What's the wider purpose of the Martell family? (aDwD spoilers)

DaveSumm

So I'm in the middle of a re-read, currently on A Feast for Crows. I'm trying to convince myself that the series isn't flawed in anyway and has no pointless padding anywhere, and is in fact perfect............cough.........

The most widely cited problems are with A Feast for Crows, and specifically with the newly introduced POV chapters, namely the Iron Island and Martell family chapters. So I'm trying to convince myself that with the benefit of hindsight when the series is all completed, these chapters will be seen to have greater relevance. With the Iron Island chapters, this is easy: we can already see that Victarion's travels are taking him close to Dany and I assume their stories will converge (although I'm really struggling to figure out why we needed several Damphair chapters to start with when the story could surely have been told effectively with a single Victarion arc). With the Martell's, it's less obvious. I actually really like Doran as a character, I think his methodical and reasoned counterpoint to Oberyn works very well. But throughout Feast, as much as I enjoyed the chapters, there wasn't a lot tying them to the main narrative.

I spent most of A Dance with Dragons quite pleased that all the effort I'd put into the Martell chapters of aFfC were paying off: Quentyn's journey toward Dany seemed to provide the relevance we'd be looking for. But then of course, Quentyn had a rather poor attempt at dancing with dragons. So I ask you: what is the wider purpose of the Martell family? What role will they play in future books?

Well

in a Tyrion extract from the winds of winter, he spies Iron Islanders landing on Slaver's bay, so evidently Victarion has found Dany's domain.

And the chapters in a feast for crows were a lead up to that, and likely an insight on what it is to be iron born and all the complications involved in their rule.

As for Dorne, they have a large part in the story ahead, as whoever they follow has one of the most powerful kingdom's behind them as allies.

So it is extremely important who they decide to follow, so the whole Myrcella thing was signifigant, as it shows their potential to make their own rulers.

It also shows the shaky relationships of the Sand Snakes, who will likely have some part in the rising of Dorne, the violent part most likely.

I spent most of A Dance with Dragons quite pleased that all the effort I'd put into the Martell chapters of aFfC were paying off: Quentyn's journey toward Dany seemed to provide the relevance we'd be looking for. But then of course, Quentyn had a rather poor attempt at dancing with dragons. So I ask you: what is the wider purpose of the Martell family? What role will they play in future books?

While it is possible that the Martells have already fulfilled their purpose in Oberyn's role in Tyrion's trial and Quentyn's disastrous dragon-taming (which, itself, fulfilled the seeming plot necessity of freeing and splitting up Rhaegal and Viserion), I imagine they have a further role to play. Their determination to support some Targaryen or another seems to demand a greater involvement in the war for the Iron Throne.

Well

in a Tyrion extract from the winds of winter, he spies Iron Islanders landing on Slaver's bay, so evidently Victarion has found Dany's domain.

And the chapters in a feast for crows were a lead up to that, and likely an insight on what it is to be iron born and all the complications involved in their rule.

Where can I find and read this?

Don't underestimate those Sand Snakes. They are going to fuck up King's Landing, and might take down the Lannisters if they don't get tangled up with the Tyrells. Also, they serve as a foothold for a Targaryen invader. They're there for a reason.

Well

As for Dorne, they have a large part in the story ahead, as whoever they follow has one of the most powerful kingdom's behind them as allies.

So it is extremely important who they decide to follow, so the whole Myrcella thing was signifigant, as it shows their potential to make their own rulers.

It also shows the shaky relationships of the Sand Snakes, who will likely have some part in the rising of Dorne, the violent part most likely.

Couldn't have said that any better.

The Martells have spent the last 20 years storing up their strength, planning their vengeance and nursing their grudges. Now they are ready to strike. They are part of the final whirlwind. A shame that none of them have matched up to Oberyn so far, but then, who the hell could?

Well

does anyone know where i can find this [and any other besides the theon, which I've already read]?

more on topic, does an entire family need a wider purpose, it seems each character has a slightly different purpose. spies in the faith and kings landing, creating conflict between dorne and dany, or whatever. thoguh I'd agree so far that most of it has been a bit disapointing.

Just read the sworn sword and they talk about how dorne and the vale are able to close off their ports during the great spring sickness and not too many people end up dieing, definate parallel to how some final battle could end up, because every other kingdom is basically torn to shreds in their number of warriors, and feast really introduces us to a wide range of houses in the vale and our first real look at dorne

To support Aegon should he and Dany ever come to blows. The fact that Dany turned Quentyn down (even if she had good reasons) and one of her dragons burned him will not make Doran happy

Quentyn's partners in crime were present and still alive. I think Doran will hear a "heroic tale." Can anyone be blamed for his death except Quentyn himself?

To support Aegon should he and Dany ever come to blows. The fact that Dany turned Quentyn down (even if she had good reasons) and one of her dragons burned him will not make Doran happy

The Martells are the trump card for the Targ forces after Dany's dragons. If Dany learns the truth about Aegon then the Martells will be forced to choose between Dany and Aegon, with the lies spread abroad about Dany by the Yunkai'i with Qunetyn's death after Dany refused his proposal may have the Martells lean towards Aegon. It could be the Dance of Dragons Part II with one side having dragons and Unsullied while the other side has Dorne and the Golden Company.

Quentyn's partners in crime were present and still alive. I think Doran will hear a "heroic tale." Can anyone be blamed for his death except Quentyn himself?

No, but Aegon offers marriage to Arianne

I doubt Dany accepts Trystane (Myrcella isn't in Doran's long term plans, or I doubt it) seeing as she turned down Quentyn

And he did send Quentyn off with his grand plans and Dany scuppered them, Aegon may salvage them.

ETA: If Aegon is real then he's Elia's son as well, clear favourite for Doran's support if they don't unite.

The wider purpose of the Martell family is to murder Myrcella and Tommen in revenge for Rhaenys and Baby Aegon.

Myrcella is already dead, a fact concealed by Doran, who has Rosamund impersonating her until he is ready to strike.

The mission of the Sand Snakes, to King's Landing, is to involve the assassination of Tommen.

Obara is off to join forces with Darkstar in preparation for a surprise attack elsewhere. Balon Swann, and his men, are of course to be slaughtered.

I do like the suggestion that Doran will align with Aegon out of revenge for Quentyn. It means that everything so far hasn't been stalling to get us to this point. It might be that not marrying Quentyn is the biggest mistake she's made and costs her Westeros.

Archived