Dany and Quaithe - Deterioration into Madness?

David C. Hunter

And what dragonsight would that be?? Quaithe constantly tries to make her remember who she is and to show her the way. Dany equates that as -I am the blood of the dragon blah,blah- But,why on earth would a shadowbinder from dragon-stirring Asshai take any heed as to what fate will befall Westeros? Daenerys has bigger than that role and fails to see it.

If anyone,it will be Quaithe who loses the mind :D

In the Dunk & Egg novellas, it is said that Targaryens have "dragon dreams" which are just like Jojen's prophetic green dreams, but they always involve dragons.

She is,look up the moment when Cressen describes her for the first time.

Besides,we have seen her bind the shadow ;)

Funny thought,an annual showbinders convention,Quaithe hitting the bottle and complaining how Mel got everything,even a sane protege :lol:

In the Dunk & Egg novellas, it is said that Targaryens have "dragon dreams" which are just like Jojen's prophetic green dreams, but they always involve dragons.

I read only the first,so I know about Daeron. Anyone else? Daeron,Aenar's daughter...?

There another one in "The Mystery Knight" who has dragon dreams and Aemon in AFFC refers to dragon dreams as a well known condition of the Targaryen family.

I remember well AFfC,Aemon didn't put it in that words...

Nevertheless,Dany's only dream is pre-quaithe,when she sees how to wake a dragon,which could be part of the same fire and blood magic,but not really a prophetic dream.

I remember well AFfC,Aemon didn't put it in that words...

Nevertheless,Dany's only dream is pre-quaithe,when she sees how to wake a dragon,which could be part of the same fire and blood magic,but not really a prophetic dream.

My point was more that the prophet (Quaithe in this case) might be ambiguous because that is how they received the message. Prophecies come in different forms from different sources.

As you have seen, Melisandre's specificity can get her in trouble.

. . . . The myriad of successful prophecies that she has made.

Prophecies? Not a single one. She shows her the way,and sees who is coming to her via glass candle. She may be acting under some prophecy she had read,but so far,nothing she said is a prophecy.

I'm assuming Quaithe really is contacting her via some mystical means, because there's no real reason to think otherwise.

But even if Quaithe's later appearances are just figments of Dany's imagination, I don't see how that makes her crazy. We know there is truth to her prophesies, so there's obviously a mystic element to it all.

Do Jojen's green dreams make him crazy? Do the things Mel sees in her fires make her insane? What of the Starks and their wolf dreams? Every other vision and prophecy in the series is taken at face value, so I don't see why Dany's should be held up as evidence of some Targaryen mental illness.

In the series, plenty of characters have visions and prophetic dreams - although Danerys has more than most.

I think that she's definitely hallucinating during her final chapter in ADWD, although that may be due to physical, rather than mental, illness. Missandei also speaks about her screaming out at night.

I think it's unclear at this stage whether Dany shares the family madness.

Dany is already a bit mad. Every person she meets, she suspects of being the next betrayal (or first, if you think Jorah was not one of them like me). She also had flashes of extreme anger where we know she is very dangerous and cruel. I think with added paranoia, she will become much more like Aerys. I already see a lot of madness hidden in her.

Aren't we all a little bit mad? All that matters is our level of control. Dany happens to at a disadvantage as there is a family history of insanity, and seems more in control of herself than- say -her brother. I think Quaithe is purposely trying to drive Dany insane so she'll become a R'hlor fanatic and listen without question to what Quaithe says is her destiny- and her ambiguous prophecies which are instilling massive paranoia and a highly inflated sense of entitlement seem to pushing her that way. What really frightens me is that we don't know the limit of Quaithe's power. Mel, we've seen her best trick- The Black Flame, he's powerful, but he must have a limit somewhere comparable to Mel, admittedly with more focus and strength to that limit. Quaithe? We really don't know. The only other person known to use a glass candle is Archmaester Marwyn, and he taught MMD everything she knew. The evidence suggests that Quaithe is more powerful than any magic-user we've seen, and the fact we don't know her limit frightens me.

Dany is already a bit mad. Every person she meets, she suspects of being the next betrayal (or first, if you think Jorah was not one of them like me). She also had flashes of extreme anger where we know she is very dangerous and cruel. I think with added paranoia, she will become much more like Aerys. I already see a lot of madness hidden in her.

You are exaggerating...

But even if Quaithe's later appearances are just figments of Dany's imagination, I don't see how that makes her crazy. We know there is truth to her prophesies, so there's obviously a mystic element to it all.

I don't think Quaithe has given any prophecies, just cryptic and not particularly useful bits of advice. She has occasionally told Dany to do certain things or presented her with vague information, but none of this really qualifies as prophecy.

Do Jojen's green dreams make him crazy? Do the things Mel sees in her fires make her insane? What of the Starks and their wolf dreams? Every other vision and prophecy in the series is taken at face value, so I don't see why Dany's should be held up as evidence of some Targaryen mental illness.

I'd say Melisandre's fire reading is troubling, but not indicative of mental illness.

It's not the existence of Dany's dreams that are evidence of mental illness, but the level of obsession and paranoia are worrying. She spends a lot of time agonizing over whether people's actions constitute betrayal, and there are some meaningful parallels between her and Cersei there. She does not go as far down that road as Cersei does, but Dany's actions in Meereen are driven by a volatile combination of temper, paranoia, and inexperience.

You are exaggerating...

Maybe. Maybe not. When somebody pisses her off (sometimes by just damaging her pride) she can be ruthless and sometimes I am scared for her because she does have different sides: a sweet, innocent girl and a protective, short-tempered dragon-queen.

CPT: Perhaps Dany's schizophrenia is kicking in (usually starts up in late teens, early adulthood) and Quaithe is entirely non-existent. Vis could have had it (good age for development in males), Aerys could have had it. The incest with the Targaryens could easily be the thing to bring it out.

Archived