Stannis humor

Season 2 had a few pretty funny Stannis moments, particularly in Episode 8 - his speech about his opinion on cats vs. dogs in regards

to eating animals at Storms End is up there with the funniest Stannis lines from the books IMO.

Season 3 though i don't think he had one funny line, and they had a perfect opportunity to include "weddings have become more perilous than battles". So disappointing.

The lack of Stannis humor and the overall poor writing of Stannis season 3 very clearly show's where D&D are biased against.

Stannis griping about his more famous brother.

The king cut him off. "We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right."

The lack of Stannis humor and the overall poor writing of Stannis season 3 very clearly show's where D&D are biased against.

TV Stannis is definitely less likeable - and funny - than Book Stannis. While this is probably just a reflection of how the writers feel about the character, I wonder if it isn't about subverting more expectations. Ned Stark, the obvious hero, gets beheaded even though the hero is never supposed to die. Then his son, who by the rules of tv and movies must avenge his father, dies. And for good measure, the writers take Jeyne/Talisa and make her infinitely more sympathetic (on paper, anyway) - surely the loyal queen who is pregnant with the next Ned Stark can't be butchered like a hog.

So mmmmmaybe the TV writers are making Stannis less likeable and sympathetic to keep the notorious misdirection going. Danaerys is the obvious "hero" character now for the show, in part because of how Stannis is portrayed. Maybe that's the point. Direct the audience sympathies towards her and keep the characters who will actually come out on top, out of that role as long as possible.

TV Stannis is definitely less likeable - and funny - than Book Stannis. While this is probably just a reflection of how the writers feel about the character, I wonder if it isn't about subverting more expectations. Ned Stark, the obvious hero, gets beheaded even though the hero is never supposed to die. Then his son, who by the rules of tv and movies must avenge his father, dies. And for good measure, the writers take Jeyne/Talisa and make her infinitely more sympathetic (on paper, anyway) - surely the loyal queen who is pregnant with the next Ned Stark can't be butchered like a hog.

So mmmmmaybe the TV writers are making Stannis less likeable and sympathetic to keep the notorious misdirection going. Danaerys is the obvious "hero" character now for the show, in part because of how Stannis is portrayed. Maybe that's the point. Direct the audience sympathies towards her and keep the characters who will actually come out on top, out of that role as long as possible.

Im banking on this as well. Excellent post

Well regarding TV Stannis, I notice he's often the straight man for Davos' deadpan humor. I don't think the writers dislike the character, it's just easier for them to write Stannis that way, e.g.

Stannis: Every man on Storm's End wanted to kiss you that night.

Davos: I was relieved they did not.

Davos: Sallador Saan will join our fleet. 30 ships; his men know how to fight.

Stannis: In my experience pirates prefer fighting unarmed men.

Davos: It does seem the wiser choice.

Stannis: You defend these men who insult you behind your back.

Davos: Well, some are happy to do it to my face.

He's the Jack Dee of Westeros.

Yes! That

I agree that Roose Bolton also has a certain humour in him, and so a conversation between the 2 would be epic. Hopefully I'll get that wish at the beginning of TWOW. Unless Roose escapes...

Stannis: Every man on Storm's End wanted to kiss you that night.

Davos: I was relieved they did not.

That line just came off to me as throwing a bone to Stavos shippers, Davos even did some awkward heavy breathing at the end of his line there lol.

I enjoyed it though, it gives "...my tongue is yours..." a run for its money in the homoeroticism department.

Very good post. I agree that's most likely a motivation but partly also how Stannis character is a little hard to convey without Davos POV thoughts and there isn't a ton of time for character development.

Also,Many people became stannis fans after his journey to the wall anyways so it does fall in line with that some.

I will say this for show Stannis though. We got a glimpse of his direct bad-assery (leading the charge in Blackwater and up the ladders) that wasnt actively shown in the books. That offsets things ever so slightly

Very good post. I agree that's most likely a motivation but partly also how Stannis character is a little hard to convey without Davos POV thoughts and there isn't a ton of time for character development.

Also,Many people became stannis fans after his journey to the wall anyways so it does fall in line with that some.

I will say this for show Stannis though. We got a glimpse of his direct bad-assery (leading the charge in Blackwater and up the ladders) that wasnt actively shown in the books. That offsets things ever so slightly

I think that Show!Stannis with his "Lead from the front" attitude and philosophy was what GRRM envisioned when he said he wished he made Stannis more of a fighter, but I agree with the "notorious misdirection" idea. If Stannis wins, what better way to shock and surprise the fans than to take the character that most show watchers say is ultimately "meh" or "kind of a bad guy" or "Just going to die anyways" and have him win. He's everything a typical throne-winning protagonist isn't. He's not merciful, nor is he exactly charismatic, nor ambitious. He doesn't want to reform the realm, and he isn't above playing dirty when he needs to.

I think that this will be somewhat offset when Stannis goes to the Wall to give Jon Snow a hand though.

OK, I'm gonna to say it officially: after reading all the examples of a supposedly funny Stannis, I'm now one hundred percent convinced he's one of the saddest, least humorous characters in the series. He sold Janos Slynt a classy burn, I give him that, but the rest is mostly just sad. That "good clean water" quote? That's just whining Viserys style (Viserys wasn't funny, either, intentionally or not). Inventing the clever nickname "Lord Too-Fat"? He's fat! moreover, too fat! LMAO... no, seriously not. It's a jerk jock kind of humor, at best.

Your post should have read "I don't really like dry humor, so i don't find Stannis funny". Because that's essentially what it is. Maybe you like more zany, outrageous, physical comedy or. Just realize that the fault lies with you, not the large number of posters who believe the contrary. Either that or you're simply trolling.

Additionally, reading Stannis' quote in a vacuum is different than reading than within the context of the books. It's unexpected, it's unintentional and is often in vast contrast to the tone of the rest of the conversation.

So in other words, don't be a dick.

- Stannis Baratheon, Sunspear Comedy Factory. Circa 293 AL.

Dude you should've been there the night that Oberyn just dropped in, wasn't on the bill or anything. He did that whole bit about the differences between sandy Dornishmen, salty Dornishmen, and stony Dornishmen that you're not even allowed to transmit via raven it's so un-PC. Then he did his Mace Tyrell impression, and his whole extended riff on Targaryen family picnics that just: Oh. My. Gods. He killed it.

Archived