Non-fantasy/SF recommendations thread (literary, non-fic etc)

Werthead

Any recommendations for books on Ancient Rome?

The Falco series, starting with The Silver Pigs, by Lindsey Davis. They're historical mysteries set around 80 AD onwards, mostly in Rome, but also elsewhere.

10 quick recommends:

1) The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco

2) A Coffin For Demetrios, Eric Ambler

3) The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro

4) The King Hereafter, Dorothy Dunnett

5) Flashman, George M. Fraser

6) Very Good, Jeeves, P.G. Wodehouse

7) The Skin of the Lion, M. Ondaatje

8) Master and Commander, Patrick O'Brian

9) L.A. Confidential, James Ellroy

10) The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony, Roberto Calasso

I'd recommend reading The Big Nowhere first (probably be best to read The Black Dahlia before that) and be sure to read the follow up to LA Confidential; White Jazz.

If you're into crime fiction I really recommend David Peace's Red Riding Quartet, similar to James Ellroy but much much darker.

Any recommendations for books on Ancient Rome?

Colleen McCullough's Master's of Rome series is excellent. I believe the first book in the series is called, "The First Man in Rome."

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to start teaching American history from 1870-1914. I know nothing about this so having to do a lot of homework over the summer. I'd like to read a well-written fast-paced piece of fiction around the time period. Anything to do with the American civil war, the expansion into the west, slavery, or Native American/West relations would be fab. Love a bit of dark romance but I suppose it isn't essential.

I am about to start teaching American history from 1870-1914. I know nothing about this so having to do a lot of homework over the summer. I'd like to read a well-written fast-paced piece of fiction around the time period. Anything to do with the American civil war, the expansion into the west, slavery, or Native American/West relations would be fab. Love a bit of dark romance but I suppose it isn't essential.

Have you read Ragtime? It is set in the years before WWI although doesn't touch on your preferred areas of detail

Not fitting your brief at all, re fiction, but I would highly recommend "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee", for perspective regardign the Native Indians. It's mostly the 1860s but does go into the 1870 and 80s. Excellent information on treaties and diplomacy. If you are doing homework, it's one I'd recommend

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend 'The song of Achilles' by Madeline Miller.

I picked it up at an airport, drawn to the name 'Achilles', since I've always been drawn to myths/legends - expected it to be 'entertaining enough', but I would go as far as to say it's the best, single book I've read this year (book not part of a series). Miller writes incredible well, from a great perspective. These stories tend to be grand and magnificent, but this is very personal and heartfelt. And although I knew the ending, it still had me at the edge of my seat. A great read!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're into crime fiction I really recommend David Peace's Red Riding Quartet, similar to James Ellroy but much much darker.

This sounds cool, I love Ellroy's books, although it's sort of scares me to think what it takes to make something darker than his stuff, much less much, much darker. I'm on board though and got the first one in this.

• 2 weeks later...

Colleen McCullough's Master's of Rome series is excellent. I believe the first book in the series is called, "The First Man in Rome."

Seconded and "The First Man in Rome" is indeed the first book. Meticulously researched with deep vivid characterization. Does an excellent job of bringing the time period to life.

The Killer Angels by one of the Sharras. No offense, but if you know nothing about the time period why are you teaching it?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have sworn I'd pimped this author/book in this thread... And if I truly didn't, how is it that someone else hasn't mentioned it?

Non-Fiction:

Anyway... Just about anything by Bill Bryson. But specifically, "A Short History of Nearly Everything". A preposterous title and it fully delivers. How in the world this isn't required High School reading for basic science classes escapes me.

I'd have sworn I'd pimped this author/book in this thread... And if I truly didn't, how is it that someone else hasn't mentioned it?

Non-Fiction:

Anyway... Just about anything by Bill Bryson. But specifically, "A Short History of Nearly Everything". A preposterous title and it fully delivers. How in the world this isn't required High School reading for basic science classes escapes me.

I totally agree with you on Bryson. I would recommend any of his travel logs, so to speak, he explores Europe in the '70 with a nightmare of a partner 'Neither Here Nor There' (might be hard to find but I have to say that people would look at me funny because I would burst out laughing a regural intervals); then he decides to do the Appalachion Trail with the same man some 30 years later 'A Walk in the Woods'. He also travels to Australia 'Down Under' aka 'In a Sunburt Country' and Africa 'BB's African Diary'. Finally he goes back home to the US after 2 decades away and catalogs changes and his memories in 'Notes from a Big Country' aka 'I'm a Stranger Here Myself'. And furthers this American theme with 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' an autobiography of growing up in rural US.

I totally agree with you on Bryson. I would recommend any of his travel logs, so to speak, he explores Europe in the '70 with a nightmare of a partner 'Neither Here Nor There' (might be hard to find but I have to say that people would look at me funny because I would burst out laughing a regural intervals); then he decides to do the Appalachion Trail with the same man some 30 years later 'A Walk in the Woods'. He also travels to Australia 'Down Under' aka 'In a Sunburt Country' and Africa 'BB's African Diary'. Finally he goes back home to the US after 2 decades away and catalogs changes and his memories in 'Notes from a Big Country' aka 'I'm a Stranger Here Myself'. And furthers this American theme with 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' an autobiography of growing up in rural US.

Yes, I too have been caused to giggle here and there in his works, drawing strange looks! "in a Sunburnt Country" was awesome from start ot finish. As was "A Walk in the Woods".

"A Short History" hooked me with the introduction. His description of his experience with science textbooks, the illustration of the globe with one quarter carved out to show Earth's layers... "How do they know that...?! They're leaving out all the best parts!" Reading it I was all, "Yes! Yes! Exactly!" :lol:

A Chronicle of a Death Foretold by the master of Magic Realism himself, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's one of those books that kinda fucks you up a little bit especially after you're done reading it.

I will also recommend the works of Jose Saramago. Seriously, just pick up any of his books.

Archived