[Book/TV Spoilers] Did this happen in the book.

not from the books. we'll see how it plays out. i wouldn't mind the changes so much if i was watching on my own, but it makes it really hard to clarify questions my friends have when they keep changing things, and i don't want to, for instance, imply that this sequence is not from the book, and therefore, just a diversion from the overall story.

I think they added this embellishment to spice up Dany's story a bit, which we all agree got a little stale in CoK and doesn't really translate as well onto film. Sure, she could have just been invited to the House of the Undying without any drama involved, but that means most all of her scenes for this season fall short of any sort of excitement which keeps viewers guessing and curious for the next chapter.

Makes for an interesting change, and much more interesting TV.

Agreed. I skipped most the Dany chapters in ACoK on the rereads because they were so boring...nothing happens until she goes to the House of the Undying. This keeps her on screen and adds some more drama (and a reason to go to THOTU)

I think it will add a good bit of drama to dany's story and it makes everyone wonder what exactly is going to happen.

I mean she obviously is going to get her dragons back, but it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

No, it was either an excuse for her to go to the House of Undying and make a storyline/character that wasn't interesting in acok more interesting for the TV viewers. She is going to get the dragons back though...

This does make interesting TV. I read ACOK and do agree that Dany's chapters were on the dull side until the house of the Undying. This makes her s/l this season more interesting and gives book fans something we didn't see coming. I like that though personally.

I was surprised that there were not more/better theft attempts in the book. Dany seemed fairly weak and vulnerable at times and her dragons are awfully valuable.

yes, i was thinking the same: without the dragons (before acquiring the Unsullied) Dany is nothing more just a little girl.

Plus it seems way more likely than nobody trying to steal the Dragons whilst they were harmless and tiny and Dany was basically an equally harmless beggar in somebody else's city. If anything that's a plot hole in the books

Absolutely - but it was a consistent plot hole in the books. We didn't have one person - or group - all of a sudden come up with the idea. I have no problem with the change overall, just from the standpoint that no one did it before, say Jhogo's khalasar after they took off Rakharo's head?

I was totally in shock after seeing this episode: after the scene with Arya (where is that incredibly smart girl I loved?), a totally new storyline.

Just before watching I had a talk with my husband about TV/movie adaptations and about how it is sometimes necessary to cut pieces of the story to make it feasible. After defending D&D for cutting some parts of the story, how could they have invented a totally new storyline, in fact replacing the ones they cut and making my arguments of 'there's just no time for it' sound silly?

I've calmed down a bit now, and I understand that choice a little more. Dany has become one of the most loved characters during the first season. Her storyline in CoK however, isn't that eventful. So the choices they had were: show less of her, show boring scenes, or invent something exciting for her. Showing less of her would mean a lot of people would think the show showed too little of her, showing boring scenes just isn't a very good option for a show depending on ratings, so they went with the third option. I think I personally would have preferred the first one and a little more time for Arya or Bran, but I understand the choice.

I guess it all comes down to this: if we bookreaders want to enjoy this series fully, I think we will have to 'break it loose' from the books. Accept that things may be different, and judge the series on its own merits: the acting, the photography, the storylines of the series: do they work? Yes they do.

So I've decided that, as long as the characters move in the same general direction as they do in the books, I'm not going to fret about a few shortcuts or deviations. Let's say it makes the series more exciting knowing you don't know everything already.

Archived