What is Dany's long-term plan for Westeros...

I don't see her having a moment of doubt and I don't think it will test her convictions. She will dismiss Aegon's claim simply because the switched at birth story is too convenient, too perfect, and ultimately unprovable. We readers may know the truth of a character's lineage, if GRRM chooses to share that truth, but he characters can never really know for sure what the truth is. Therfore the charcters Daenerys, Aegon, JonCon, Jon Snow-Stark-Targeryn are free to believe whoever or whatever without a test of their convictions. For example let's suppose that Howland Reed finally appears and tells Jon his parents were R+L. Jon can choose to believe or dismiss Howland Reed. If he dismisses the story there is no testing of his conviction he simply remains Ned's son and chalks Howland up to being a crackpot or a schemer. Its only if Jon chooses to believe that his convictions (I'm a Stark, a FM, a brother of the NW) get tested. Since It will totally be within Daenerys' character not to believe Aegon VI is the real deal then her convictions won't be tested.

I may have rambled here hopefully I made my point.

Edit <spelling>

Yes, but what about other people in Westeros who do believe, or choose to believe, that Aegon's real? Are they going to tolerate a kinslayer on the throne? "That mad queen Daenerys murdered her poor long-lost nephew and spouted some nonsense about prophecy." Dany could defeat Aegon and still lose in the long run.

Yes, but what about other people in Westeros who do believe, or choose to believe, that Aegon's real? Are they going to tolerate a kinslayer on the throne? "That mad queen Daenerys murdered her poor long-lost nephew and spouted some nonsense about prophecy." Dany could defeat Aegon and still lose in the long run.

I think it would turn out similar to the DwD and the Blackfyre rebellion. Not all of the people will like the outcome but in the end the winner has the throne, gets to make the rules, and the people get to accept it (begrudgingly perhaps), get executed, flee, or take the black.

IFYI the edit part of my post was because I ADDED more information and didn't remove any. I'm not that type to remove words in my posts just to cover my tracks.

I'm really quite sure I recall seeing the word used, but if you're going to tell me I was somehow imagining things, I'm not going to waste a great deal of time quibbling over it. If any mods can look back and clarify the issue though, I wouldn't be averse to it, and I'd still bet money my memory of the situation was correct.

Even if so, however, it's fair to say you may not have intentionally deleted anything. But you must understand how it would have seemed.

The only way I see the whole Aegon thing working with Dany, is if she and him marry, which I believe, was suggested in the books. But we all know how she deals with marriages. And Aegon being so young, I doubt she will see him as husband material. Also, I think she has a whole power struggle thing going on. She wouldn't want to marry Aegon, and everyone see him as the one with power (which is how the kingdom will see it) Especially with her lower ranking in the next in line thing. But there has been skippings over in succession in the Targaryen reign. I guess she could argue that Raegar was killed before he was ever king, and skip Aegon in the succession, maybe make him her hand or part of the small council and her heir apparent. As far as that would go over... it's in the air. I don't think it's very likely. I agree she will probably fight Aegon, and see him as an impostor and usurper.

I think it would turn out similar to the DwD and the Blackfyre rebellion. Not all of the people will like the outcome but in the end the winner has the throne, gets to make the rules, and the people get to accept it (begrudgingly perhaps), get executed, flee, or take the black.

Not sure those two are the best examples.

Most lords and knights in the Dance of the Dragons era would have demanded that a son come before a daughter, so to most of them, the "right" person won. And Rhaenyra's followers still got some satisfaction in that her son became king after Aegon II.

And in the Blackfyre Rebellion, the "legal" ruler won, not the would-be usurper. So I think it might have been an easier pill to swallow. Whereas Dany "stealing" the throne from her "nephew" — a female trying to displace a male with a superior claim — would be tough to reconcile.

Robert toppling Aerys might be closer to the mark, but that wasn't without just cause, and as we can see, there are still plotters long after the conflict.

I think Tyrion was onto something, getting Ageon to build his army and reputation before going to wed Dany. I think she has shown herself to be receptive to marry someone with power (Hizdar) who can help her meet her objectives. Holding part of Westos with the Golden Company will make Ageon more attractive, whether she believes he is really her nephew or not.

I was thinking though that the rumour that he is a Targ might make him a marriage-able target for Arianne in Dorne before Dany gets her act together to go? If he's off the cards ... Who else in Westeros is eligible for her to marry? Jon if he is actually Lyanna and Rhaegar's? Victarion, but only if he combats Euron? Harry the heir seems pretty far beneath her ...

Archived