[Book Spoilers] Jojen and Meera Reed

These are two characters, fairly major, from the books, that have yet to arise at all in the series.

I've been waiting for them to show up, interested to see the casting, yet it seems there is no sign of them.

By all rights they should have arrived by now, weeks before Theon attacked Winterfell.

So has the tv show decided to completley cut them as characters? Or they in store for later?

At the end of the episode we see Osha, Bran, Rickon and Hodor escape Winterfell,

And in the books, Osha leaves with Rickon, and splits with Bran to stay safe.

Bran goes with Hodor, and Meera and Jojen Reed, the children of Ned's friend Howland Reed.

So if the series has in fact cut them, who can Bran travel with? Hodor is no safe companion for him.

Will he meet the Reeds later? Or will the Osha/Hodor/Bran/Rickon gang stick together instead?

I don't think Bran needs to meet them. In fact I am glad they aren't on the show.

if i had a sword i would have unsheathed it and told you to "mind your tongue Ser"

Meera is going to stay with Bran and become a child of the forest! It is know!

I can imagine them turning up next season. Osha, Hodor, Bran and Rickon travelling north and they're suddenly stopped by a couple of stealthy shadows amongst the trees. I'm sure D&D can conjure some plausible reason why they would be that far north but we'll see.

Really don't understand how this comes up so much, theyre boring characters that D&D have already closed the book on by having Osha explain Brans green dreams. There's literally mention of them in almost every thread...there's no time for third tier characters, we can barely fit what we have now in 10 hours seasons.

The last interview with D&D could be interpreted as the Reeds being in the show.

They are just delayed.

What interview is that? The one where they say certain characters got pushed to season 3 and beyond? Or a newer one?

As far as not having time to include them, ASOS is being split into two 10 episode seasons, which gives them plenty of opportunities to introduce one or both of the Reeds. I would love for them to come and I am still convinced they will show up next season.

Having Osha as a companion, and not having her go with Rickon is just a bad move for many reasons, and I don't think D&D will alter the plot that much with this change. If they really love Osha so much, they can add new scenes with her taking Rickon to Skagos, because we all know the producers love to write their own scenes and add material anyways.

I'm guessing that Bran and crew will keep with Osha until they reach the wall. If they are cutting the Reeds Osha can turn over Bran to Coldhands? It's not very good baby sitting but maybe she knows something that we don't? hmm I have always believed Cold hands to be the long lost Benjen Stark so giving him to his uncle is fine by me.

The Reeds provide more than just explanation of Bran's green dreams. How else do we get this little bit of history without them? Roz will learn about the tournament at Harrenhal and the Knight of the Laughing Tree whilst in the throes of ho passion?

I understand they are not critical to the relaying of this information, but I really enjoyed reading Meera's tale of it all. There's a lot of this tournament history and Cersei's tale with Maggy the Frog etc that helped give the reader insight. How will the viewer get it?

The Reeds provide more than just explanation of Bran's green dreams. How else do we get this little bit of history without them? Roz will learn about the tournament at Harrenhal and the Knight of the Laughing Tree whilst in the throes of ho passion?

I understand they are not critical to the relaying of this information, but I really enjoyed reading Meera's tale of it all. There's a lot of this tournament history and Cersei's tale with Maggy the Frog etc that helped give the reader insight. How will the viewer get it?

By reading the books... in other words i don't think they will.

Really don't understand how this comes up so much, theyre boring characters that D&D have already closed the book on by having Osha explain Brans green dreams. There's literally mention of them in almost every thread...there's no time for third tier characters, we can barely fit what we have now in 10 hours seasons.

If the Reeds are third tier characters, Osha is fifth or sixth. I don't see how people think Osha is a fine replacement for the Reed's, she is a much less interesting character and somehow the tv version of her bores me more than the book version.

If the Reeds are third tier characters, Osha is fifth or sixth. I don't see how people think Osha is a fine replacement for the Reed's, she is a much less interesting character and somehow the tv version of her bores me more than the book version.

Finally someone who agrees with me on this! She is a very lame character, and I really don't understand the big love of her by the producers and now apparently GRRM. So the actress played her is from Harry Potter..wow..big deal. Is her acting really that great? I personally don't think it is.

The Reeds are great and Bran can actually relate to them. They are his friends and bring some lighthearted interactions to the story and their relation to Howland Reed is sure to be very important. They are still with Bran in the novels, and who is to say they won't be crucial to the last 2 books?

Osha on the other hand is a barely developed wildling who doesn't want to go back North of the wall under any circumstances. In the show they have randomly given her more knowledge and importance, but she is still pretty barebones as a character.

The Reeds deserve to be on the show for sure.

