Dany and Quaithe - Deterioration into Madness?

David C. Hunter

• 4 weeks later...

I agree and somehow I'm afraid that Dany will definitely go mad. Her father was a crazy man, her brother as well and she is the product of numerous incests over the generations so I believe the future doesn't look very bright for her.

I have considered that, but I do not think so. I think the things Quaithe has told Dany will drive her into madness though. Or at least I did until the end of ADWD. Now I have no clue what is going to happen with her.

I have no doubt there is a real person named Quaithe and that Dany is going crazy. I just don't know if the two are related at all...:)

She'd have the power to be more helpful if she wanted to be, clearly she's leaving teasers. While it could be for plot purposes I tend to think she's either against Dany or doesn't trust her and wants a sign of good faith. The glass candles is a very good guess as to the how.

Melisandre clearly has the ability to relate her visions to others in plain language without getting fancy and obscure.

I have no doubt there is a real person named Quaithe and that Dany is going crazy. I just don't know if the two are related at all... :)

She'd have the power to be more helpful if she wanted to be, clearly she's leaving teasers. While it could be for plot purposes I tend to think she's either against Dany or doesn't trust her and wants a sign of good faith. The glass candles is a very good guess as to the how.

Melisandre clearly has the ability to relate her visions to others in plain language without getting fancy and obscure.

But the prophecies seem to be from different sources. Mel can see into the flames, but we are not quite sure what fueled the visions in the House of the Undying. Perhaps the shade of the evening only awake Dany's dragonsight (or dragon dreams) much like the weirwood paste awoke Bran's greensight and weir-warging.

And what dragonsight would that be?? Quaithe constantly tries to make her remember who she is and to show her the way. Dany equates that as -I am the blood of the dragon blah,blah- But,why on earth would a shadowbinder from dragon-stirring Asshai take any heed as to what fate will befall Westeros? Daenerys has bigger than that role and fails to see it.

If anyone,it will be Quaithe who loses the mind :D

Also, isn't Aggo or Rakharro with Dany in Qarth the first time she sees Quaithe while the firemage is doing a show and then he tells Dany not to trust shadowspawn who fear to show their faces in sunlight (to which Irri or Jhiqui may have said "It is known" for the 100th time :) )

So she was definitely real and acknowledged then, but my guess is she's using the glass candle to lead Dany at this point. I think it's because she wants the dragons to prosper for some reason, I don't think she has anything bad in store for Dany to be honest.

I have no doubt there is a real person named Quaithe and that Dany is going crazy. I just don't know if the two are related at all... :)

I think we can reliably say that Quaithe is real and that she has been in contact with Dany using the glass candles. Her snapshot of the parties headed toward Dany is accurate as of the beginning of Dance, but proves to be less than helpful as time progresses and the travelers continue on their journeys. Dany may yet experience mental illness, but I don't think that Quaithe is a symptom of it. The paranoia seemingly encouraged by Quaithe's vague words and the visions of the House of the Undying may end up contributing.

As others have said, her motives remain a mystery, but Martin has strongly hinted that we won't see Asshai in the present time, so I doubt Dany will end up going there before leaving for Westeros.

IMO Quaithe is real and has good intentions. She predicted accurately about the Pale Mare, Sun's son, Dark flame etc as mentioned above.

A little bit off topic, what do you guys think Quaithe meant when she met Daenerys at the Dothraki Sea in the end of ADWD? She said:

"Remember who you are, Daenerys. The dragons know. Do you?" or something like that. I find that very intruguing.

IMO Quaithe is real and has good intentions. She predicted accurately about the Pale Mare, Sun's son, Dark flame etc as mentioned above.

So you think she has good intentions, ok. Then why speak in ridiculous riddles? Also I don't think that Quaithe is using the glass candles, wasn't it explained that there had to be a glass candle at both ends and the glass candles are Valyrian not of Assahi. I think that Quaithe is using an hereto unexplained form of magic native to Asshai.

I definitely agree that Dany is going to descend into paranoia and madness the exact same way her father did, I've thought that for a long time now and every indication so far is that it is comming true.

I think she is kinda used to the paranoia factor in her life. First she was affraid of the Usurper's men following her and Viserys around to kill them, then came the Maegi's profecy about the three treasons, then Quaithe... I don't think it will drive her into madness at all, but it might get her to make bad decisions because of trust issues. Her biggest paranoia is that she's been told not to trust people eversince she was born.

So you think she has good intentions, ok. Then why speak in ridiculous riddles? Also I don't think that Quaithe is using the glass candles, wasn't it explained that there had to be a glass candle at both ends and the glass candles are Valyrian not of Assahi. I think that Quaithe is using an hereto unexplained form of magic native to Asshai.

I don't recall anything saying that candles must be in use at both ends of the conversation. One character says that the candles can be used to enter the dreams of others. Other than some physical characteristics and a description of the light they give off, that's all we really know.

There's nothing that says someone who trained in magic in Asshai and who has traveled halfway around the world can't have knowledge of the glass candles and their use. Look at people like Marwyn or Mirri Maz Duur, who have mastered magical techniques from all over the world.

It's unclear whether or not Daenerys is slowly going mad like her father or whether Quaithe is using a glass candle to talk to her at this point.

Both seem equally plausible, but whatever Quaithe is, it/she definitely doesn't have Daenerys best interests at heart.

I didn't say that she is definitely not using the glass candle, I just said that in my opinion she isn't.

Quaithe is a shadowbinder from Asshai, the only shadowbinder we have ever seen, if all she is using is a form of trickery that we were already aware of then why bother introducing her as something else? I think that Quaithe's magic is done through means we do not know of.

Quaithe is obviously using a glass candle. All the hints are there, it's pretty easy to join the dots.

The big problem with this theory though is that it doesn't explain how Quaithe knows what she knows.

Archived