What is Dany's long-term plan for Westeros...

She doesn't even have an actual battle plan for conquering the Seven Kingdoms. I sincerely doubt a question as long-term as "What happens when I die?" has occurred to her.

This basically.

Her plan seems to be:

1. Put Dothraki and dragons and Unsullied on ships.

2. Arrive in Westeros. Does it matter where? It's all the same, right?

3. Burn it all.

4. ???

5. ???

6. PROFIT.

If anyone has sussed out an actual plan different from the one I have, I'm all ears. But near as I can tell, she has no idea where she's landing, she doesn't really know which families will declare for her (Barristan tells her it's a lot, but this comes off as ass-kissing more than an actual strategy for gaining followers), she has no concept that winter has hit the country and most people couldn't survive a Dothraki pillaging, and she has no idea what do with a few extra tens of thousands of mouths to feed, assuming she does intend to bring all these people with her.

And please spare me that she's Aegon I with boobs. Aegon I had three fully grown dragons that he and his two completely loyal kinswomen were in total control of. He also, near as I can tell, had some basic overall strategy before he landed to which he adhered — he seems to have used his table-map to know where every castle, ever family, every river, every mountain range was, and he faced his enemies one or two at a time, something Dany probably won't have the luxury of. He had a close-by home base in Dragonstone, and a minimal number of actual soldiers (read: less people to go raping and pillaging, and less mouths to feed if times got rough). Overall, he ran a pretty efficient, methodical operation.

Compare that with Dany, who barely has control of one adolescent dragon, who has no real control over what happens with the other two, who has a ginormous horde of foreign fighters who will need to be fed and sheltered (the smallfolk will love that), who's arriving right at the start of what promises to be a brutal winter, and whose only knowledge of Westerosi factions comes down to the Usurper's Dogs and the Dornish whom she (reasonably, I admit) rejected.

Considering all of that, asking, "What will Dany do when she dies if she's infertile?" is putting the horse about two miles ahead of the cart. :P

I don't think she has a long-term plan with respect to how to bring things to a close, but I submit that neither did Robb, and he rarely catches any flack for it.

No, I don't think she has a plan yet. There's youth and inexperience (and lack of any formal training to boot) talking; it'd be ridiculously unrealistic if she did have one, or even any real sense of how to form one for a land she's never even set foot on.

In short, she doesn't have one, but neither would absolutely anyone else in her shoes.

I don't think she has a long-term plan with respect to how to bring things to a close, but I submit that neither did Robb, and he rarely catches any flack for it.

And that eventually caught up with him, didn't it?

ETA: And Dr. Pepper is right. For all his problems, Robb had the good sense to draw up a will.

No, I don't think she has a plan yet. There's youth and inexperience (and lack of any formal training to boot) talking; it'd be ridiculously unrealistic if she did have one, or even any real sense of how to form one for a land she's never even set foot on.

In short, she doesn't have one, but neither would absolutely anyone else in her shoes.

Uh, actually Robb did think ahead to what would happen if/when he died. He tried very hard to conceive an heir with Jeyne and he also made a will. It's ridiculous that Dany thinks she's barren and isn't thinking at all about what could happen if she doesn't produce an heir to the throne she wants to bleed and burn her way to.

@Apple

And who has a master plan?

Stannis- Kill everybody who doesn't kneel now. Kill the rest later

Renly- Attack Kingslanding and....

Stark- Attack Attack Attack

“Which plan?” said Tristan Rivers. “The fat man’s plan? The one that changes every time the moon turns? First Viserys Targaryen was to join us with fifty thousand Dothraki screamers at his back. Then the Beggar King was dead, and it was to be the sister, a pliable young child queen who was on her way to Pentos with three new-hatched dragons. Instead the girl turns up on Slaver’s Bay and leaves a string of burning cities in her wake, and the fat man decides we should meet her by Volantis. Now that plan is in ruins as well.
Shit changes. If you work on your plots and missions your going to wind up like the Prince of Dorne who still hasn't claimed vengance for his sister's life. Dany started off with a dead husband and three dragon eggs. She is now the queen of a few large armies and the greatest conqueror Essos has ever seen. She should keep on playing it by ear.

