[TWOW Spoiler] Night's King - A Turn From Fire to Ice: The Story of Stannis Baratheon

Babeldygob

Episode 10 of the TV show certainly did nothing to dispel this rumor. In fact, it made it seem rather obvious.

One thing I noticed is, if there is a contaversy in the books the show keeps it alive.

ie We do not see Syrio die, and Joquin seems to word things very strangely

And also we don't see Laywen death eather. I think it is just there way of covering there bases in because, GRRM does not tell themas much as we think

One thing I noticed is, if there is a contaversy in the books the show keeps it alive.

ie We do not see Syrio die, and Joquin seems to word things very strangely

And also we don't see Laywen death eather. I think it is just there way of covering there bases in because, GRRM does not tell themas much as we think

Read the topic on which are discussing please.

• 2 months later...

“There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." - Varys

I'm just starting my Stannis reread, basically I'm reading every chapter that involves Stannis physically.

I want to present a theory that has probably been discussed a few times, but with the Theon chapter I want to go deeper into it.

Stannis started out his journey to the Iron Throne in Dragonstone, the former seat of House Targaryen, much on that island is about Fire and Dragons. He had Melisandre as a Thrall of Fire basically, not really buying into the whole Lord of Light thing, rather using it as a tool for his campaign. He recognizes that Melisandre has (fire)power and uses it for his own goals several times.

Later on, he goes North to help the Wall against the wildlings and establishes his seat in the Nightfort, which is the former seat of the Night's King, a lot of things here have to do with Ice and Coldness. Whereas Dragonstone was a beautiful island with a beautiful carved out castle, he now has a broken down castle, with nothing much going for it except its history.

Dragonstone(Fire) ---> The Nightfort(Ice)

Stannis has a pretty hard time on his campaign. The first thing he does is killing his brother, using Dark Forces powered by Fire. He recognizes the power of fire a lot and uses it to see his future through Melisandre.

After that he loses the battle of the Blackwater because of Wildfire and flees. He returns to Dragonstone and because of this defeat he almost turns to the bad side by planning to burn Edric Storm for power. Davos prevents him from doing that and informs Stannis of the real threat.

Here we see how Stannis, driven by hopelessness, does not refrain from doing bad things for the greater good. We see how for him the end justifies the means if other options run out.

He then goes North to fight the real problem, but Stannis is only convinced because he sees it as a tool to make the realm follow him in order to get the Iron Throne. Despite his victory, Jon Snow is unwilling to let him have the wildlings and become a Stark to help him.

Despite this effort Stannis makes to help the realm, the realm still doesn't recognize him as a true king. This is something he very much despises. He gets more and more driven by his hate for the realm and everyone in it who doesn't recognize him.

When Stannis departs from the Nightfort to get back Deepwood Motte, he basically starts his transition from Fire to Ice. He uses the forces of fire less and less now that Melisandre isn't with him and starts hating on the snows. He recognizes that the cold and the North are powerful things and he has a hard time overcoming them.

Again despite his effort freeing Deepwood Motte from Asha Greyjoy, no Northern Lords except for Alysane openly declare for him. They still don't want to bend the knee even though he's proven again and again that he can handle the realm and that he'd be a good King.

In the Theon chapter, we see Asha making the request of offering Theon to the Old Gods at the Hearttree. As we see in Bran's adventures, offering blood to the Hearttree seems to have been a big thing in the olden days. We also see that Stannis has a plan to use his environment(Ice) to somehow trap his enemies in the battle.

In this chapter we also see that even though Stannis is doing what's good for the North, he learns of an attempt of a Northern Lord trying to turn his cloak. Again he is rewarded with treason and hate for his efforts.

Power of R'hlorr(Fire) ---> Power of the Old Gods(Ice)

Now here's the theory I have:

Stannis will offer Theon to the Hearttree. Something will happen that convinces Stannis of the power of Ice and he will start using that rather than Fire to help him on his campaign. He wins the battle and solves the North's problem with the Boltons.

Now what happens next? If he establishes the North and brings back peace, what will they do? Will they follow him to the South to take back what is rightfully his, now that Winter has come? I think not, I think they will tell Stannis to wait until the Winter is out. They will let him have the Nightfort and let him be to do whatever he wants, because he saved the North basically. They will swear they're his, but they won't do anything for him. There is even a big chance Manderly will crown Rickon King in The North once he gets his hands on him. Another treason. Justin Massey's resolve seems weak and he might even betray Stannis. We saw with Dareon what Braavos might do to you. The gold of the Iron Bank will do Stannis no good if he can't find any sellsword company anymore.

