New reader

Cnicole

Newbie Here!

So I was introduced to A game of thrones by the HBO show. I loved the first season and now I am watching the second. I discovered the series a few weeks ago, so I was able to watch the entire season over a few days. Now It's hard for me to wait in between episodes which is why I decided to cave in and read the books. I'm reading the first book and it's great to have a better understanding of the characters, religions and history. I think I'm going to read the first two books and then watch the second season.

Welcome! Stay away from the forums as much as possible, or stay in these still reading forums, you don't want to be spoiled.

I also read the first book after season 1 (which I saw early September), and read book 2, 3, 4 & 5 in the months from September to April (beginning of season 2). I'm glad I read the books first, makes the show better to understand.

Have fun! Any questions? Ask them here.

Yes don't even venture into any of the forums , you'll inadvertently be spoiled. I've just finished the 5 books , started with the first one right after the series got over. I'm surprised how quickly I managed to finish them off. I suppose now there's the long wait . Welcome to the forum!

Welcome....I just finished book#1 and I am reading book #2. I won't finish it until after the finale of season#2. I do post in the non spoiler tv section if you are interested.

It's nice to read some adult fiction again!!

• 4 months later...

Wow it's amazing how you could stop yourself from watching season 2. I discovered the books after discovering the series too but when I finished the first reason, I couldn't help myself but watch the second also, there was no way I would wait hahah

After watching the end of season 2 i ordered the paperback book box set. I am about 50 pages from finishing aGoT and decided to have a look at the blurb of the next book, i dont know what possessed me, but i picked up the book form the wrong end of the box (aDWD) and started reading the blurb. Totally spoiled something for myself... Spoilers Everywhere!

I agree that you should read ACoK before you see the second season. I was very happy that I had read the book before watching the series, you get much different feelings from the book, and even though I love the series, it really cant compare to imagining the world for yourself the first time you go through the books!

Also I avoided any forums, news or videos about ASoIaF or the series mostly for the spoilers but also because its lovely to get your own questions and theories before you read what other people have figured out. Even if you don't believe these theories, the thought of them might change the way you read the books (when it's the first time around). Enjoy! :)

After watching the end of season 2 i ordered the paperback book box set. I am about 50 pages from finishing aGoT and decided to have a look at the blurb of the next book, i dont know what possessed me, but i picked up the book form the wrong end of the box (aDWD) and started reading the blurb. Totally spoiled something for myself... Spoilers Everywhere!

That's why I order the next book after I finished the one I'm reading. I know myself, I know I'd look at the last one :D

Welcome! Stay away from the forums as much as possible, or stay in these still reading forums, you don't want to be spoiled.

I also read the first book after season 1 (which I saw early September), and read book 2, 3, 4 & 5 in the months from September to April (beginning of season 2). I'm glad I read the books first, makes the show better to understand.

Have fun! Any questions? Ask them here.

same here - i started to read the first book after i saw the first season, there was no way i was going to wait 10 months to see what happens in the 2nd season. i read all five books in the next 2-3 months (i have a lot of free time at work :) ).

a friend of mine had been trying to get me to read the books for the last few years but i couldn't bring myself to read them until i saw the show. 6 years ago my college roommate read aFfC in three days, if he wasn't sleeping he was reading it. he even took it to the toilet :)

anyway, after i saw the 1st season i asked my friend what was going to happen next so i spoiled a lot of things for myself

i knew about certain weddings and certain merc parties being hired by certain wannabe monarchs ...

edit: also, this is the first and the last time i'm reading an unfinished book series :bang:

i did the same thing with dune - my gf bought me the last book (chapterhouse dune) instead of the second one, she thought it had a pretty cover. while waiting for the second book i read a few pages from the last one and found out a certain character is still alive when he was supposed to be long dead :bang:

i started reading about a month ago, will be starting aCoK tonight, but i have watched series 1 and 2 :)

same here, I started reading like a month ago too. Almost finished with the first book. I'm really busy with everything, I just can't read that much :S

Oh I've watched both seasons too :)

i did the same thing with dune - my gf bought me the last book (chapterhouse dune) instead of the second one, she thought it had a pretty cover. while waiting for the second book i read a few pages from the last one and found out a certain character is still alive when he was supposed to be long dead :bang:

I'm glad you didn't tell who... Now I need to stop myself for looking who isn't dead........

I borrowed the first book from a friend in July, without knowing the TV show and without the slightest hint of the content of the book beyond the backcover. In fact, my friend bought the book by the cover and hadn't read it when I borrowed it from him.

Now I'm reading A Feast for Crows and looking forward to watch the first season of the show during summer vacations.

Archived