[Show spoilers] Episode title question

I've been quietly reading the discussion about this episode, but I haven't seen anybody mentioning anything about the title of the episode being "The Old Gods and the New". I thought there was going to be some explanation on religions around Westeros for non-book readers, but instead there wasn't much going on in this matter - or have I missed something? What was the reason for choosing this episode title anyways?

Thanks for any imput you guys might have.

Episode titles seem just there for easy distinction between the episode. The rule seems to be to just take a quote from somewhere in the books, it really doesn't have to be related to the story in the episode at all. See for example also last seasons "Lord Snow" episode with barely anything happening at the Wall or the Nightlands this season with the only reference to those lands being in Dothraki...

It's a shame I think and actually the thing that's bothering me the most with the tv series. They also waste good titles like "The North Remembers" or "Valar Morghulis" (probably...)

But they sound cool and get some quotes from the book out, so it's really not a big deal...

Episode titles seem just there for easy distinction between the episode. The rule seems to be to just take a quote from somewhere in the books, it really doesn't have to be related to the story in the episode at all. See for example also last seasons "Lord Snow" episode with barely anything happening at the Wall or the Nightlands this season with the only reference to those lands being in Dothraki...

It's a shame I think and actually the thing that's bothering me the most with the tv series. They also waste good titles like "The North Remembers" or "Valar Morghulis" (probably...)

But they sound cool and get some quotes from the book out, so it's really not a big deal...

So far it's been from a snippet of dialog within the episode , this season, I can't remember when , may have been, it's said this episode. Else-wise it's kind of out of the blue.

Frankly, my personal opinion, does not seem to me they have put much thought into some of the episode titles this season, E6 being one of the weakest.

It's a nit tho.

Maybe its some kind of metaphor to describe Theon's situation, Follow the path of the Ironborn (Drowned God) or go back to the old ways(The Starks, the old gods). Not sure if it makes much sense.

i think something along these lines might be correct. i take it as a metaphor for theon taking over winterfell, theon the new god, starks the old.

• 6 months later...

Actually, I think that since this was the episode that took portions of the story in a wildly divergent direction (Dany, Jon), the Old Gods represent GRRM and the New represent D&D. It's the producers way of saying, "Hey, guys, wanted to let you all know this show isn't George's alone... it's ours, too. The Old Gods AND the New."

Archived