[Book Spoilers] The Little Bird and the Hound

They finally gave him something AWESOME to do!

I must admit to shedding a little man tear when he called Sansa "little bird".

I thought that whole scene near the docks was pretty chilling, what with the High Septon being literally torn to pieces and the Westeros Secret Service bloodying up their whites.

In particular though, I was genuinely caught up in the moment of Sansa's near rape. I kinda forgot everything from the book. I was thinking "Oh hell, who's going to save her? Dontos? The Hound? Where the fuck's the Hound!?"

Great, horrifying scene. Joffrey being bitch-slapped was just the icing on the cake.

I hope we see more of the kinda-nice-guy Hound from the books. I'm expecting him to talk to Sansa once more before his drunken advance amidst the Battle of the Blackwater.

It has seemed to me that the show writers are emphasizing the future Tyrion/Sansa match. From the first episode where he makes a point to offer Sansa condolences, to his "rescue" of her from Joffrey's abuse, to his frantic concern for her well-being during the riot. Sure, perhaps he's just worried about keeping their sole Stark captive safe and unspoiled, but Dinklage is playing it suave, in my opinion. For a minute I thought the show writers were going to change and have Tyrion rescue Sansa from the mob. What a riot there would have been amongst San/San devotees!

In the books I got the impression that Martin wanted us to think Tyrion really was coming around to Sansa, but then in ADWD, he was a sloppy drunk only concerned with "where whores go." To me, it was disappointing and tiresome.

Edit: I meant to say at first that I did think the Hound's rescue was thrilling, and that he seemed very cool with the "little bird" and "I didn't do it for you" business.

In the books I got the impression that Martin wanted us to think Tyrion really was coming around to Sansa, but then in ADWD, he was a sloppy drunk only concerned with "where whores go." To me, it was disappointing and tiresome.

Oh, he surely was, but she is no longer there and maybe like for the hound, Sansa had a redempting effect on Tyrion.

I would've liked it more if I could appreciate the actor, but his voice just falls flat for me. Not menacing or tormented enough. Also, because they hadn't done the proper explanation of why he calls her 'little bird,' it felt meaningless when used in this episode.

I would've liked it more if I could appreciate the actor, but his voice just falls flat for me. Not menacing or tormented enough. Also, because they hadn't done the proper explanation of why he calls her 'little bird,' it felt meaningless when used in this episode.

I like his voice. Sounds polite, even chivalrous. Which is of course massively ironic given how his brother is a brute of a knight and he himself is not a "sir".

I think we're going to see more San/San scenes next week and in future episodes. Perhaps sooner or later we'll hear Sansa ask "why do you call me "little bird?" If not, perhaps they've lessened the metaphor; Sandor tells her handmaidens to take her "back to her cage" so maybe that will be the reason why he calls her that.

I always hope to see more of The Hound. :wub:

I loved how he savagely kills the men, and then in his own Houndy way, turns to Sansa and comforts her. I knew it was coming, but I still shouted out loud when he showed up.

By the end of the season there will probably have been quite a bit of san-san as there will be a scene next episode and the song scene in blackwater. I think the writers have made a pretty concious effort to put scenes in blocks so that they flow better. Its why I think we had littlefinger giving that speech at the tourny, or only hearing Stannis described as a lobster in season 1, and why we will probably get Ramsey after just a mention of the dreadfort (and maybe the reeds) next season. It just makes for a tighter story.

ummm wont the writers have a problem with Sansa next season since they havent established the link to Ser Dontos yet

I'm not sure the writers HAVE to establish the link until they announce Joff and Margary's wedding. Then they can have Ser Dontos give Sansa the time and place for the get away. She could be praying in the Godswood and Ser Dontos pops up, even if its only once. It would only take a scene or maybe two to give them a connection.

I really loved this scene and am so glad they have added it in light of so many others dropped from the story. The San/San theme is very poignant in a "love that can never be" kind of way. It's also the growing up point for Sansa, who learns that not all knights are beautiful and honorable as she's fantasized about growing up. She's already gotten a good taste of exactly now nasty kings can be from Joffrey so now she is learning that even the ugly deformed and surly hound has a chivalrous side. The symbolism is so perfect for the series as well as the books. Nothing is as it seems and no one is all good or all bad.

That near rape scene... ugh had me pulling my hair out in distress. I knew the hound was going to save her but man it was close. Very well done in my opinion. It's not often that i find myself cheering with joy when defenseless people are literally ripped open and slashed to pieces but I was dancing with joy. I'm pretty sure I scared by dog with my outburst...

I really like the hound in the series so far, including his limited appearances in the first season and hope for more in the episodes to come!

This scene was great and showed the Hound's brute strength for the first time. Although he just killed a few peasants, i thought it was pretty impressive and showed that the hound isn't one to mess with.

I really like the hound in the series so far, including his limited appearances in the first season and hope for more in the episodes to come!

This scene was great and showed the Hound's brute strength for the first time. Although he just killed a few peasants, i thought it was pretty impressive and showed that the hound isn't one to mess with.

Hah, yes, his killing felt almost mechanised. Pulling the blades with such precision and finesse and despatching the attackers with minimal fuss.

From the pre-season trailers, I think we're going to see something of a barbaric Hound in the Battle of Blackwater. Less finesse, more brute force and violence. I can't wait.

From the pre-season trailers, I think we're going to see something of a barbaric Hound in the Battle of Blackwater. Less finesse, more brute force and violence. I can't wait.

Should be fun to watch!

Yeah, I was stoked about the "little bird" reference, but felt like it fell flat 1. because he said it so quietly, and 2. because it was thrown in with no backstory. ah well ^__^

Also, what happened to the halfwit girl who was gangbanged (for wont of a better term).

Archived