Boarders Writing a Novel, Draft 7

Myrddin

I just finished up the second rewrite of my most promising WIP. I think it's okay, but it's not great, and I'm feeling really frustrated. There was like a 5 minute elation of "Yesssss! Finished!" and then it was all "But so much crap to fix..."

Anyway, that's writing, eh?

It definitely is. :) Congratulations - give yourself a pat on the back, especially as I guess you must have been working on it while doing high-pressure work stuff. I suggest you put it down for a week or two rather than a day. It helps to clear the head.

Chapter 28 still kicking my arse. I'ts pretty much stereotypical horror- bunch of people end up in a house and start disappearing. I really need to plan this chapter out in detail rather than the usual rough idea of what's meant to happen and then wing it.

If they're all in a house, have you tried drawing a floorplan as well as making lists/notes/whatever, to sort out what happens to who when? I find it helps. (That, or building the house in a program like Sims 2. Logan and Eloise's house from RD had corridors that went nowhere and upper storey rooms that dangled over nothing till I worked on it in Sims.)

Got a comic script published in Dark Horse's Once Upon A Time Machine anthology.

Yay! Congrats!

Does anyone know a good critique forum for short stories? Ive just recently sat down to write my first ever non school related fiction, and wanted some people's opinions on my most likely terrible writing.

I second Derfel (or more likely he seconds me... *strokes British sabre ranking*) - come to the writers' board. I owe Derfel several chapters' worth of critiques by now (though I may skip chapter 28 if it's pure horror. Straight up scary stuff is not my cup of tea).

Congrats to those finishing stuff/getting stuff published.

Eloisa, good idea about the sims. The farmhouse in 28 is fairly small, the issue wqs more about how characters died/vanished, mainly outside the house. I'll save the 'big house' horror stuff for another time. Anyway, finally finished 28 last night, its pretty basic but i just wanted the damned thing finished. Tonight i hope to get 29 and 30 done and tomorrow after my backshift ill post chapters 23-28 (maybe to 30 fingers crossed).

Ill definatel use the sims for house plans in the future if i can find the disk.

amazing breakthrough today. started my second novel today. one of those firestorm of ideas as i was running type of deals. the idea is one ive been playing with for a long time and ive been doing major outline and worldbuilding stuff. but i put the first actual words down today.

its a non-magic fantasy world, sorta like GGK, the story centered around 14th-century venice. the major hitch, the emperor of the old empire converted to a psuedo buddhist religion, rather than a monothesitic one.

and the first novel: still querying. frustrating.

Woo! Progress! The demons of chapter 28 now vanquished, i went to my favourite quiet wine bar after work and not only completed chapters 29 and 30, but started 31. Backshift tomorrow so will see about updating the writers forum tomoro after work

Been at my rewrite for about three days and I just can't get motivated. Part of it is that I am very, very happy with the story and think it's some darn fine work, far from perfect but it needs very little heavy lifting, just lots of polish. Part of it is that I just did a relatively vigorous rewrite of SPRING'S TEMPEST and I think I'm just resisting it because of that.

I want to move on to a brand new project titled A TOURNAMENT OF PRINCES that I am very excited about. Last summer I wrote about 90k from June 1 to August. This summer, I want 120k. Buckle in folks, going to be a good time.

I'm hoping to have some news sooner than later on the SEASONS books.

I still haven't been approved to have access to the writers forum yet. Is the admin away? If not I probably missed something lol.

My apologies yes, that was my fault. I do recommend people PM me here as soon as they have applied, so I can deal with it quickly.

Have fun,

Sophie

Just posted another story that I wrote in the past two hours out of boredom. It's really rough, and to be honest I don't know if it even makes sense. But I just want to keep practicing my writing lol.

Unfortunately, a combination of exam pressure, needless planning of other large writing projects and my own inherent laziness have prevented me from writing any more of my WIP this month, which has annoyed me considerably. However it's given me plenty of thinking time to rationalize cultural and social aspects of the world, so I guess that's useful. I've decided an attempt at several short stories set in-world would be a much better idea at the moment considering my time restraints, so I should have something to post by the end of this motnh.

I submitted a short story to a magazine a few months ago and while they said they really liked it and it was a tough decision, they rejected it. That's nothing new. But I've gone back and rewritten part of it (not based on anything the editors said) and I'm ready to send it out again. My question is, should I re-submit it to that mag, explaining the rewrite, or should I look for other markets instead? I've never submitted any story to a mag more than once.

I submitted a short story to a magazine a few months ago and while they said they really liked it and it was a tough decision, they rejected it. That's nothing new. But I've gone back and rewritten part of it (not based on anything the editors said) and I'm ready to send it out again. My question is, should I re-submit it to that mag, explaining the rewrite, or should I look for other markets instead? I've never submitted any story to a mag more than once.

Unless they asked you to resend, don't. If they gave you great feedback, feel free to send them something new. Resubmitting work is a good way to have them block your email address. :)

I've never really explored short story markets, but I hear good things about Ralan.com as a place to submit.

Archived