Had Tyrion Won His Trial (Oberyn lived)...

Ramsay Gimp

How would the Court have reacted?

I can only imagine Cersei's fury. I wouldn't put it past her, in fact, to just order the Kingsguard to kill Tryion right then and there. This would provoke Oberyn to keep fighting in Tyrion's defense. But Tywin probably wouldn't let it go that far....

But in the long term, what might have happened? Would Tyrion have gone to Dorne with Oberyn and championed Myrcella's cause? Would Tywin be willing to accept him back on the council in KL?

I dont think Tyrion would have been allowed to go free. He killed the king. A child king. And crazy Cersei's son. He's doomed.

Either he would have been secretly poisoned or assassinated in his cell, or he's off to the wall castrated and disowned.

If in the unlikely event that he was pardoned, he would certainly have to flee King's Landing.

And yes, I reckon Dorne to help Arianne's plan with Myrcellla, or even off to Essos to see the dragons, since he's always loved dragons.

I dont think Tyrion would have been allowed to go free. He killed the king. A child king. And crazy Cersei's son. He's doomed.

Either he would have been secretly poisoned or assassinated in his cell, or he's off to the wall castrated and disowned.

If in the unlikely event that he was pardoned, he would certainly have to flee King's Landing.

And yes, I reckon Dorne to help Arianne's plan with Myrcellla, or even off to Essos to see the dragons, since he's always loved dragons.

No "pardon" would have been necessary. If he won the trial by combat, he is officially innocent. I can see Cersei ignoring the rules, but not Tywin. Especially since that would only infuriate the Dornish in King's Landing, whose Prince had just risked his neck defending Tyrion

Tyrion would be free to go and I think he would leave KL immediately, maybe to Dorne or maybe to find Sansa, Cersei would be furious. If he has the oppertunity to talk to Jaime, he might first kill, "interrogate" Tywin

Clearly, Cercei truly believes Tyrion did it (that is clear right?). Does Tywin? I was never sure. Was it only one of them who was responsible for some of the lies at the trial, especially Shae's, or both? If it was Cercei, I believe she did it because she thought he was guilty and wanted him found guilty. What was Tywin's motivation?

Clearly, Cercei truly believes Tyrion did it (that is clear right?). Does Tywin? I was never sure. Was it only one of them who was responsible for some of the lies at the trial, especially Shae's, or both? If it was Cercei, I believe she did it because she thought he was guilty and wanted him found guilty. What was Tywin's motivation?

^I think Tywin just wanted a swift conclusion to the whole thing. He wasn't the one pushing false testimony though

Oberyn didn't care at all about Tyrion's guilt or innocence-- he cared about Tywin's. He was there to beat a confession out of the Mountain in front of the whole Court. First was what he did to Elia and next would be who ordered it. So if Oberyn won the Mountain would have confessed to Tywin ordering him to brutally rape and murder Elia in front of all those people. At that point Tyrion would be a relatively small concern.

Nope if he won his innocence would have been proven and Cersei would be powerless to keep him in custody or to order his death.

Oberyn didn't care at all about Tyrion's guilt or innocence-- he cared about Tywin's. He was there to beat a confession out of the Mountain in front of the whole Court. First was what he did to Elia and next would be who ordered it. So if Oberyn won the Mountain would have confessed to Tywin ordering him to brutally rape and murder Elia in front of all those people. At that point Tyrion would be a relatively small concern.

Except that Tyrion specifically told Oberyn that Tywin had not ordered the deaths of the children and we know that the rape and killing of Elia was done of the Mountain's own accord.

Except that Tyrion specifically told Oberyn that Tywin had not ordered the deaths of the children and we know that the rape and killing of Elia was done of the Mountain's own accord.

It is not known. Sure Tywin said it. Tywin also told Tyrion he could have Winterfell and the North if he married Sansa. Problem with that is he already planned the Red Wedding and promised Roose Bolton Lord Paramount of the North and promised Winterfell along with fake Arya to Ramsay Psycho. He knew Tyrion would get neither Winterfell or the North when he said it.

Tywin lied. Do you think if Tywin wanted a 4 year old girl neatly smothered by a pillow and some guy stabbed her 50 times with a long sword because she was supposedly still screaming at stab 49 that guy would still be breathing? Yet somehow Amory Lorch never received one of Tywin's infamous "harsh lessons" and still ranked high in his service. Tywin's reason about coming late and proving loyalty make perfect sense but his denials about ordering it do not.

It is not known. Sure Tywin said it. Tywin also told Tyrion he could have Winterfell and the North if he married Sansa. Problem with that is he already planned the Red Wedding and promised Roose Bolton Lord Paramount of the North and promised Winterfell along with fake Arya to Ramsay Psycho. He knew Tyrion would get neither Winterfell or the North when he said it.

Ramsay wouldn't have a claim to Winterfell if Sansa had a child with Tyrion, this child would have a better claim and Tyrion would get Winterfell and Ramsay would be screw

Had Oberyn won the duel, Tyrion would have been innocent before the eyes of Gods and Men.

