Who has the strongest seat?

@Batman...If by chance invaders did pen the Arryns in the Eyrie, that is by no means an impossible situation. They could do the same as the Blackfish did at Riverrun when he was under siege by the Lannisters - take or destroy all food in the Vale, poison wells and wait for the invaders to leave. Years worth of food could be kept there, and supply lines would be in danger through the Mountains of the Moon due to the hill tribes and bannermen loyal to the Arryns.

You are wrong, the Eyrie is extremely small... you can keep only very little food there, and only a small number of troops... what do you do with the rest of your army?? to hell with them???? I would completely take out of the equation the Eyrie, as long as you can't keep a significant number of troops inside, with whom you could lead a sortie, and cut communication lines, or whatever... something meaningful ....it can't be considered useful. Of course, the Eyrie has some other castles at the bottom, if you consider them one big fortress... then yes, probably the strongest. Next in line:

Storm's End

Winterfell

Casterly Rock

Riverrun

Pyke

Highgarden (only guessing, I know nothing about them, but they are rich enough to built whatever they want)

Sunspear

This. And you'd have to cut your way through the swaps.

And no one beats the crannogmen.

If nobody beats them, why are they sworn to House Stark?? :) Sometime in their past, the Starks defeated them, otherwise they would be independent.

The Eyrie is useless as a fortress because you don't need to attack it. One have just to attack the Gates of the Moon, starve them and wait until they have no more ravens to send. How will the "garrison" at the Eyrie defends itself and the Vale when it's not been attacked?

I'd say that the Eyrie is probably the hardest to siege, then probably Casterly Rock and Winterfell, Pyke, Storm's End, Riverrun, Dragonstone, with Highgarden and Sunspear last on the list.

I doub Sunspear is the last on the list, the Martels have two weapons a spear and the sun and the sun is deadlyer, if you try to seize Sunspear with your heavy armed men you are doomed, your men die of thirst before you take the castle

I doub Sunspear is the last on the list, the Martels have two weapons a spear and the sun and the sun is deadlyer, if you try to seize Sunspear with your heavy armed men you are doomed, your men die of thirst before you take the castle

It's not really fortified though, that I can see. You're right that the sun and heat would be difficult to contend with, but I can still think of other castles that would give siege forces more fits.

Sunspear would be a nightmare to take, there's a reason that Dorne wasn't conquered.

Harrenhal is the biggest castle yet it was taken, the climate makes Sunspear all the more deadly. Winterfell and the Dreadfort have the same climate benefits but just on the other end of the scale.

I'd rather assault Storms End or Casterly Rock, or just starve out the Eyrie than face assaulting Sunspear in a Dornish climate or assault Winterfell in the winter.

Other than the Eyrie? hmm

I would say Storms End; it has never been taken and Durran (first Storm King) built 6 previous castles only to have each be destroyed, Storms End has stood for thousands of years so he must have done something right on his 7th lol.

Wasn't it Brandon the Builder that gave advice/had a hand in the construction of Storms End?

The Eyire has to be the strongest seat. When one thinks of the Eyrie though they have too look at the whole system instead of just the last castle called the Eyrie. The Eyrie is made of the Eyire, 3 way castles, and also the Gates of the Moon and the Bloody Gate.. The Bloody Gate are said to have stood against dozens of armies. So clearly many of tried to attack the Arryn's there, and failed. I'd also guess that it has been tried to be starved out. The final castle, the Eyrie, might not hold large stores of supplies, and food, but there are 3 other castles which hold supplies, as well as the GotM, where the Arryn's make their seat during winter, and the Bloody Gate. Further, it takes half a day to travel from the Bloody Gate to the Eyire in ideal conditions, which means alot of ground, so I myself wouldn;t be surprised if somewhere between say the Bloody Gate and the Gates of the Moon that there are fields or such to grow food during a siege. Also since the Gates of the Moon are the Arryn's winter seat, I would bet that it a pretty strong seat in it's own right. So well the Eyrie itself might be able to be starved out if easy enough if one controls the 3 way castles, and Bloody Gate, and Gates of the Moon, together I'm sure they have can survive just as long as any of the other castles.

Oh and another thing, is that at time that the Eyrie comes under siege, fighting has clearly taken place in the Vale, and as we know with the Riverlands, warfare often ruins the land. Any attacking army would have to bring in fresh supplies likely from outside the Vale, and this is where the mountain help them. I'm not talking hit and run attacks by the Mountain Clans, or Arryn loyalist, but rather snow, and winter. A besieging army better bring their supplies in before the first snowfall, but cause once winter hits, and the passes begin to fill with snow, no fresh supplies are coming, and then the army better hope they have enough for the winter.

Anyways, my list of castles would go like this with what we know.

1. Eyire

2. Storm's End

3. Winterfell

4. Casterly's Rock

5. Sunspear

6. Riverrun

7. Pyke

8. Highgarden

Was unsure about Sunspear, and Riverrun. I like Riverrun's rivers, but I think the heat beats out that for a siege.

Archived