Basically, Stannis is again fucked and has too few forces to do anything. He will sit at the Nightfort and think of ways to help him get The Iron Throne and punish those who defied him and keep defying him. He will try to help out against the Others if they finally show up and he will see their power(Ice).

Now something clicked when I read the chapter where Stannis meets his brother. Stannis' sense of justice dictates that anyone who doesn't bend the knee will be destroyed.

And Stannis will do exactly that. He will bring justice down upon the realm. At some point he will be so bitter, he will break before he bends. Whether this means he should actually die or just be overturned by the events that come to pass, I don't know. After what happened at the Wall he might not have the patience for another choosing, if there even is one. I could see him making himself Lord Commander, as well as King. He might somehow make a pact with the Others, convinced of their power. It might be that all The Others need to start their rampage on humanity is a leader. He will LEAD them down upon the realm, destroying ANYONE who denies him, unwilling to bend the knee. He will be the Night's King come again and lead the attack from The Others upon a treasonous realm. He will bring JUSTICE to those who deserve it. He will use the power of ICE to destroy those who defied him. The treason has gone on for too long and it is time for true justice. He would have finally found the army he needs and has always wanted, devoted to him, without question, without doubt, carrying out his every order, unyielding like he himself is.

Things from the books that support this theory:

There's possible foreshadowing of this in the fact that Shireen has greyscale and the Wildlings are all like WTF THIS KID CARRIES A CURSE. It might be foreshadowing in how Stannis might father other children to an 'Ice woman' that will be 'terrible abominations' like Old Nan says it.

Referring to a dream that Dany had in Storm of Swords:

This sequence is full of parallels between the war Robert fought and the war Dany is about to fight.

Rhaegar[Dany] on his horse[her dragon] fights Robert[stannis] Baratheon and their army of rebels[Others] at the Trident.

Remember that the Usurper doesn't necessarilly indicate Robert. If Dany returns to Westeros, she will see Stannis and his army as The Usurper.

In the House of the undying Dany sees:

This obviously refers to Stannis. I think it is interesting though that the only things that distinguish him are the Red Sword(made by Melisandre), the Blue Eyes(parallel with the Others) and no shadow(Light is needed for shadow). In the darkness, in the night, Night's King Stannis would have a red sword, blue eyes and no shadow.

Not completely in line with my theory but there are several parallels between Melisandre and the Ice Queen of the Night's King another member has already remarked upon;

Appearance:

Melisandre - "Her eyes were red, but her skin was smooth and white ... pale as cream."

Night's King Queen - "...skin as white as the Moon and eye like blue stars."

Skin temperature:

Melisandre - "Jon could feel her heat, even through his wool and boiled leather..."

Night's King Queen - "...her skin was cold as ice..."

Soul Draining Coitus:

Melisandre - "...the king's fires burn so low i dare not draw off any more to make another son."

Night's King Queen - "...when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul..."

Sacrificing:

Melisandre - "Give me the boy for R'hllor."

Night's King Queen - "...he had been sacrificing to the Others..."

The only difference I notice is the flip between Hot/Cold - Red/Blue - Fire/Ice. Both want to sacrifice people. Both drain the soul from people when they have sex. Stannis might reunite with Melisandre when he goes back to The Wall or he might not, but the parallels are striking and maybe Melisandre takes a turn to the Ice too, who knows? Maybe Melisandre and the Night's King Queen are ONE AND THE SAME. People have already remarked upon how she seems to be using a glamour for herself and how she doesn't need food nor sleep.

This is when Davos talks to Stannis about burning Edric Storm and what his kingship might cost him. It seems to me foreshadowing to a point where Stannis might actually get burned and may rise again as something darker, something broken. You could discuss that this is about Viserys, but the crown Viserys got, was much different from a crown of flames, which is very resemblant to Stannis' crown. It might foreshadow how Fire is going to consume Stannis. He would then rise again as Ice.

In Sam's chapter where Aemon dies on the ship, he has one of his last conversations with Sam about Azor Ahai/PtwP and he says:

We also learn from Bran's adventures that there's a gate through The Wall at the Nightfort.

