Aerys never got near Lyanna at the time when Jon was conceived. And, as it is known, Jon knows nothing, so, for him, Rhaegar could well be evil impersonated.

It's always struck me that the person they were hiding from at the TOJ was, more than anyone else, Aerys.

It's always struck me that the person they were hiding from at the TOJ was, more than anyone else, Aerys.

I don't even want to think what he might have done if he got hold of Lyanna during the rebellion.

I love these theories! All of them!

When I first read AGOT, I had the R + L = J idea because of the simplest reasons... why would Ned hide the identity of Jon's mother? What does he have to gain by hiding it? And then there is the promise that he made to Lyanna... what would be so important in those times to a woman, other than a prosperous marriage?

Simple answer... a child.

I believe R+L=J, and for a long time I hated that I had read it (I won't bother pretending I figured it out), but I've now convinced myself that it isn't that important. At first I figured Lyanna/Rhaegar, Ice/Fire, that's the name of the series therefore it'll be important. But I can't now see how his being the technical 'heir' to the Iron Throne can have any bearing. If there exists enough people in Westeros who could corroborate his origins and therefore ever give him the option of taking the throne, then it really doesn't make any sense that Eddard could successfully hide him for so long. If there AREN'T enough people, then he won't ever have the option.

I think ultimately it'll be an important character moment for Jon, and give him plenty to think about, but I can't see how it will change things for the larger story. Plus GRRM seems to be telling a quite a lot of the cast, which I don't imagine he'd do if it was that central to the story.

It's quite funny how when you first read it, it sounds like Alfie Allen's given a huge clue, but really we can't definitively pin this clue on Rhaegar. I still don't quite get why he then talks about succession and incest and stuff.......is this related or his he just going off on a tangent?

I believe R+L=J, and for a long time I hated that I had read it (I won't bother pretending I figured it out), but I've now convinced myself that it isn't that important. At first I figured Lyanna/Rhaegar, Ice/Fire, that's the name of the series therefore it'll be important. But I can't now see how his being the technical 'heir' to the Iron Throne can have any bearing. If there exists enough people in Westeros who could corroborate his origins and therefore ever give him the option of taking the throne, then it really doesn't make any sense that Eddard could successfully hide him for so long. If there AREN'T enough people, then he won't ever have the option.

I think ultimately it'll be an important character moment for Jon, and give him plenty to think about, but I can't see how it will change things for the larger story. Plus GRRM seems to be telling a quite a lot of the cast, which I don't imagine he'd do if it was that central to the story.

It's quite funny how when you first read it, it sounds like Alfie Allen's given a huge clue, but really we can't definitively pin this clue on Rhaegar. I still don't quite get why he then talks about succession and incest and stuff.......is this related or his he just going off on a tangent?

Well, as much as I think Alfie Allen is doing a great job as Theon, I just can't take him seriously on interviews because of his sister's song lol But yes, I think he realized he might have said too much and was trying to confuse us with part of what he said only giving even more clues as to what GRRM told him :bowdown:

Whereas I do believe Jon will get the throne eventually even if he doesn't want it, I don't think that's the main reason why R+L=J is important. I think the main significance of who Jon truly is lies with prophecies and his actions to fulfill them even if he has no idea he is doing so, by defeating the Others and etc. I mean, "A Song of Ice and Fire", it is too poetic a title to simply refer to a political destiny, or his marrying Daenerys like some believe (which I think is an absurd idea, but anyway). So, yes, if he gets the throne it will not be because he's Rhaegar's last living heir, especially because there are far too many people trying to sit on that uncomfortable chair without trying to give anything in return for it, and, as you said, proving his identity will be complicated at best. He will get the throne because of everything he will have done for Westeros at that point; his being Rhaegar's son and the rightful heir will eventually be just the way to confirm his position as the new king.

Archived