[BOOK SPOILERS] "My Dreams Come True"

This little phrase delivered by Daenerys to the Spice King piqued my curiosity enough to make a thread for its discussion, and i hope some of you are interested enough to join. I have a few questions regarding it, foremost of which is whether it coincides with book canon. If memory serves, it does not. Regardless, I want to hear (read) your thoughts on the matter.

Assuming this is a change from the books, what butterfly effect can we expect from it? Are we going to see Dany dream in the future? Will this have some effect on her visit to the HotU? Does she not drink some dream-inducing concoction before she stepped foot inside? Maybe this line in episode 6 was created to lay some groundwork for a dip into uncharted territory for the series - dreams and prophecy.

... Then again, perhaps I am making a huge deal out of a comment that was only meant to be part of a passionate plea for trust and support.

I don't think she meant it literally as in what she dreams when sleeping. In the books or the show, she's never mentioned or shown as having seer dreams (like Bran for example)

But she does have some almost-mystical or genious inspirations, like how to make the dragon eggs hatch. In the show it's shown as those trance-like moments, like when she looks at the eggs and puts one on live coals, or when Viserys gets his crown.

I think we can understand "my dreams" as in "my visions". And yes, it's probably groundwork for her visions in the HotU.

It's been noted before that the show writers often need to bring close together, in two or three episodes, themes or clues that are scattered through several books. A lot of the "non-book" scenes are actually invented for that purpose, like probably that otherwise pointless discussion between the Spice King and Daenerys.

I also wondered if they had added this emphasis on "dreams coming true" to lay some groundwork for the prophecies and visions Dany will have in the House of the Undying. Now that they've changed it up to have the dragons kidnapped and taken there, we can be pretty sure there's going to be a big dramatic conclusion there and her passionate speech about dreams coming true (especially emphasis on fire and blood again) is surely a setup.

I think most of the prophecies and visions in the HOTUD are going to be cut. They may mention the AA prophecy but most of it wouldn't work in a TV series. For example Rhaegar dying and saying a womens name, we can't hear the words Lyanna as GRRM went out of his way to make sure we didn't read the name Lyanna. The RW forshadowing as well I think will be too blatent, its one thing reading a list of prophecies but seeing a table of dead men at a feast with a wolf headed king would forshadow too much I think. Also the back story with the Red door Dany hasn't mentioned (as we can't get in her head) so that would be out of place. The mummurs dragon bit is a bit too insignificant at this point, it'll only be relevant in series 5/6 and I've never seen any TV series forshadow that far ahead. Same goes for the Victarion forshadowing.

They need to mention TPTWP and three heads has the dragon, they might show Westeros being raped but aside from that I can't really remember anything they would have to show.

This little phrase delivered by Daenerys to the Spice King piqued my curiosity enough to make a thread for its discussion, and i hope some of you are interested enough to join. I have a few questions regarding it, foremost of which is whether it coincides with book canon. If memory serves, it does not. Regardless, I want to hear (read) your thoughts on the matter.

In the ASOIAF books, it's not written.

However, in GRRM's Dunk and Egg series, which is set in Westeros. but about 80 years prior to GoT, it's explained that some Targaryens do in fact have prophetic dreams. We even meet one of them. Actually, we meet quite a few other Targaryens in the Dunk and Egg books.

the problem i have, is that she says she dreamed about taking the eggs into a great fire, but i don't recall this dream ever being talked about and seems to come out of nowhere for the sake of this discussion.

I think it was intended as more of a threat than Dany declaring herself a prophet. To say, "My dreams come TRUE!" is almost like saying, "I get what I want." And, if what she wants is to conquer Westeros and make Qarth pay for turning her away, it's as if she's saying the Spice King will pay for patronizing her. But, it is a statement with double-meaning. I don't believe Dany thinks herself a prophet, but leading everyone else to believe she is based on her experience with the dragons doesn't hurt her.

Archived