Where are the great knights?

Batman

Correct me if im wrong but didnt Loras take Dragonstone even though he got injured. And he also killed those two rainbow guards when he found out Renly died. Plus its the Mountain other than the Red Viper and Sandor who really wants to fight him.

Wasn't the taking of dragonstone a pyrrhic victory? many of his own were slaughted tand the plunder: he couldn't find any

I think Loras is a bigger shame to white cloak than jaime

Who are the very best of the knights who remain in Westeros? I mean “best” in the way that Ser Arthur Dayne and the rest of Aerys’s Kingsguard wer true knights. If you could assemble seven knights to serve as the Iron Throne’s Kingsguard at the end of the series, who would these be?

Yes, I know most of those one might wish to name will end up perishing ere the end, but if they lived anyway. Who would these magnificent seven whitecloaks be? And who would be their captain, their Lord Commander?

• Certainly Ser Barristan, Ser Jaime, and Ser Loras are true to the knightly graces, but they’re already present members. Who else then?
  • I believe that Ser Brienne of Tarth is a knight true and through, and that she deserves the posting to complete her journey to honor her honorable ancestor, the quondam Lord Commander, Ser Duncan of Pennytree, he who was by foul perfidy slain at Summerhall with his king.
  • What about the Darkstar, Ser Gerold Dayne? Would he, like his uncle, eventually come to wield Dawn as the Sword of the Morning and also like Ser Arthur become renowned as the deadliest of all the Kingsguard?
  • Who else could serve? Who else should serve? Young Bran dreamt ever and anon of becoming a knight of the Kingsguard, but I fear it is not to be unless perchance by virtue of Bran’s manning the future Ser Hodor of Winterfell.
  • I believe Ser Davos Seaworth has the requisite moral framework, but after his labours and loss, I believe that our Lord of the Rainwood and Admiral of the Narrow Sea justly deserves to retire with his family.
  • I don’t know what I think of Ser Rolly Duckfield of Prince Aegon’s current Kingsguard. I do not wish to speak of ill of him, for he would die for his prince, which is all that is needed. But I do not have as much trust in his knightly-ness, or however you’re supposed to call that qualification.
  • What of Ser Gerris Drinkwater? Might he serve? Was he the thick one or the perspicacious one of the two Dornishmen who arrived with Prince Frog?
  • I do not think Ser Jorah Mormont is destined for a white cloak. He may yet redeem himself in his Queen’s eyes, but I think he has another destiny, perhaps at the Wall.
  • Hm... Tommen, perhaps? Like Bran, little Tommy Hill has likewise always dreamt of like becoming a knight. Might he become a good one someday? He reveres Ser Loras and strives to emulate him. Yes of course he’s too young, but I can see him being renamed someday Ser Tommen Lannister Baratheon by a merciful monarch and then taking the white.

Yes, fucking your sister and flinging children off of towers certainly makes a splendid knight.

KingWithTheSword, you do bring up some good points about the Hound and his actions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he laugh about killing Mycah, the butchers boy? The Hound is one of my favorite characters, and as of GoT I would place him as one of the top five swords in Westeros. I truly do hope we have not seen the last of Sandor, but I do believe we have seen the last of the Hound. Also, am I the only one who can't separate a lot of things from the book and the show? The Hound falls into that category where sometimes I have to double check as to what happened in what medium.

• 2 months later...

Archived