[Book Spoilers] The Little Bird and the Hound

I hope Sansa says "Thank you Ser for saving me" in an upcoming scene and he says "Bugger on your Ser" and explains the Knight BS and how it's not all songs and glory. It's death and worse and tells the story of his burning, making the Littlefinger scene at the Hand's Tourney that much more annoying.

Yeah, I was stoked about the "little bird" reference, but felt like it fell flat 1. because he said it so quietly, and 2. because it was thrown in with no backstory. ah well ^__^

Also, what happened to the halfwit girl who was gangbanged (for wont of a better term).

That half-wit was Lollys Stokeworth http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Lollys_Stokeworth and if you remember - Bronn ends up marrying her to become a Lord. They've taken a different turn with Bronn's story so I'm thinking Lollys may never make an appearance since her one biggest plot contribution at this point was the rape scene where she was unfortunately impregnated by one of the city scum who raped her.

It was a beautiful episode for me due to sansa & the hound! of course, it was horrible to watch sansa almost being raped, but sandor was perfect and managed to find her before the worse happened. and he finally called her LB twice, besides the "LB is bleeding, someone take her back to her cage and see to that cut" bit.. i loved it and i am realllllly looking forward to next week's episode. rory & sophie can really do some wonderful acting!

i also think dontos may finally re-appear until the 10th episode. apparently he was in some of the scenes in episode 4 when sansa was being beaten in the throne room, but he was mostly cut out of them..

& i agree that the show is hinting greatly to the future tyrion/sansa marriage, which i don't like that much. i love tyrion and peter dinklage, but the hound is my favorite... thank the gods they had tyrion in this episode stating a reason why they need to keep sansa safe (jaime) or it would've all come out wrong if he was hanging around after he was back safely in the castle waiting to see if sansa came back,, i suppose that it is due to the marriage between them next season that we are also getting the whole sansa/shae situation, so it can build up tension between these two, and tyrion as well i guess..

I liked the Hound's brutal efficiency. It was damn-near perfect. I also liked the casual way he threw Sansa over his shoulder and carried her off, no ceremonious/clichéd sweeping into his arms. I didn't like him picking a guy up by the throat with one hand. It doesn't look plausible when 'roided-up modern professional wrestlers try it, it doesn't look plausible when medieval folk, even abnormally large ones, try it.

Admit it: for a second I'm sure you all though she would actually be raped. All non-readers believed it. That's why diverting from the books is so great for those who know the story in and out.

No, I honestly did not believe she would be raped. I knew Clegane saved her in the books and I was pretty sure the scene was a setup for that, just done a bit differently. If they had gone ahead and had her raped, I would have honestly been really shocked. I don't mind a lot of the story changes they've made so far, but that would have been a bit too far out of bounds in my opinion considering the overall direction Sansa's story goes from here on out.

I will admit the scene had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, biting my nails - and that's even knowing how it goes!

It has seemed to me that the show writers are emphasizing the future Tyrion/Sansa match. From the first episode where he makes a point to offer Sansa condolences, to his "rescue" of her from Joffrey's abuse, to his frantic concern for her well-being during the riot. Sure, perhaps he's just worried about keeping their sole Stark captive safe and unspoiled, but Dinklage is playing it suave, in my opinion. For a minute I thought the show writers were going to change and have Tyrion rescue Sansa from the mob. What a riot there would have been amongst San/San devotees!

In the books I got the impression that Martin wanted us to think Tyrion really was coming around to Sansa, but then in ADWD, he was a sloppy drunk only concerned with "where whores go." To me, it was disappointing and tiresome.

Edit: I meant to say at first that I did think the Hound's rescue was thrilling, and that he seemed very cool with the "little bird" and "I didn't do it for you" business.

^ This.

Everytime Tyrion mentioned anything about Sansa, I'm reminded of their impending "union". Perhaps, to make viewers think he is really concerned for her? Anyway as to the Hound, horray for that! It's different from his manic, slash-happy way of killing in the books, but honestly, I prefer him sound and serious.

I didn't like him picking a guy up by the throat with one hand. It doesn't look plausible when 'roided-up modern professional wrestlers try it, it doesn't look plausible when medieval folk, even abnormally large ones, try it.

I've seen my old man lift someone one-handed by the throat. Its not a superhero move.

I was surprised Tyrion saw Joffery's reaction (ordering the crowd killed after being hit by a mud pie) as particularly evil/mad, considering the standards he's judging by. Wouldn't most kings and other people of importance have a sense of their own superiority high enough to be affronted by the insult? It seemed they'd not been particularly smart regarding the security of the Lannisters and Sansa in the first place (the books had them mounted with mounted gaurds for the riot, didn't it?).

I don't know that Tyrion's concern about Sansa implies he's falling for her in preparation for the later marriage: the whole theme of the marriage is that Tyrion doesn't feel that way about Sansa - he sees her as an innocent child, and as the victim of his family's schemes, which also explain his concern for her in this scene. Pity that the Hound and Tyrion can't bond over their mutual weakness for Sansa - you'd think both of them could use someone extra on his side. I wonder what Joffery would have thought of the Hound's heroic rescue (btw. did it strike anyone else that his concern for Sansa was kind of undermined by his rather rough way of carrying her to safety? I guess that's part of his nature though). I was also wondering why the Hound puts up with Joffery speaking to him the way he does.

