Stannis humor

• 3 weeks later...

From the WoW except

(Stannis finds out Arnolf Karstark's Maester is sending letters to Winterfell. The Maester pisses himself from fear, Stannis asks what's in the letter)

Maester: The rules of my order forbid me to divulge the contents of Lord Arnolf's letters."

Stannis: Your vows are stronger than your bladder, it would seem"

From the WoW except

(Stannis finds out Arnolf Karstark's Maester is sending letters to Winterfell. The Maester pisses himself from fear, Stannis asks what's in the letter)

Maester: The rules of my order forbid me to divulge the contents of Lord Arnolf's letters."

Stannis: Your vows are stronger than your bladder, it would seem"

I love this one too. How can someone so frequently described as being "humorless," be so darn funny!?

Another great one from ASoS:

At a wedding, thought Davos. As he sat at his slayer's board, a guest beneath his roof. These Freys are cursed. He could smell the burning blood again, and hear the leech hissing and spitting on the brazier's hot coals.

"It was the Lord's wrath that slew him," Ser Axell Florent declared. "It was the hand of R'hIlor!"

"Praise the Lord of Light!" sang out Queen Selyse, a pinched thin hard woman with large ears and a hairy upper lip.

"Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied?" asked Stannis. "This sounds more Walder Frey's handiwork than any god's."

Another great one from ASoS:

At a wedding, thought Davos. As he sat at his slayer's board, a guest beneath his roof. These Freys are cursed. He could smell the burning blood again, and hear the leech hissing and spitting on the brazier's hot coals.

"It was the Lord's wrath that slew him," Ser Axell Florent declared. "It was the hand of R'hIlor!"

"Praise the Lord of Light!" sang out Queen Selyse, a pinched thin hard woman with large ears and a hairy upper lip.

"Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied?" asked Stannis. "This sounds more Walder Frey's handiwork than any god's."

Ooh, I had forgotten this quote... it would help with a certain recurring argument. :D

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them pure cold water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes." Stannis ground his teeth. "If someone said I had magicked myself into a boar to kill Robert, likely they would believe that as well." A Clash of Kings

I'm still reading the same ASoS chapter, and I can't stop laughing! Here's another one!

He ground his teeth. "We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty. Melisandre swears that she has seen me in her flames, facing the dark with Lightbringer raised on high. Lighthringer!" Stannis gave a derisive snort. "It glimmers prettily,

Not Stannis, but Davos and Sallador Saan (still funny):

Old habit made him reach for his luck, but his fingerbones no longer hung about his neck, and he found nothing. "He will not do it," said Davos. "He could not harm his own blood."

"Lord Renly will be glad to hear this."

One in the funny names category:

"And this other man, this Tormund of the many names who eluded us after the battle? Answer me truly."

This Tormund Thunderfist is likely re-forming them even now, and planning some new assault.

More ASoS - agreed, less funny than some other lines:

The sound of Lord Janos Slynt clearing his throat broke the strained silence. "Your Grace, let me say how pleased we are to be summoned here. When I saw your banners from the Wall, I knew the realm was saved. 'There comes a man who neer forgets his duty/ I said to good Ser Alliser. 'A strong man, and

a true king.' May I congratulate you on your victory over the savages? The singers will make much of it, I know - "

"The singers may do as they like," Stannis snapped. "Spare me your fawning, Janos, it will not serve you." He rose to his feet and frowned at them all. "Lady Melisandre tells me that you have not yet chosen a Lord Commander. I am displeased. How much longer must this folly last?"

Did anyone else visualise this literally when reading ASoS?

"I am aware of that. If it happens that Lord Janos here is the best the Night's Watch can offer, I shall grit my teeth and choke him down. It is naught to me which man of you is chosen, so long as you make a choice. We have a war to fight."

---

The king frowned. "Everyone else has seen the thing, why not a blind man?"

Well this was all I could find in ASoS, hope it makes y'all happy :)

The scene he writes letters to the all lords. Ser Jaime Lannister Sisterfucker. :D he is still a knight. I laughed hard in this scene. But i think Renly was better:

Definitely one of the better ones :P I think he is funnier because he is so serious all the time

• 4 weeks later...

The Winds of Winter sample spoiler:

STANNIS: "Who is coming? Bolton?"

THEON: "Lord Ramsay," Theon hissed. "The son, not the father. You must not let him take him. Roose... Roose is safe within the walls of Winterfell with his fat new wife. Ramsay is coming."

STANNIS: "Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard."

THEON: "Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

STANNIS: "He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by."

• 2 weeks later...

They both have kind of a dry, sardonic wit going on. I think Tyrion's is more "out there" because he's a POV character and we can see his thoughts.

For some reason, the Tyrion line that makes me crack up the most every time isn't even a line, it's a thought. Oberyn tells Tyrion that he and Elia were close, much like Jaime and Cersei. Tyrion thinks, Gods I hope not. That's the same sort of humor Stannis uses when he says, "I won't have that abomination here, this isn't King's Landing."

I'm on a re-read and I just finished that chapter and had to LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He is definitely serious with everything he said and that makes it a lot funnier.. anyway if I were in Westeros, I wouldn't see why people would think he's humorless... This thread made me love Stannis more.

Archived