This makes it more difficult for my theory if Stannis plans to use it, but he could become Lord Commander instead of Jon. He has said before that he would appoint one if it took too long. Will he have patience for the voting? Especially now that Black Brothers have killed Jon he might think it's necessary that he takes over before they all become corrupt and treasonous. Maybe he will use the Night's Watch for his own purposes, this would align with the Night's King theory. By doing this, the Night's Watch falls or at least a key point to their existence. The fact they can't take part in squabbles between Houses. Stannis has already tried to convince Jon to fight for him. If he becomes LC, what would stop him from doing just that?

It would be quite ironical to see the Night's Watch align with the Others. The Wall would stand strong no more and Stannis could use the gate. This is all far out there, but knowing GRRM...

So, what do you think? There may be more hints to this than I spelled out here. I feel the Night's King HAS TO come again. There are so much dark stories about it and now that Stannis sits at the Nightfort I don't think anyone else is going to own that castle.

Firstly, this is well thought out unfortunately...

The problem I have with this theory is the others. I'll deal with points as I disagree with them first though... The "Transition" between ice and fire is a pipe dream, it's cold in the north and hot near a volcano...Crazy what a terrible coincidence.

In various POV's it is shown he still stares into the fires and stuff so he still uses R'hloo, the red priest isn't around is all. He uses his southron men whenever he can however they are a dwindling number, he has to rely on Northmen because it

s practical on so many levels.

Also people paint him as a maniac worse than the mad king. He says he'll destroy those who bend the knee...That's an exaggeration. What does he do to all those men who side with his brother? Oh yeah, nothing. He lets them swear fealty and that's, that - not even a punishment. The idea he will seek an ancient evil magic , his sworn nemesis no less, to win the throne is ridiculous given his earlier actions.

They may or may not follow him south, he might not even ask too, he's not an idiot but a pragmatically, effective leader and one of the only threats left against the throne from the start. He could probably cozy up in the north with it's defenses or free the riverlands with the Freys dwindling support. I hardly see how them saying no will drive him to that and I doubt he takes the implications of a hell bent frozen army of demon like creatures to take the human throne stand, it's not even an option in his mind I am pretty sure.

The depths he'd have to go to before I see him even contemplating such a decision would be losing ever man he had in the north, his family and literally having no hope with a bolton force coming to kill him. But then how does one go about "Making a deal with the others" like it's calling up an old friend. A race everyone though made up for thousands of years and he just magically knows how to contact them. What does he offer them? Nothing. Why would they agree ? They wouldn't. They'd probably just kill him. Also I doubt he'd just go to the wall and make himself Lord commander, it makes no sense when compared to his goals.

I seriously doubt he will be a nightsking 2.0, Mel is still all about the heat and he wants to be the dayking :P And the Mel/Stannis relationship might not actually be sex, that was just the HBO version.

Also his daughter having greyscale hardly suggests anything. It comes not from the genes but is a disease acquired AFTER birth. As for curse it's like a mix between leprosy and the plague of course superstitious wildlings will say that, hardly proves anything. Connington has greyscale, maybe he'll be the nights king I mean he came from a hot continent into a colder one and is currently moving north...

Tl;dr : Bran is more likely the Others leader than Stannis is.

• 3 weeks later...

Also people paint him as a maniac worse than the mad king. He says he'll destroy those who bend the knee...That's an exaggeration. What does he do to all those men who side with his brother? Oh yeah, nothing. He lets them swear fealty and that's, that - not even a punishment. The idea he will seek an ancient evil magic , his sworn nemesis no less, to win the throne is ridiculous given his earlier actions.

He does say to Davos that justice will come to them too, once he takes the Iron Throne

I seriously doubt he will be a nightsking 2.0, Mel is still all about the heat and he wants to be the dayking :P And the Mel/Stannis relationship might not actually be sex, that was just the HBO version.

It is strongly suggested in the books, much more than Renly being gay. Melisandre is his true queen like everyone says. The pregnancy and the shadowbabies only make this more likely.

Also his daughter having greyscale hardly suggests anything. It comes not from the genes but is a disease acquired AFTER birth. As for curse it's like a mix between leprosy and the plague of course superstitious wildlings will say that, hardly proves anything. Connington has greyscale, maybe he'll be the nights king I mean he came from a hot continent into a colder one and is currently moving north...

These superstitious wildlings know a thing or two about magic though, whereas you know nothing, Jon Snow.

EDIT: I'm sorry about not responding any more, I thought this topic was dead. I'm glad it isn't.