It would have been very interesting. I bet Tyrion and Doran could have some very good discussions. He is a Lannister, though. Not sure how the Dornishmen would have liked that. I think the plan to get Quentyn to Meereen had already been set up, and they would be on their way already.

Cersei would never have dared to make the Kingsguard attack Tyrion, most likely Tywin had ordered them to take commands from him only, not the Queen Regent.

Oberyn would have stayed in King's Landing, and taken on the seat on the Small Council, that was why he was there in the first place.

Ramsay wouldn't have a claim to Winterfell if Sansa had a child with Tyrion, this child would have a better claim and Tyrion would get Winterfell and Ramsay would be screw

And Tyrion could take up his complaint with the Lord Paramont of the North, Roose Bolton. Good luck. I'm sure the northmen would view Tyrion as such a worthy husband for Ned Stark's daughter that they would rise up for him-- just as sure as Tywin was. Tyrion's marriage to Sansa was Tywin's final humiliation of the Starks after arranging for the total destruction of House Stark. He wanted to see that Sandor's little bird hummed The Rains of Castamere for everyone to hear.

And Tyrion could take up his complaint with the Lord Paramont of the North, Roose Bolton. Good luck. I'm sure the northmen would view Tyrion as such a worthy husband for Ned Stark's daughter that they would rise up for him-- just as sure as Tywin was. Tyrion's marriage to Sansa was Tywin's final humiliation of the Starks after arranging for the total destruction of House Stark. He wanted to see that Sandor's little bird hummed The Rains of Castamere for everyone to hear.

So a child with the name of a Lannister get humiliated by a Bolton and his claim to Winterfell refuse. Tywin wouldn't let this happend, I think he installed Bolton only for a limited time and plan to take his rights away as soon as he cam install a Lannister in the north

So a child with the name of a Lannister get humiliated by a Bolton and his claim to Winterfell refuse. Tywin wouldn't let this happend, I think he install Bolton only for a limited time and plan to take his rights away as sone as he cam install a Lannister in the north

Quite. Tywin is merely using Bolton the way he is using Walder Frey. I believe he is quite sincere in his desire to see his grandson by Tyrion and Sansa as Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell. Tywin's use for Bolton beyond the Red Wedding is to have him expend himself battling the Ironborn and antagonising Stark bannermen before Tyrion turns up with Sansa and Ned's granddaughter. We know how loyal the northern lords are to the Starks - it's the only thing keeping even some of them toeing the line to Roose Bolton. And unlike Roose and Ramsay Tywin and Tyrion actually have a real Stark.

Cersei will never believe anything other than Tyrion's guilt. The valonqhar prophecy and her belief that Tyrion is her nemesis are too deep rooted in her mind.

Mace most definitely won't be happy - either becuase all the Tyrell's know the truth of The Queen of Thorns' guilt and will be anxious that with their scapegoat exhonerated people will ask questoins that will lead back to them or becuase he has been persuaded of Tyrions's guilt and the danger this put Margaery in. Either way he won't like it.

This will make the Court a very unpleasant place for Tyrion but having been found innocent in the eyes of Gods and Men he is a free man. He could go to Dorne and conspire against his sister and his father but I think it more likely that his anger and bile will reside and he will avoid making any more trouble for himself.

Tywin is key. I believe he will uphold the verdict but with both Cersei and Mace so hostile he will pack Tyrion off to Casterley Rock to keep him out of sight and mind.

Oberyn alive is more of a problem. He will take his council seat and he will push for more than Gregor's head. He has no evidence against Tywin whatsoever so it couold get very interesting. Another poisoning could be on the cards and if he was prepared to fight Gregor in single combat would he really baulk at the prospect of another duel? He is there for vengeance as much as justice.

It is not known. Sure Tywin said it. Tywin also told Tyrion he could have Winterfell and the North if he married Sansa. Problem with that is he already planned the Red Wedding and promised Roose Bolton Lord Paramount of the North and promised Winterfell along with fake Arya to Ramsay Psycho. He knew Tyrion would get neither Winterfell or the North when he said it. Tywin lied. Do you think if Tywin wanted a 4 year old girl neatly smothered by a pillow and some guy stabbed her 50 times with a long sword because she was supposedly still screaming at stab 49 that guy would still be breathing? Yet somehow Amory Lorch never received one of Tywin's infamous "harsh lessons" and still ranked high in his service. Tywin's reason about coming late and proving loyalty make perfect sense but his denials about ordering it do not.

You believe Tywin ordered Elia to be raped and murdered? For what possible reason would he do that? And he didn't oder Lorch to smother Rhaenys. He just ordered him to kill her, and figured Lorch would be "sensible" and do it quick and neatly. He didn't yet know what kind of men gregor or lorch were

Sorry but that's just stupid. Gregor doesn't need orders to rape - it's his favorite hobby.

Archived