[Book Spoilers] The Little Bird and the Hound

Give it time on D&D's interpretation on Sansa. At this point in the book, Sansa was still hoping that Dontos would be her hero. Still living in a fantasy world.

I still think we'll see her grow in the show. Clegane's drunken advance during the Battle of Blackwater will all be a part of her learning the lesson that there's no such thing as heroes etc.

I hope we hear her sing to him. Forgot about that. The show needs more music. That and the "The Rains of Castamere" in season 3 and I'd be happy.

Give it time on D&D's interpretation on Sansa. At this point in the book, Sansa was still hoping that Dontos would be her hero. Still living in a fantasy world.

I still think we'll see her grow in the show. Clegane's drunken advance during the Battle of Blackwater will all be a part of her learning the lesson that there's no such thing as heroes etc.

I hope we hear her sing to him. Forgot about that. The show needs more music. That and the "The Rains of Castamere" in season 3 and I'd be happy.

The song is in. D&D confirmed in an interview that Sophie was more afraid of singing a song during one particular scene that she was of the near-rape. That's a pretty good clue that the song is in.

We don't know what D&D will do, I'm sure there will be character development. During the beating in the throne room, the books showed her worry over the what will beforehand as well as the process of her mentally preparing herself for what she knew was likely to come. Instead in the book, she gets two sentences of pleading. Then, cue the dramatic music. Tyrion enters and slowly walks all the way down the room with the camera on him. The camera is on him again for the majority of his exchange with Joffrey, there is a brief pause when Sandor puts the cloak on Sansa. The camera returns to Tyrion when he reaches his arm out to her before we see a shot of her face. On the way out, it's him talking, a brief flash of her face as she walks out stating that she is loyal to Joffrey. He then admires her with the Lady Stark comment. Again, Tyrion is the hero. In the books, he was completely clueless about what she was doing. Sandor was the one that got it.

Later during the riot scene, we saw Sansa also noticing the tension with the mob. She talks to Joffrey and is able to influence him to throw coins to the people. Great opportunity to show that she is observant and compassionate. It also reminds me when she thinks to herself that if she is ever queen she would make the people love her.

Instead, she has solely been a victim this season. Much of her characterization is just gone. Sansa is my favorite character in the series, as may be obvious, so it's been frustrating at times.

[...]

Instead, she has solely been a victim this season. Much of her characterization is just gone. Sansa is my favorite character in the series, as may be obvious, so it's been frustrating at times.

Just another perspective: my husband is only about halfway through the first book, but he's really admired Sansa this season. He thinks she's really interesting as a character, whereas in the first season I think he thought she was just a silly girl. I suppose those who've read, and especially those who are "Sansa fans," really notice when things are missing concerning a character or exchange, but what D&D are doing seems to be getting the point across.

. The show needs more music. That and the "The Rains of Castamere" in season 3 and I'd be happy.

Sadly three of the main attractions of the books have be sorely missed : brightly coloured costumes, food and songs.

I believe the dinner Tyrion gave to Janos Slynt was the only one so far. The riot would have been much believable if the nobles were shown eating from time to time, while the people were starving. On the contrary, they seem to be very frugal and substisting on wine alone while the streets were shown full of merchants selling eels and apples.

And I can't imagine going on much longer without hearing "A bear, a bear!" Hopefully the PW will have music and food (77 servings ?)

Yeah, I was stoked about the "little bird" reference, but felt like it fell flat 1. because he said it so quietly, and 2. because it was thrown in with no backstory. ah well ^__^

Also, what happened to the halfwit girl who was gangbanged (for wont of a better term).

I liked the little bird reference as well.

From the moment the near rape (Sansa) began I knew who was going to step in (I have read four of the books).

Lollys (the gang raped girl) has been written out of the series thus far. She only served two very small purposes in the book anyway.

And I can't imagine going on much longer without hearing "A bear, a bear!" Hopefully the PW will have music and food (77 servings ?)

"All black and brown, and covered with hair!"

