Tyrek Lannister

Monty501

Tyrek Lannister went missing during the King's Landing riots and couldn't be found after massive amounts of Lannister searching. In AFFC Jaime suspects that Varys may have secretly taken him prisoner. If so could Varys give him to Aegon Targaryen as a possible hostage? Or does he have another use for him?

Any thoughts on this?

I definitely think this is significant or they wouldn't keep bringing it up. it's actually been driving me crazy! I can't remember whether it was suggested in the book or somewhere else that I was reading about the book that perhaps it was important that he was also a squire and witness to the Robert/wine/boar thing? Perhaps he's seen as more flippable than Lancel? The continuous mentions of Barristan bore fruit (in fact they were why I found that bit painfully unsurprising) and I think this will as well.

Oh my gosh, the Barristan thing drove me insane. I knew who he was the moment he was there and the 800 page or so wait into the next book for his identity to come out was one of the most aggravating things I have ever experienced. I was spoiled for a lot of stuff in this series (not that) so I will never know whether I would have figured them out or not, but I was stunned by the identity of Jon Arryn's poisoner and who was responsible for the attack on Bran (although I sort of think the latter was a retcon) and a few other things, but come on - Arstan? ARSTAN? After characters kept commenting on how they didn't know where he was, and he hadn't turned up at Renly's like they expected, and that they should watch out and see if he turned up near Stannis, but we knew he wasn't at Stannis's. It wasn't even just the ridiculousness of the name Arstan for Barristan, I was literally WAITING for him to show up at Dany's.

It's one of the mysteries of the series. The fact that Tyrek is missing, and the fact that no one can find him is brought up too often to be a nothing. I sometimes wonder if he is being used to pose as someone else. Whom I don't know.

Varys will take down all the Lannister until Tyrek is the heir to the Iron Throne, he puts him there and makes him bend the knee to Aegon.

Varys will take down all the Lannister until Tyrek is the heir to the Iron Throne, he puts him there and makes him bend the knee to Aegon.

I know you're being facetious, but the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. The heir would come through the Baratheon line.

He'd be about 15/16.

Edit: just found this http://web.archive.o...pts/031899.html

During the interview George says that we will see Tyrek again, though he might have changed his plans.

No he says we'll find out what happen to him

RMBoye Simple question, really — will we ever find out what happened to the "Wetnurse", Tyriek?

GRRM Yes, you will. I try not to leave too many loose ends. But sometimes you need to wait.

which is slightly different. We might find out that he was stewed down to make many a bowl of Brown, or he might have been put by by Varys as a potential heir to Casterly Rock. I don't think there's any point in keeping him around to give evidence about the death of King Bob - who cares anymore apart from Stannis, that was a whole two kings ago.

ETA - there's enough to hang Cersei as it is even without dragging Regicide into it.

I know you're being facetious, but the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. The heir would come through the Baratheon line.

Actually I was kinda serious.

I don't think Varys had anything do to do with it, I reckon it was Tyrek's own decision. Think about it, he was witness to Robert's death, and it was only a matter of time before someone suggested he had something to do with it, rumours like that pop up all the time for no reason, sometimes with disastrous outcomes. He had been married to a baby girl of one and ridaculed for it mercilessly, if you were him how could you not be pissed off by that arrangement? And we know little of him, there could have been a lot of more reasons for him to be angry at many things- which could have led him to flee King's Landing on a sudden thought and rare oppertunity of escape in pursuit of his own path. What that path is I don't know, since we really know very little about him, but he could change sides, going North or Stannis or Team Daenerys, or even the Brotherhood without Banners, there are a dozen of places he could go and have some impact in being there by simply bearing the name Lannister.

That's an interesting idea - that he decided to take the opportunity to disappear. I like that. I'm still wondering how Edric Dayne ended up with the BWB, maybe those two can meet up and become buddies, traveling away from their families and the game of thrones!

I've always imagined he was fated to be the puppet ruler of the Westerlands with the marionette strings stretching to King's Landing.

EDIT: You know, after Cersei, Tommen, Myrcella, Jaime, Genna, Daven, etc. all die.

Archived