was just sublime.

I'm just not buying what Alfie Allen is poorly selling. I cannot for the life of me understand what I seem to be missing that everyone is seeing but such is life. I die a little more each week with his portrayal and cringe at the thought of his Reek. I guess it's great people are enjoying him. I simply am not. He is probably my biggest casting gripe, with Loras and the Hound pulling up the rear.

To each their, I suppose.

Brilliant, though I honestly don't understand the hate for Theon (book or show). He's a great character, the show just made me like him even more with his scenes with Balon and his clear need for approval at every decision.

Alfie Allen's acting has really, in my opinion, transformed Theon Greyjoy's tragedy into a new dimension the book couldn't do. There are many reasons I love all the detail and subtle shifting in the books that can't be translated well onto film, but for some areas, only a really good actor can bring a character to life (as Peter has done with Tyrion) in new ways we can identify with and love the character even more.

For the character of Theon, it seems to me it could have gone very badly if the wrong type of actor had been cast. They hit the nail right on the head with this guy, he's perfect for it and has just blossomed more and more as the season progresses. I honestly truly love Theon in the show far more than I ever did in the books even as much as I know is coming and how much I despised him in the books. It's amazingly good!!

I also feel similarly about the actor playing Joffrey, though he hasn't had as many stunning scenes as Alfie Allen.

I think Alfie is making this season in my opinion. He is doing a fantastic job.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I appreciated just central his character was going to be in making this season, but if he had been off or even the more like George wrote him, I don't think the season would have been nearly as good. Alfie is really taking advantage of his opportunity.

Also it will be interesting when the emmy noms come out. The show apparently submitted Tyrion and Theon for supporting actor. IMO Theon deserves it more than Tyrion so far.

Although there is obvious symbolism behind Theon's multiple attempts at hacking off Ser Rodrik's head, let's not forget that it's harder to slice through someone's neck with a random blade than with a greatsword made of Valyrian steel... ;)

He's also half the size or smaller than Eddard.

Let's definitely not start defending the character though, he was the idiot that thought he could do it with some small, random sword after watching Ned do it who-knows-how-many times. It's not necessarily a sign that he's weak physically, it's a respresentation of his character: small and stupid/a child.

Peter Dinklage got an Emmy for season 1, I think its fair to say Alfie's acting has really shined through this season more than anyone else even though Peter continues to be rock solid.

Yeah, don't get the hate for Theon either.

He took Winterfell by deception but Robb Stark captured Jamie Lannister by doing the same.

He killed Ser Rodrick but only because it was a part of the Iron Born creed. Not too dissimilar from what Ned done to the deserter in episode 1.

He may have killed a well-liked character but he is only one man in a kindgdom-wide war. How many has Robb killed/sent to their deaths?

Poor Theon.

Yeah, don't get the hate for Theon either. He took Winterfell by deception but Robb Stark captured Jamie Lannister by doing the same. He killed Ser Rodrick but only because it was a part of the Iron Born creed. Not too dissimilar from what Ned done to the deserter in episode 1. He may have killed a well-liked character but he is only one man in a kindgdom-wide war. How many has Robb killed/sent to their deaths? Poor Theon.

He didn't kill ser Rodrick in the book you know. He killed Mikken I think but I don't remember well.. Anyway I think the main reason people hated him is pretty obviously his betrayal (which is not the same as deception). But are they really that many people who still hate him after Dance ? I was under the impression it had changed a lot of minds.

Archived