@Apple

And who has a master plan?

Stannis- Kill everybody who doesn't kneel now. Kill the rest later

Renly- Attack Kingslanding and....

Stark- Attack Attack Attack

Stannis Baratheon is stuck in the middle of a goddamn blizzard and has yet to take Winterfell.

Renly Baratheon is dead.

Robb Stark is dead.

Gee, you'd think that not having a master plan of some sort might have backfired on them.

Stannis Baratheon is stuck in the middle of a goddamn blizzard and has yet to take Winterfell.

Renly Baratheon is dead.

Robb Stark is dead.

Gee, you'd think that not having a master plan of some sort might have backfired on them.

So your arguing no character has a plan, that's stupid. Dany is a character, she is stupid.

ETA.

But Dany kind of has a plan. She has an army of Unsullied and a every Khalasar ever. Drogon may not be as big as Aegon's dragon, but it aint small either. And she knows that their will be friends in Westeros. This is more then Aegon ever had

I think Dany's long term plan was to stay in Meereen for a while in order to understand how to be a good monarch and rally herself to figure out the best way to approach Westeros. The original plan was to have her there for five years. Of course, that plan didn't really work out as intedned, either. But, I agree, Grumps. I think the only characters with a big plan as of this moment are: Littlefinger, Varys, Bloodraven and maybe Melisandre. I'm interested to see how thier long-term plans work out.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, DORAN! How could I forget that gouty old bastard.

Was she not at one point on planning on meeting up with the Golden Company? Or had the GC planned on meeting her?

GC was going to meet her. Or so the Cheesemonger said...

@ Baby

Bloodraven I'm not even sure if he exists (never read Dunk and Egg, don't yell at me) Meli thinks Stannis is Jesus, even though Jon is Jesus so I don't think highly of her plan. Varys, I'm pretty sure just want's a Targ to be king, but to say he has a master plan I don't buy it, where did the Imp and his trigger happy finger fit into those plans? LF... fuck if I know.

She went to Slaver's Bay to get a small army. One thing led to the next and she own's Slaver's Bay, along with an army and a navy. However her dragon's were stilly tiny so she decided to wait untill they are big enough to ride. This is now, so theirs no reason why she won't go to war. But Dany has a gentle heart and loves her children and she is also the stallion that mounts the world, not Westeros so I'm sure she will keep Slaver's bay.

Robb had a reasonable long-term plan. It didn't work out, thanks to a string of bad luck and mad potential allies, but from Moat Cailin throughout the first quarter of Clash it worked fine. furthermore, he hasn't had much choice. Not trying to save his family would be suicide as a Lord.

And still he catches flak for it not working till the very end.

On the other hand, Dany has no plan, no idea whatever, no need to involve herself in Westeros and apparently no interest in it except "ugha ugha mine".

I´m think Dany is gonna snap at some point and go Targ-style crazy on everyone, then she´ll drink a gallon of wildfire and light it in the hopes of transforming into a dragon so she can marry Drogon and form the new dragon-dynasty of Westeros

Or maybe not

Renly Baratheon is dead.

Robb Stark is dead.

By contrast, I'd also note that Littlefinger is now more or less in control of possibly the largest remaining army in Westeros, completely untouched by the last two years of fighting, and has enough supplies stocked to survive the coming Winter. Varys has a strong claimants to the throne in place, poised to take advantage of the power vacuum in Westeros.

Everyone makes fun of Doran Martell's inaction, but even without Quentin, he's actually in a pretty strong strategic position - even stronger if he aligns with Connington and YG.

There's something to be said about thinking through the endgame.

Archived