Advantage of having Valyrian blade?

Batman

How much of an advantage is it to have a valyrian steel sword?

For example Jaime Lannister (two hands) is made to seem like the equal of anyone beside Dayne, Selmy, Blackfyre or Aemon the dragonknight, but he has no valyrian steel sword. Ned Stark is described as a good sword, nothing more by GRRM, yet he holds Ice, a valyrian steel greatsword.

GRRM has said that Dayne would beat Selmy in a fight but only if he held Dawn, a blade comparable to valyrian steel. He also said that if the weapons they held were equal it would be a toss up.

Some people have bitched about the fight in the series where it looked fairly even between Ned and Jaime, but a sword like Ice must give Ned a big edge right?

How much of advantage is it to hold a sword like Ice, Dark sister or Longclaw

If two fighters are of relatively equal level and are fighting on neutral terms, then a Valyrian steel blade most likely grants victory. It is lighter, which means the user would be faster. It is more resistant, and that matters because we've had instances in the series were blades were broken ( Ser Vardis Egen, Beric Dondarrion). And it's sharper, meaning it has a greater chance of getting through armor.

But even a superior blade cannot save an inferior opponent. Jon Snow is pretty good and has a great sword, but he would still lose against the best swordsmen in the series.

As for the TV show, Ned didn't wield Ice against Jaime. Ice is a greatsword ( two-handed sword), in the fight Ned had a regular longsword.

Well simply put, they're just good swords. They have the same advantages any good sword provides. They're lighter than a castle-forged sword, have a stronger/sharper edge, better balance, but this doesn't make you automatically a betterswordsman, or allow you to defeat superior opponents just because you have one.

As for Barristan and Dayne; I feel Dawn was different than other valyrian swords, and that Dayne, being The Sword of the Morning, had a certain connection to it which most other wielders of valyrian blades don't have. You have be skilled enough to wield Dawn after all, you don't just get it.

Yeah I think the Valyrian weapons can give you an edge in a close fight but thats it, if you are a bad swordsman you still probably wouldnt stand much of a chance against a superior opponent armed with a conventional sword..

I think the resistance (?) aspect is an important one, IE that the sword wont break and is extremely durable. Given how knights and others fight in Westeros this is probably something that can be descisive. I think the tale about Red Rain is telling IE that an Ironborn using a wooden cudgel and his wits took Red Rain from an heavily armored knight..

As for the TV show, Ned didn't wield Ice against Jaime. Ice is a greatsword ( two-handed sword), in the fight Ned had a regular longsword.

I am aware of that, it was just the best example I could think of. Jaime is great, Ned is good, Ned has a great sword. Darkstar seems to have higher regard for Dawn than he does Arthur Dayne. He is an asshole and wrong but it says something of the regard that is had for these type of swords.

I'm not aware of one. They might be sharper, of better quality and/or easier to maintain, but a lousy swordsman isn't going to become a great one just because he has a Valyrian blade. Likewise, a great swordsman is still great without a Valyrian sword. I think they're mostly status symbols, and only then because of their scarcity.

Which is why the bitching about how unfair it is for Jon to be given Longclaw is so baffling.

I wonder about Randyll Tarly? Many here on this board have a high opinion of him as a fighter, the only reason for this that I can see is that he holds a Valyrian blade. Besides that we dont know anything about how good he is. In that case, for example, I think his sword has given him an undeserved reputation. He is surely one of the better commanders in Westeros but thats another thing..

How much of an advantage is it to have a valyrian steel sword?

The best modern analogy I can come up with is cycling. There is a world of difference between how titanium framed bike handles versus a chomoly frame. Titanium is much lighter and more expensive. While having a lighter frame won't suddenly turn you into Lance Armstrong, it will give you an advantage over someone of equal skill but a lessor frame.

Specifically speaking about Valyrian steel, it is both lighter and stronger than castle forged steel, and doesn't need sharpening. This is why families can hand down a valyrian steel sword for generations, while the lifespan of a regular sword is mahaps a generation or two. With it being lighter, it is much easier to handle. For example, Longclaw, a bastard sword of valyrian steel, handles as easily as a one-handed sword of castle forged steel. Jon noticed how much he missed Longclaw when sparring with Mance Rayder outside Castle Black.

Aren't Valyrian blades really light and the sharpest weapons in Westeros?

Since every little blow counts, if a normal sword, a normal good sword that is, would hit again and again on a shoulder pad for example, it would maybe take five good hits. But if you'd use a Valyrian blade, then I guess it would take less hits, since it's way sharper and doesn't require as much effort to swing.