I don't think of the Reeds as third tier characters. They're important to Bran's development. It's important that Rickon and Bran are separated and that can't happen without the Reeds. Bran would never take his baby brother that far up north. I hope that they meet the Reeds during their journey. Then, without the Reeds, it would be more necessary to hang about in the crypt since it would be harder for the two boys to travel. We don't know at this time if they double back to the crypt or not in the television version.

Yes, Osha can absorb some of the Reeds' roles, BUT NOT FOR LONG. Really now. Has everyone forgotten the part where they separate to make it more difficult to catch both of them?! Osha will never return north of the wall. She's dead scared of it. Even if she does accompany Bran until the wall, will Bran just be left alone with Hodor? That's responsible parenting for you. Bran needs bannermen who somehow know what they're doing. Most people probably don't like the Reeds because of Jojen, but think of their significance in the whole story. Is Howland Reed going to pop out of nowhere without ceremony?

Yes, Osha can absorb some of the Reeds' roles, BUT NOT FOR LONG. Really now. Has everyone forgotten the part where they separate to make it more difficult to catch both of them?! Osha will never return north of the wall. She's dead scared of it. Even if she does accompany Bran until the wall, will Bran just be left alone with Hodor? That's responsible parenting for you. Bran needs bannermen who somehow know what they're doing. Most people probably don't like the Reeds because of Jojen, but think of their significance in the whole story. Is Howland Reed going to pop out of nowhere without ceremony?

We've made it 5 books w/o a Howland sighting so far.

Why on earth couldn't they find an easier way to introduce him if he ever is needed, than two more child actors who will rapidly outgrow their small roles. It's different contending with Stark children growing up in real life faster than the story...why would they want two more to contend with.

I like them more than Osha...but that's not the point. You have the Reeds in the book...they explain to Bran green dreams and misc history. Osha has already explained green dreams and can further elaborate as needed. Any derelict along the road can be added in if they really feel TV viewers need ToJ and Laughing Tree information heaped into their already overflowing brains.

I understand missing them because you enjoy them in the books...I did as well, but it just seems like this discussion come up constantly on multiple forums (specifically lately the D&D interview with pushed back events...which could mean anything...yet people are somehow now using that for Reed justification also) and all signs are pointing to them being absorbed into Osha.

An actress we pretty much know at least needs to babysit Rickon through Skagos is a lot more of an asset to a TV shows bottom line than two more child actors of marginal use at this point.

I'm on the camp of no reeds. All Jojen does is have green dreams and then get eaten. They can give the green dreams to Bran and cut the Jojen eating. Meera does even less, she's just someone Bran wants to get his leg over but can't. Bran will get dreams summoning him North and Osha whos already started to show reverence for his dreams as they've come true won't argue. They'll all go up together where they'll meet Coldhands just the otherside of the wall. He'll tell Osha only Bran & his half wit can come and she will take Rickon to Skagos/Davos/Manderly. Done.

I'm on the camp of no reeds. All Jojen does is have green dreams and then get eaten. They can give the green dreams to Bran and cut the Jojen eating. Meera does even less, she's just someone Bran wants to get his leg over but can't. Bran will get dreams summoning him North and Osha whos already started to show reverence for his dreams as they've come true won't argue. They'll all go up together where they'll meet Coldhands just the otherside of the wall. He'll tell Osha only Bran & his half wit can come and she will take Rickon to Skagos/Davos/Manderly. Done.

This seems like it should be so obvious to everyone with the path they're currently on...I miss the Reeds, but I just can't see how anyone is assuming they'll be in at this point because they're "needed".

I'm on the camp of no reeds. All Jojen does is have green dreams and then get eaten. They can give the green dreams to Bran and cut the Jojen eating. Meera does even less, she's just someone Bran wants to get his leg over but can't.

Did you even read the books? Jojen doesn't get eaten..I don't even know what you are talking about. Your sentence regarding Meera makes even less sense.

Osha has said so many times that she will NOT go north again. She is scared shitless of being beyond the wall, and Bran talking about the three eyed crow certainly doesn't seem like a convincing enough argument to get her to change her mind. I really don't know why so many people are anti-Reed children, and they seem to think Osha can effectively take their place in all regards. This just isn't true.

As far as them being child actors, it seems that the casting for children on the show has been pretty superb so far. I don't believe it would be any different for one or both of the Reed children. There would be many people willing to play them, and they would probably not require a huge salary to be on the show. If this actress playing Osha is "so great", I am sure her contract is much higher, and if she demands more screentime, I am sure they could show her taking Rickon and Shaggydog to Skagos. The producers love to add new scenes, and this would be a chance for them to do just that once again.

Once again, the Reeds are still with Bran in the novels, and his story isn't over. I am 99% sure they will be involved with his continued storyline. Also, Howland Reed has been mentioned by GRRM many times in interviews, and he says we will get to meet him. Having a little bit more of the background in the show and having his kids really isn't too much information for the tv viewers that watch this show. I know plenty of people who watch this and haven't read the books, and they are dying to know more background information.

Archived