Maybe they will sing it 77 times taking up 45 min. of that episode. ;)

Just another perspective: my husband is only about halfway through the first book, but he's really admired Sansa this season. He thinks she's really interesting as a character, whereas in the first season I think he thought she was just a silly girl. I suppose those who've read, and especially those who are "Sansa fans," really notice when things are missing concerning a character or exchange, but what D&D are doing seems to be getting the point across.

Good to know. I know many in RL who are just watching the show, majority opinion is that she's the young brat turned abuse victim. D&D are getting points across, but there are very big elements of her personality that are lost.

I loved the San/San scene and hope there are more. I like the idea of the two of them ending up together. I think he is sexy.

I really liked the way he so calmly saved her, the ripped guts hanging down, and the fact that he just unemotionally and efficiently saved her and carried her away. Awesome!

The Hound is one of my favorite characters and I am pleased ot see the HBO series including the San/San story.

Did they change Sandor's make up around his eyes somehow? In this episode he finally looks as hard as he seems in the books. Before he always bothered me because I thought he had these sad basset hound eyes.

I just can't wait for Blackwater Bay. I love all of the Sandor/Sansa scenes, although they slightly 'lessened' it or something. As some of you say, I think the producers are moving towards the wedding of Sansa and Tyrion. I just hope that they will make her more.. as in the books. Smarter, learning.

And I hope she kills Littlefinger somehow, in the sixth or seventh book. Preferably by chopping of his head sonofabitch.

I feel like Sansa and Sandor's relationship (not in a shipping sense) should be more vital and emphasized in season 2, but they've barely shed any light on it. Just so disappointing to me since I want to see Sophie's acting chops for this storyline. They're barely paying any attention to her, and Sansa's life is like a living hell in the second book, between Joffery and Cersei's cruelties and the Hound mocking her. It's just irritating.

Her compassion, observational skills and isolation have all been ditched this season. Instead we just get an abuse victim. There are lots of great parts of her character, like trying to get Joff to throw coins to the Mob and the way she defending Tommen crying, that have either not been included or terribly botched so that instead of compassionate, she comes off as bratty.

Her compassion, observational skills and isolation have all been ditched this season. Instead we just get an abuse victim. There are lots of great parts of her character, like trying to get Joff to throw coins to the Mob and the way she defending Tommen crying, that have either not been included or terribly botched so that instead of compassionate, she comes off as bratty.

I agree. I would also add that Sansa was the intellectual in the family, she is the one that would know the history of Aegon and have knowledge of houses, sigils, etc. Instead, all that knowledge has been given to Arya who had that delightful line about most girls being stupid. It seemed like a direct dig at Sansa's charcter which has already been butchered enough.

Here, I have summarized every single Sansa scene this season.

1. Enter Sansa

2. Have her receive emotional/phyiscal/sexual abuse

3. Sansa cries or begs

4. Sansa exits

Did I miss anything?

I agree. I would also add that Sansa was the intellectual in the family, she is the one that would know the history of Aegon and have knowledge of houses, sigils, etc. Instead, all that knowledge has been given to Arya who had that delightful line about most girls being stupid. It seemed like a direct dig at Sansa's charcter which has already been butchered enough.

1. Enter Sansa

3. Sansa cries or begs

4. Sansa exits

Did I miss anything?

Nope, you didn't. Sadly enough.

1. Enter Sansa

3. Sansa cries or begs

4. Sansa exits

Did I miss anything?

As sadly accurate as that is, it could be worse. She hasn't bludgeoned her cousin Robert Arynn to death with a rock yet...

Nope, you didn't. Sadly enough.

As sadly accurate as that is, it could be worse. She hasn't bludgeoned her cousin Robert Arynn to death with a rock yet...

Not sure if I should be proud of my powers of observation or depressed that others agree with me.

Oh, and she kills her cousin in next weeks episode. They hinted at that in the teaser for that episode. It's right before they showing Tywin and Arya riding Space Mountain together at Disneyland.

And the Jaime killing his cousin scene...that's on my nitpick list too.

Archived