Why do people hate Dany?

Dragonstar

Just rereading the Dany chapter in aSoS where Dany strikes down the slavers of Astopor and frees the Unsullied. Rousing stuff, especially as a female reader, newer to the fantasy genre.

Her progress in aDwD is less heroic. Hell it isn't even progress really. I understand being frustrated with her. But I don't understand the Dany haterade that sometimes flows on this board.

She's teaching herself and learning as much as she can in circumstances that she was never expected to participate in, much less succeed in. Similar to Arya . Sure she makes mistakes, but shes a hormonal teenager after all. So why the hate?

I think it's just these forums. I've tried searching elsewhere to find similar hatred, and it seems everywhere else I can find at least, people generally love her or at least like her just fine.

My personal pet theory is that all of her detractors have gathered here (like attracts like) to form a vocal minority. Could be wrong, but that's my conclusion so far.

Just rereading the Dany chapter in aSoS where Dany strikes down the slavers of Astopor and frees the Unsullied. Rousing stuff, especially as a female reader, newer to the fantasy genre.

Her progress in aDwD is less heroic. Hell it isn't even progress really. I understand being frustrated with her. But I don't understand the Dany haterade that sometimes flows on this board.

She's teaching herself and learning as much as she can in circumstances that she was never expected to participate in, much less succeed in. Similar to Arya . Sure she makes mistakes, but shes a hormonal teenager after all. So why the hate?

If you're young, or less experienced in politics or such, you might not be struck by it at first. Just keep reading stuff and you'll catch up!

The main reason people do not like her is she has a very bad sense of justice. She has the old eye for an eye style that is not real law, but it's just the whim of a tyrant. Especially when someone has mood swings, such as her, and her "justice" can be much harder when she breaks into a fury. She also has a feeling of grandure of herself, believing she is entitled to greatness without first having to earn it - that people ought simply bow to her because she is a Targ, Blood of the Donkey, so on.

She has made a lot of poor choices. Behaved like a cyclops. Failed to understand and respect the culture and reality of the world and Slavers Bay. Many, many things.

So yes, she is developing as a character. And what's the body count on her development so far?

Sorry, I forget that topics are never brought up but the once here...

Because of course the Dany hate thread started in 2007 covers all bases, then and now. I stand corrected. I will hereby post only things that have never been seen on this board before.

She has made a lot of poor choices. Behaved like a cyclops. Failed to understand and respect the culture and reality of the world and Slavers Bay. Many, many things.

Screw their "culture" and screw cultural relativism. The worst thing she's done is not go far enough with those slaving scum.

So yes, she is developing as a character. And what's the body count on her development so far?

Not nearly high enough.

Ha and also, I'm a 32 year old single mom... Wouldnt call myself young and inexperienced. I think I am officially done with this forum now. I get all the condescension I need at work. Ciao.

People on the innertubes are mean. Try to understand it is their aggression and has nothing to do with you.

Whenever you figure out the answer to your question, let me know. It is curious to see the postings about her which seem to be spread all over and get woven into other threads.

Dany's mistakes get extra special scrutiny.

Screw their "culture" and screw cultural relativism. The worst thing she's done is not go far enough with those slaving scum.

Not nearly high enough.

Which in it's own way is as bad as going too far. At that's the problem, she swings between blind fury and helpless procrastination, and everyone suffers for it.

And yes, it's important to understand someone's culture before you go to war, it's pure arrogance to assume that you are going to waltz in and undo a few thousand years of tradition.

Meereen Dany really should have been Astapor Dany, and maybe things wouldn't have been so bad.

I don't even want to try to write an analogous argument, but let's suppose this thread were about hating Jon. It might go like this.

1. Jon stands by without question while his father beheads a NWer who only fled his post out of panic. The guy trys to tell Ned that he knows he should have warned people first, but Ned isn't interested in listening. Had Ned garnered evidence for what happened, he would have known that there was a possible big threat just to the North and that becoming hand was irrelevant to what was about to happen to Westeros.

2. Jon romanticizes the Nights Watch and doesn't listen to his uncle's warnings or Tyrion's.

3. Jon is understandably humiliated by his status, but he does carry a bigger chip on his shoulder than is necessary.

4. Jon's idea of his vows is rigid, but he still is willing to thrown them over when his heart takes over his head. He is very inconsistent.

5. Even though something has obviously gone wrong in KL and even though Jon has yet to take his vows, he does not go to Mormont and tell him that he would like to postpone his vows till he checks on his family.

6. Jon's heart rules his head, but he pretends the reverse.

7. Jon is arrogant when he first reaches the wall and makes enemies of his supposed 'inferiors.' In other words, he displays entitlement.

8. Jon does astoundingly well as Lord Commander at a ridiculously young age, but he makes enough mistakes concerning how he communicates with his men to give them motivation to assassinate him.

A lot of the naivete Jon displays at first has been tempered, but he still has a rather one dimensional thought pattern and it is easy to see how Mellissandra, et.al. could keep him dancing for a long, long time.

I think Jon's naivete will come into play in a big way at the beginning of the next book. He is not dead. Martin as much as said so.

Getting stabbed may help, or not.

I see MOST of the mistakes people make in this series as the result of only having bad and worse choices. Everyone is up against impossible odds.

Very few of them are sociopathic outside of the Mountain, but many of them, even the 'admirable' characters are quite brutal.

P.S. Jon is my favorite

There is no catch-all reason. Many hate her because she is female. Others because they never came to like the story outside Westeros. Then there are those who hate the fact that she in particular is bestowed with dragons. And, by the same token, many are upset that she is indomitable and always ends up achieving victory over those who would be her foes. Finally, some are simply put off by her personality, which is very often described as arrogant and entitled.

More commonly though, it is a combination of two or more of these reasons and, in some cases, all of them.

As for myself, she is my third or fourth favorite character and, if her latest chapter is anything to go by, she might get to pole position by the end of the series.

I can only give you my opinion. I don't hate her, but I definitely see her as my least favourite contender for the Iron Throne remaining.

It dawned on me slowly in ADWD how immature, arrogant, dismissive and generally unfit for rule she proves herself to be in Mereen. She's not a good strategic thinker (though she is quite cunning tactically), she doesn't have an idea of what her long term plans are, she has very poor diplomatic skills, and she fits Littlefinger's description of a pawn who thinks they're a player in the Game of Thrones.

That said, it's not like we should expect Tywin Lannister from a 15 year old girl who has never been trained to rule.

That said, it's not like we should expect Tywin Lannister from a 15 year old girl who has never been trained to rule.

You say that like you think Tywin Lannister was even remotely competent. Daenerys at 15 with no training is already a better leader than Tywin.

Hell, my cat is a better leader than Tywin. And she's dead.

You say that like you think Tywin Lannister was even remotely competent. Daenerys at 15 with no training is already a better leader than Tywin. Hell, my cat is a better leader than Tywin. And she's dead.

This is hilariously, utterly wrong.

There is no catch-all reason. Many hate her because she is female. Others because they never came to like the story outside Westeros. Then there are those who hate the fact that she in particular is bestowed with dragons. And, by the same token, many are upset that she is indomitable and always ends up achieving victory over those who would be her foes. Finally, some are simply put off by her personality, which is very often described as arrogant and entitled.

Really?

Archived