This makes me wonder if Mel built Stannis up only to gain the loyalty of his followers. If she were able to make a case that the Lord of Light has removed his light from Stannis, the men may turn on Stannis and follow her instead.

Interesting and plausible, I like it. It may not have been her purpose, but it might help her all the same.

EDIT: Please try to keep discussions about Roose Bolton/Aegon outside this thread unless they have a correlation with The Night's King and/or Stannis.

This is an incredibly well thought out theory, but I'm on board with the people who say the Others cannot be controlled (by commanders at least).

Stannis could easily become bitter after another crushing defeat and lose his views of justice, so that's not impossible, but the reason I don't think Stannis is the NK is that Melisandre stated that The Other (who must not be named) had chosen his champion. If that was so, it couldn't be Stannis - who she believed to be AA.

Rather than Stannis, I believe that the Last Greenseer or Bran would control the Others through Skinchanging. (Possibly, not definitely)

However, as I said, it is a fantastic theory and is not completely implausible.

This is an incredibly well thought out theory, but I'm on board with the people who say the Others cannot be controlled (by commanders at least).

Stannis could easily become bitter after another crushing defeat and lose his views of justice, so that's not impossible, but the reason I don't think Stannis is the NK is that Melisandre stated that The Other (who must not be named) had chosen his champion. If that was so, it couldn't be Stannis - who she believed to be AA.

Rather than Stannis, I believe that the Last Greenseer or Bran would control the Others through Skinchanging. (Possibly, not definitely)

However, as I said, it is a fantastic theory and is not completely implausible.

She thought that when she saw an image that seems to imply Bran. Bran may be into some dark corners of the magical realm right now, I don't believe that Bloodraven is working for The Others. He has no reason to do so. It's just anothr one of those things where Melisandre misinterprets the future. Melisandre may have a good heart, but she is making lots of mistakes. I don't know how Bran might use his power, but I very much doubt he would align with the Others.

He does say to Davos that justice will come to them too, once he takes the Iron Throne

It is strongly suggested in the books, much more than Renly being gay. Melisandre is his true queen like everyone says. The pregnancy and the shadowbabies only make this more likely.

These superstitious wildlings know a thing or two about magic though, whereas you know nothing, Jon Snow.

EDIT: I'm sorry about not responding any more, I thought this topic was dead. I'm glad it isn't.

Interesting and plausible, I like it. It may not have been her purpose, but it might help her all the same.

EDIT: Please try to keep discussions about Roose Bolton/Aegon outside this thread unless they have a correlation with The Night's King and/or Stannis.

Hardly, I honestly doubt he will execute an entire 7 kingdoms worth of autocracy because they didn't immeditately side with him...It's rather baseless an accusation until he actually does something - innocent until proven guilty, I say again so far he's only forgiven them.

He probably is banging Mel, don't blame him compared to his wife. Hardly evidence he'll become evil. Especially as her deity is fire, although I conced it is similar to the NK wife sort of parable.

They know *Some* about magic, not everything they say is true though. They also think red hair is lucky and grumpkins are real. They are a pretty superstitious people and Greyscale sufferers are treated exactly like real life medieval lepers. Hardly proves anything that one Wildling disapproves of letting a sufferer of it live.

Also you never answered me; just how would Stannis make this deal like he has them on speed dial? And what would he have to offer to make a deal plausible = Nothing. The others can just kill him and make another whitewalker. It seems a tad impossible for him to establish a line of dialogue with them and then also make a deal, especially as he has almost no knowledge of them.

Hardly, I honestly doubt he will execute an entire 7 kingdoms worth of autocracy because they didn't immeditately side with him...It's rather baseless an accusation until he actually does something - innocent until proven guilty, I say again so far he's only forgiven them.

He probably is banging Mel, don't blame him compared to his wife. Hardly evidence he'll become evil. Especially as her deity is fire, although I conced it is similar to the NK wife sort of parable.

They know *Some* about magic, not everything they say is true though. They also think red hair is lucky and grumpkins are real. They are a pretty superstitious people and Greyscale sufferers are treated exactly like real life medieval lepers. Hardly proves anything that one Wildling disapproves of letting a sufferer of it live.

Also you never answered me; just how would Stannis make this deal like he has them on speed dial? And what would he have to offer to make a deal plausible = Nothing. The others can just kill him and make another whitewalker. It seems a tad impossible for him to establish a line of dialogue with them and then also make a deal, especially as he has almost no knowledge of them.