It's death and worse and tells the story of his burning, making the Littlefinger scene at the Hand's Tourney that much more annoying.

I think it'd be interesting, as a shout out to book fans, if he was beginning to tell the story and Sansa said "Yes, I know" to which Sandor would reply "What?". Would be a nice way to sneak a bit of across the board comedy in!

I've seen my old man lift someone one-handed by the throat. Its not a superhero move.

You've seen your old man lift a guy up, hold him at arm's length for a bit, use his free hand to perform some other task (probably not gutting a person) in front of his body, and then drop the person? BS.

Yes, it's TV. Yes, it's fantasy. Yes, the Hound is very strong. But he's just a large man in a medieval setting, with no magic powers or potions of strength. It's okay to let him be badass within the bounds of physics.

It has seemed to me that the show writers are emphasizing the future Tyrion/Sansa match. From the first episode where he makes a point to offer Sansa condolences, to his "rescue" of her from Joffrey's abuse, to his frantic concern for her well-being during the riot. Sure, perhaps he's just worried about keeping their sole Stark captive safe and unspoiled, but Dinklage is playing it suave, in my opinion. For a minute I thought the show writers were going to change and have Tyrion rescue Sansa from the mob. What a riot there would have been amongst San/San devotees!

In the books I got the impression that Martin wanted us to think Tyrion really was coming around to Sansa, but then in ADWD, he was a sloppy drunk only concerned with "where whores go." To me, it was disappointing and tiresome.

I completely agree. In the books he offers condolences and stops the beating. But, during the riot, it takes him a moment to even notice she was missing. I'm OK with the condolence scene. I was rather frustrated about the beating since that was a significant moment in Sansa's arc in that book but instead we were treated to yet another scene where Tyrion got to be the hero. During the riot, he asked where Sansa was then once they returned to the keep, he asks about her again. Then, for good measure, he rushes in to play the hero when Sandor brings her back.

After reading Feast, it's very apparent that Sandor had a much larger impact on Sansa yet they have chosen to emphasize Tyrion this season instead and I could not say why.

As for the books, I disagree that he was coming around to Sansa the individual. I think he was growing increasingly unhappy over their marriage while still (futily) hoping there was someway he could get what he wanted out of it. During his POV chapter during the Purple Wedding, he has a couple bitter thoughts over Sansa and completely misunderstands some of her actions, showing just how little he knows her.

Reading both Feast and Dance, they hardly think of the other. Compare that to how many times Sansa thinks of Sandor during this same timeframe. Huge difference.

Dinklage is turning in a great performance but I've come to the conclusion that there can be too much of a good thing.

Yeah, I was stoked about the "little bird" reference, but felt like it fell flat 1. because he said it so quietly, and 2. because it was thrown in with no backstory. ah well ^__^

Also, what happened to the halfwit girl who was gangbanged (for wont of a better term).

A friend of mine thought he was saying little baby instead of little bird.

And also, the term you are looking for is gang rape.

Yes, it's TV. Yes, it's fantasy. Yes, the Hound is very strong. But he's just a large man in a medieval setting, with no magic powers or potions of strength. It's okay to let him be badass within the bounds of physics.

The Hound pisses on your physics.

I completely agree. In the books he offers condolences and stops the beating. But, during the riot, it takes him a moment to even notice she was missing. I'm OK with the condolence scene. I was rather frustrated about the beating since that was a significant moment in Sansa's arc in that book but instead we were treated to yet another scene where Tyrion got to be the hero. During the riot, he asked where Sansa was then once they returned to the keep, he asks about her again. Then, for good measure, he rushes in to play the hero when Sandor brings her back.

After reading Feast, it's very apparent that Sandor had a much larger impact on Sansa yet they have chosen to emphasize Tyrion this season instead and I could not say why.

Its seem hey want to make Tyrion to the new major character of the series, but they would lose what they build up of viewer love if they but him in a marriage situation like in the books, if he seems to don't care for his wife he would be see as an a**hole and D&D try to avoid that in my oppinon.

I'm not a SanSan supporter but the scene was amazing, the hound remindes me of the Terminator, good acting

I was in awe of this scene!

I was really petrified for Sansa.

And amazed by the Hound taking care of business.

Sowed the seeds of SanSan for all of us!

I am about finished with my re-read of ASoS. Just read the tavern fight.

Arya's relation to the Dog, and the Dog's relation to Arya ... it's just a gem!

(Heck the fight is one of the best things George wrote for the series.)

It says so much about the Hound's relation to the Stark ladies.

I really hope Sandor is not dead, George could get some exquisite mileage out the relation with the Stark girls.

Lord only knows.

Its seem hey want to make Tyrion to the new major character of the series, but they would lose what they build up of viewer love if they but him in a marriage situation like in the books, if he seems to don't care for his wife he would be see as an a**hole and D&D try to avoid that in my oppinon.

I'm not a SanSan supporter but the scene was amazing, the hound remindes me of the Terminator, good acting

I think you are right about making Tyrion the new major character of the series. If they decide to change how the marriage looks, it may make Tyrion look better but it would do disservice to Sansa's character. However, they have been doing precisely that this season so I will not be that surprised if it happens. I will disappointed that D&D think so little of Sansa.

Being a SanSan supporter has nothing to do with recognizing the influence he has had on her life or enjoying the scene.

And yeah, he went full terminator during the rescue. I enjoyed watching it and hope to see more in coming episodes.

Archived