Which is why the bitching about how unfair it is for Jon to be given Longclaw is so baffling.

exactly. Mormont has no heir now that Jorah is exiled so unless he was going to give it to Dacey, Jon makes sense (seeing as how he had saved his life.)

Valyrian Steel is lighter (meaning faster) & sharper (meaning more deadly), but that just makes it a better sword. It increases a fighters ability in those two aspects, but it wouldnt make some like Samwell on par with Jon.

I wonder about Randyll Tarly? Many here on this board have a high opinion of him as a fighter, the only reason for this that I can see is that he holds a Valyrian blade. Besides that we dont know anything about how good he is. In that case, for example, I think his sword has given him an undeserved reputation. He is surely one of the better commanders in Westeros but thats another thing..

I don't recall anything describing Randyll Tarly as a great fighter, but it's pretty clear he's an excellent commander, kind of like Ned Stark.

Valyrian steel has its advantages in a 1-on-1 duel, yes, but in a battle, against armored opponents, not so much. Since it is not as heavy it is harder to make a concussion with it, which is a pretty big disadvantage.

There's another advantage not yet discussed here (and perhaps why Jonny got Longclaw in the first place). Valyrian steel can kill...the Others.

At least that's what I remember from the books.

It is thought that Valyrian steel is the dragonsteel mentioned in the old tomes Sam read, but it isn't known for certain.

What AvengerofWinterfell said

Was it Brienne somebody referred to when they said she was faster than I remember, to which somebody possibly Tarly said that was the Valyrian steel you idiot. or something to that end

I dont think Ned went about KL with Ice either, it was more a ceremonial sword in my mind for beheading or proper battle/war not an everyday weapon.

Valyrian steel is definitely an advantage... but if you're a bad swordsman, it's not really going to save you from a good one.

I think given the style of fighting in Westeros, it's also true that its value is augmented: Valyrian steel is likelier to pierce plate than even the best castle-forged sword, and so a style of fighting that lets you depend on your armor to protect you (consider how Barristan fought against Khrazz) is going to increase the odds that you're going to get wounded greatly.

I don't personally believe there's anything especially magical about Dawn's properties as a fighting weapon at present (as compared to Valyrian forged steel -- I'm sure it shares those qualities of supernatural sharpness and strength), so I don't think that George would have given a different answer if he was asked how Dayne would do with Heartsbane or Ice in his hands instead -- Valyrian steel is just that dangerous. Consider the Little Lion.

Definitely the best sword you can get, lighter and more durable. I agree that they are a status symbol as we see how much Tywin would have liked to have one in the family. He got his hands on ice and turned it into two swords, oathkeeper for Jaime and one for Joffrey cant remember its name.

I don't think that a Valyrian blade in just anybody's hands makes a difference, only in the hands of a skilled fighter. First of all, a Valyrian blade is lighter and more durable, as well as sharper and keeps its edge better. All things being equal, I'd rather wield a Valyrian blade than not have one. Obviously, Podrick having a Valyrian isn't going to help him that much against the Hound, but fighting somebody of roughly equal skill might make make the difference, along with a million other factors.

A Valyrian blade also has a greater chance of penetrating armor than a regular sword, that's just fact, since it's sharper. Also, the blade being lighter would make your parries and attacks that much quicker. In a prolonged case of single combat or on a battlefield, for stamina purposes it would be much better and less tiring on the user. Let's say a regular sword weighs 25 lbs, and a Valyrian weighs maybe about 15 lbs, that's a big difference in terms of fatigue over time.

There is also the intimidation factor and the confidence it brings. A two-handed Jaime isn't going to give a mummer's fart about his opponent wielding a superior blade, but on the battlefield I can see it making a difference with your average rank and file soldiers. Daemon Blackfyre obviously makes for an intimidating figure in combat, but wielding his namesake makes him that much better. There is also the status that having a House Blade brings to a family. It was also pointed out that it always bothered Tywin that the Lannister's had lost their sword, and that a Lord of a house would be more apt to give up his daughters than his family blade.

GRRM himself said that Dayne would beat Selmy if he was wielding Dawn, and a toss-up if not. While Dawn is not Valyrian in nature, it probably pretty much shares the same properties of a Valyrian blade. (Actually, I don't know if it's lighter than average steel). Hence, Dayne wielding a superior blade gives him the edge over another equally skilled opponent. Give me Valyrian steel any day of the week, unless you are giving me Dawn. I'll take it, as long as I'm not getting it the way that the Smiling Knight did.

Archived