First, I never claimed that Stannis would kill every person in the realm, or that he would want to. Second, I never claimed the Others want this, nor did anyone else. Sure, the Others seem without mercy, but there could be several reasons for them to attack Night's Watch and Wildlings. Maybe they feel The North is their territory, or maybe they feel that the Night's Watch is keeping them from freedom. Maybe they just want The Iron Throne, who knows?

If Stannis finds himself at a point were he has nothing to lose, he might just feel tempted to use an army of Wights and White Walkers to take over the realm, as long as they do what they're told. How such an opportunity might present itself to Stannis, I cannot say, but we know that Craster has a pact with The Others. We know the previous Night's King had some kind of pact too. Why wouldn't they try to make another pact with someone else?

The thing Stannis might make possible for The Others is making them be able to get through The Wall. In exchange for that, they might help him on his campaign, or they might just use him. I cannot say. Personally I don't see the Others using battering rams and whatever to get through the Wall, because that would prove Bowen Marsh right. No, The Others are going to use either magic or cunning to get through. If they could make the Wall fall, it would have fallen, so I don't believe they're going to do a Horn of Joramun kind of thing.

The only people I can think of now who are capable to make such a deal with The Others are Ramsey Bolton and an extremely lost and hopeless Stannis Baratheon.

Normally I'd say you're right on the Shireen thing. The problem is, we still don't know why she has greyscale, we don't know much about greyscale either way. And then suddenly a big character, I think we can describe Val as being an important character, comes along and says she's carrying a curse. It seems fishy to me, that's all.

I am on board with the general theory. I believe Stannis, who is lost to despair learning he is not the chosen one, (Jon Snow is)is without his slut Mel who will go over to Jon when she realizes he is Azor Reborn. Stannis will fall on his knees in the Haunted Forest and ask why god? why did you bring me here only to spit on me. THEN the others come forward and crown him as the leader of their armies and give him an Ice blade. Then he sets out for revenge against all.

• 2 weeks later...

There are various possibilities as to what mechanism would cement Stannis as the Night's King, if he does end up becoming a new one.

The restoration of the Nightfort as an expedited, brisk speed, seems quite important. Given the numerous negative events which allegedly occurred there, it is perhaps the single most likely location for a potentially definitive transformation of Stannis into a Night's King or Day's King. Perhaps Melisandre, acting either the original Corpse Queen in disguise, or some new kind of being similar to that ancient individual, will lie with Stannis again while within the Night Fort. Recall that the Wall is very enchanted and magically charged, thus it might strengthen Melisandre's magical effect to a qualitative level different from her past activities with Stannis. This might produce some further changes in his mind and body. Given the House of the Undying vision involving the "slayer of lies," it is possible that Stannis will literally cease to cast a shadow at some point in the story.

Another possibility would be that the Others besiege the Wall for a while and somehow Stannis becomes trapped in the Nightfort. Then, something very strange happens when the Others break in or perhaps attempt to communicate with him.

Out of all the past stories involving the Nightfort, the Night's King one has by far the most present parallels and chance of recurring.

I too, am on board with the theory of Stannis becoming the Night King reborn, but it will be without Melisandre.

That's my idea too, she hates the Others too much to turn. But you never know, the balance in their relationship might shift. Until now Stannis has mostly been manipulated by Melisandre. Imagine it the other way around.

That's my idea too, she hates the Others too much to turn. But you never know, the balance in their relationship might shift. Until now Stannis has mostly been manipulated by Melisandre. Imagine it the other way around.

Melisandre has seen Bran and Brynden and interpreted them to be the enemies. Stannis and Melisandre may not directly ally with the Others, but they can come down on the wrong side of things simply by mistaken interpretations.

Firstly, this is well thought out unfortunately...

The problem I have with this theory is the others. I'll deal with points as I disagree with them first though... The "Transition" between ice and fire is a pipe dream, it's cold in the north and hot near a volcano...Crazy what a terrible coincidence.

In various POV's it is shown he still stares into the fires and stuff so he still uses R'hloo, the red priest isn't around is all. He uses his southron men whenever he can however they are a dwindling number, he has to rely on Northmen because it

s practical on so many levels.

They may or may not follow him south, he might not even ask too, he's not an idiot but a pragmatically, effective leader and one of the only threats left against the throne from the start. He could probably cozy up in the north with it's defenses or free the riverlands with the Freys dwindling support. I hardly see how them saying no will drive him to that and I doubt he takes the implications of a hell bent frozen army of demon like creatures to take the human throne stand, it's not even an option in his mind I am pretty sure.

