What's the wider purpose of the Martell family? (aDwD spoilers)

DaveSumm

The wider purpose of the Martell family is to murder Myrcella and Tommen in revenge for Rhaenys and Baby Aegon.

Myrcella is already dead, a fact concealed by Doran, who has Rosamund impersonating her until he is ready to strike.

The mission of the Sand Snakes, to King's Landing, is to involve the assassination of Tommen.

Obara is off to join forces with Darkstar in preparation for a surprise attack elsewhere. Balon Swann, and his men, are of course to be slaughtered.

Wow, well done. I don't know how I missed the Rosamund clue. I still say that Balon Swann figures some way out of that scenario though. Or, I at least hope so. He's too cool of a character to just waste.

How? His explicit objection to Arianne's adventure, is that, by bringing harm to Myrcella, she was provoking a war before he was ready.

Is that your favorite word?

Since I suspect Myrcella is dead, that is exactly what I think he is doing.

So it's nothing but a suspicion.

The Martells were angry over the treatment of Elia which is why they were slow in sending reenforcements, (GOT).

With the Martells depending on the Targaryens for their power, which they did, without them, they really are weak, so it behooves them now where there is the chaos to shore up their own strength.

But even so, Doran still plotted for 20 years to put Viserys back on the Throne with Arianne as a consort. So, they support the Targaryens. That doesn't mean their priority is not their own rise. Obviously it is, but I don't think Dorne wants the Iron Throne. Too much trouble. Just like Robb gave it up too. They want power and power they can get through the Targaryens and their dragons.

Are you being unpleasant?

I am being curious.

It is a theory, supported by evidence. I am convinced it is correct. Others are free to disagree.

And I'm not convinced it's correct. And you are free to call me stupid for it.

I am being curious.

In that case: No, it is not my favorite word.

And I'm not convinced it's correct. And you are free to call me stupid for it.

Ummm ... thanks! But I have never even hinted at the slightest desire to do such a thing. Are you SURE you are not being unpleasant?

So I'm in the middle of a re-read, currently on A Feast for Crows. I'm trying to convince myself that the series isn't flawed in anyway and has no pointless padding anywhere, and is in fact perfect............cough.........

:lmao:

Anyhew...

The Genesis of the Martells: A Fable

Once upon a time there were three clichés. They were given different appearances, vaguely different but equally uninteresting backstories, boobs, sassy attitudes, and the requisite fighting skills. And thus, the sansnakes were born.

Once upon a time there was an authorial surrogate. He was brilliant and had a master plan, but, naturally, the world laughed and heaped scorn upon him, since they did not recognize his obvious brilliance. The foolish women around him also tried to act independently, stupidly following their own will and almost leading their country to the brink of chaos and war. Fortunately, he eventually got them all to listen to his naturally superior male wisdom and bow to his patriarchal will in all ways, and the day was saved with his mighty wisdom and greatness. He also sort of had a personality, characterized by laziness, gout, procrastination, and some weird stuff involving watching naked kiddies romp in pools that I’d really rather not look too far into. And thus, was Doran Martell born.

Once upon a time there was a masturbatory fantasy. She had dark eyes, dark hair, and the most intricately described breasts in all of literature. Out of these elements was Arrianne created, and we readers were treated to lines such as the following: "No nipples were so large, so dark, or so responsive as hers." And thus was Arrianne born.

Once upon a time there was a universal fantasy of the perfect woman. This woman was drop dead gorgeous, utterly devoted to her man, selfless, uninterested in money, up for anything the man desired (sexually), and, though primarily attracted to her man, was willing to participate in bi curious romps with other females for her man's delectation at the drop of a hat. Oh, and also she was a peace-loving mother Theresa clone in addition to being a gorgeous, devoted, sensual sex goddess who loved nothing more than sex and her man. These ideals were somehow squeezed into a mistress and the world got yet another delightful revision on the "prostitute with a heart of gold" archetype. And we got a fantasy girlfriend called Ellaria Sand. And thus, Ellaria Sand was born.

Once upon a time there was a plot device. He was given a dull personality, a duller backstory, and some personal characteristics that may have added up to being something revealing a personality, if more than 5 minutes of thoughts had been put into it. He was given an important task (release the dragons) on which the plot of a 900-page novel rested. He was also, unforgivably, inexplicably, given 4 chapters dedicated to his POV. He was then disposed of, quickly. And thus was Quentyn Martell born.

Once upon a time there was a brick wall. It was meant to witness the events in Dorne amongst the royal family, however, it displayed far too much personality. It was then changed into a far less interesting entity-- the captain of the palace guards. And thus was Areo Hootah born.

Moral: clichés, plot devices, and personal sexual fantasies do not make the soundest basis for interesting characterizations.

They will presumably rally to a Targaryen, whether its Aegon or Dany is yet unseen due to the fact they were supposed to arrive together.

Pretty much this.

Although I was annoyed when Quentyn got burned. Felt like I had just wasted a lot of time reading his previous chapters. But it does bring some interesting future issues for Dany.

Archived