Who has the strongest seat?

I was wondering recently, which Great House has the strongest castle? The first place obviously would go to the Eyrie as it's impregnable, as the Arryns are so fond of reminding everyone, but what order would they come in after this? I'd say Storm's End and Winterfell would probably rate high on the list, but so far we don't really know much about Casterly Rock and Highgarden as they're the only two major castles not to have an appearance in the books yet. Does anyone else have any idea of how they would rank?

I think Casterly Rock is one of the stronges castles, on a hill with caves, called inpregnable, and according to the extras on the TV series blue rays with a huge goldmine underneath, Storms End seems pretty strong too

Storms End is specifically called the strongest castle in the realm.

Not the greatest, or largest but durabilitywise its top.

I've always thought that they Eyrie was. Neither have ever been taken with force I think, but technically the Eyrie is unattackable as it's very difficult to get up the mountain normally, even without rocks and burning oil raining down on you.

I've always thought that they Eyrie was. Neither have ever been taken with force I think, but technically the Eyrie is unattackable as it's very difficult to get up the mountain normally, even without rocks and burning oil raining down on you.

But if you are in the castle you are traped, the unattainabillity of the Eyre makes a breackout impossible and as long you the enemie can't get in you can't get out, no hiden ways or caves in the cliff so a smuggler can get you food, if you are alone, you are in a very vournable possition

I would have belived that the Eyrie was the best castle but someone brought up a great point. The Eyrie is impossible to take, but also impossible to survive a blockade, it can be starved out more easily than any other castle as there is only one way in and out. In addition when winter comes everyone in the Eyrie will freeze to death. Storms End can be resupplied from the sea as well as land, but cannot be attacked by sea. With that in mind here is my list

1 Storms End

2 Winterfell

3 Casterly Rock

4 The Eyrie

"The Eyrie is impregnable," Kung Fu Kiddo so kindly reminded Westeros.org for the 449th time.

The Eyrie is strong, but like Pellaeon mentioned, if you're trapped...well, let's hope you have lots of provisions or else you're f*cked.

Casterly Rock and Storm's End seem like the next two strongest castles. We don't have much description of CR, but from what little we know, I have a feeling that it might be a bit "stronger" than Storm's End (I mean, it's a freaking rock).

1. Storm's End (400 feet of curtain wall) and Casterly Rock (because it is a rock)

3. Winterfell (It was captured and raised but by duplicity)

I would discard the Eyrie as one of the strongest castles. Sure, you can't storm it but all you need to do is to seize the Gates of the Moon and let them rot up in the clouds, and wait for their reddition.

Harrenhal is quite strong but not easily defended: it is massive and you'll need an army to keep it rather than a garrison. Not practical.

@Batman...If by chance invaders did pen the Arryns in the Eyrie, that is by no means an impossible situation. They could do the same as the Blackfish did at Riverrun when he was under siege by the Lannisters - take or destroy all food in the Vale, poison wells and wait for the invaders to leave. Years worth of food could be kept there, and supply lines would be in danger through the Mountains of the Moon due to the hill tribes and bannermen loyal to the Arryns.

I guess the weaker castles (to defend) would be Sunspear, Pyke and Highgarden.

Riverrun is interesting when it seems it can take advantage of the triangular natural moat when releasing sluice gates. Also it is now proven that it is possible to flee the castle with the help of darkness.

@The Last Direwolf

So what if they took or destroy all the food and poison wells?

Once The Vale is under control, you need to keep - i'll be generous and say - 100 people with bows, to completely close the castle?

Its not hard to supply food and water for that many.

I would probably say that overall Casterly Rock is the strongest, in terms of size only Harrenhal is bigger/as big IIRC..

It sure sounds impressive and the Lannisters has probably quite a large garrison stationed there.The other contender would be the Eyrie, just because of the sheer inconvience of trying to take it..Storms End sure is strong but is, like the Eyrie, also rather isolated which could be a potential weakness. Winterfell isnt on par with these imo.

I would probably say that overall Casterly Rock is the strongest, in terms of size only Harrenhal is bigger/as big IIRC..

It sure sounds impressive and the Lannisters has probably quite a large garrison stationed there.The other contender would be the Eyrie, just because of the sheer inconvience of trying to take it..Storms End sure is strong but is, like the Eyrie, also rather isolated which could be a potential weakness. Winterfell isnt on par with these imo.

If I recall correctly, Casterly Rock has grottoes which are navigable by boat. It should be possible to invade it by ship and then scale up to the "castle". So whoever controls the "boat parking" could easily capture CL; moreover Lannisters fleet was destroyed by the Greyjoys and hasn't been rebuilt. And this sounds like a very weird castle to live in.

Archived