The depths he'd have to go to before I see him even contemplating such a decision would be losing ever man he had in the north, his family and literally having no hope with a bolton force coming to kill him. But then how does one go about "Making a deal with the others" like it's calling up an old friend. A race everyone though made up for thousands of years and he just magically knows how to contact them. What does he offer them? Nothing. Why would they agree ? They wouldn't. They'd probably just kill him. Also I doubt he'd just go to the wall and make himself Lord commander, it makes no sense when compared to his goals.

Tl;dr : Bran is more likely the Others leader than Stannis is.

It is never stated that Mel and Stannis have sex but she does try to have sex with Davos and Jon and her supposed reason is to create more shadow babies.

I think that it is likely that a new version of the Night's King is going to appear. There seems to be a real chance that a human faction is going to open communication lines with the Others and cooperate with them in some fashion in the future (seems to have already happened at certain points in the past and probably with Craster). Apparently the original Night's King, following the will of the Corpse Queen, had some alliance with the Others although the information available at present is vague.

I do not think that the Others will just come against the realm with no object, but utter destruction. It seems like there is a significant amount of information about the Lands of Always Winter and the Others that has not yet been revealed in the story. Some of the texts in the Citadel probably have much more detailed information than the tales that are frequently told in recent times. These documents probably contain narratives that were penned at times much closer to the events involving the Others. Also, information from the Others themselves and from Bran and Blood Raven will probably start appearing in TWoW. We will have to see what that information actually is though.

Perhaps they will be co-opted into the game of thrones itself in some fashion (at least indirectly). It would seem that Azor Ahai reborn (whether there is one or more) and the dragons are considered hostile beings, or at least potential dangers, by the Others.

The only caveat is that if Stannis remains attached to the power of fire and Jon does not become the Night's King then there probably will be a Day's King that parallels the Night's King instead of a Night's King.

There seem to be two main candidates for a new version of the Night King's at the moment:

Stannis (so far the best candidate)

Jon

If Melisandre actually is in league with the Others or is the Corpse Queen in disguise then she may have set up Stannis to be the Night's King who masquerades as the warrior of fire: Azor Ahai reborn. The PoV chapter from Melisandre in ADwD appears to go against this, but it might be possible. It is not necessary that Melisandre be the Corpse Queen though for the Night's King theories.

I think that it is likely that a new version of the Night's King is going to appear. There seems to be a real chance that a human faction is going to open communication lines with the Others and cooperate with them in some fashion in the future (seems to have already happened at certain points in the past and probably with Craster). Apparently the original Night's King, following the will of the Corpse Queen, had some alliance with the Others although the information available at present is vague.

I do not think that the Others will just come against the realm with no object, but utter destruction. It seems like there is a significant amount of information about the Lands of Always Winter and the Others that has not yet been revealed in the story. Some of the texts in the Citadel probably have much more detailed information than the tales that are frequently told in recent times. These documents probably contain narratives that were penned at a times much closer to the events involving the Others that they describe. Also, information from the Others themselves and from Bran and Blood Raven will probably start appearing in TWoW. We will have to see what that information actually is though.

Perhaps they will be co-opted into the game of thrones itself in some fashion (at least indirectly). It would seem that Azor Ahai reborn (whether there is one or more) and the dragons are considered hostile beings, or at least potential dangers, by the Others.

The only caveat is that if Stannis remains attached to the power of fire and Jon does not become the Night's King then there probably will be a Day's King that parallels the Night's King instead of a Night's King.

There seem to be two main candidates for a new version of the Night King's at the moment:

Stannis (so far the best candidate)

Jon

If Melisandre actually is in league with the Others or is the Corpse Queen in disguise then she may have set up Stannis to be the Night's King who masquerades as the warrior of fire: Azor Ahai reborn. The PoV chapter from Melisandre in ADwD appears to go against this, but it might be possible. It is not necessary that Melisandre be the Corpse Queen though for the Night's King theories.

I could potentially agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that during Melissandre's POV she continues to be Mellisandre as we know her. If she was different we should have seen some thoughts that didn't line up.

I could potentially agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that during Melissandre's POV she continues to be Mellisandre as we know her. If she was different we should have seen some thoughts that didn't line up.

Yes, that seems to the major problem with the secret Corpse Queen idea.

Archived