Patchface Prophesies

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere else, as this is my first (of many) posts, but I was thinking: If Patchface is an ancestor of Aerion Brightflame, wouldn't that mean that he has king's blood? And if that's the case, that would mean that Patchface would be a viable option for Melisandre to use in order to "wake the stone dragon." Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum!

I think Patchface being burned might relax a few people, as he creeps everyone out. If he were a descendent of Brightflame then I imagine it would work though. There is a fair amount of speculation as to who would count as having king's blood for the purposes of Mel's burnings, but they tend to be spread across threads.

This might be too far-fetched but let me know what you think. Wyman Manderly (merman sigil) sent Davos after Rickon (with the help of House Borrell, whose sigil is a crab). The Ruthermonts (starfish sigil) are in the Vale, where Sansa is currently. What if, by some turn of events, Manderly discovers where Sansa is and the Vale is protecting her, including the Ruthermonts. So what if Patchface's prophecy: "Under the sea mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs," involves House Borrell (crabs) and maybe House Celtigar (crabs) helping Manderly (merman) overcome the Ruthermonts (starfish) to get Sansa back, in addition to Rickon. Gathering up all the Stark kids or something?

"Under the sea, men marry fishes. They do, they do, they do."

Could be: I dunno, a Tully?

This one could be Beric Dondarian giving his "flame" to a dead Catelyn.

"Under the sea, the mermen (Manderlys) feast on starfish soup and the serving men are crabs

This can describe the frey pie.

Wheigh the same as a duck?

In Monty Python and the Holy Grail they parody medieval people for burning witches by showing their "thought process:"

They argue that witches float; and that wood also floats. Therefore witches must be made of wood.

So they ask how you can tell if someone is made of wood. They then argue that a duck also floats, just like wood.

Therefore if a woman weighs the same as a duck, she must be made of wood and therefore a witch.

So they weigh her and a duck on a massive scale which is heavier on the side with the duck on it.

Then they take her off to burn her.

Hmm about Mel's opinion on patchface beign "dangerous". He is at the wall right now... and if as some here have suggested he is similar or sympathetic to wights he could sabotage the wall defences.

You're seriously considering it would be a good thing if Patchface ate Shireen? Jezus.

Then patch-face would reawaken and spread the greyscale.. resulting in lots of deaths "skulls"

Shireen could go missing (since there is no body...) and he spreads the disease in meantime..

All very sick ofcourse.

: "Under the sea mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs,"

I don't think we've seen that already. The mermen and their feasting seems to fit well for Manderley feasting on Freys, but I'm not quite convinced of the attempts to link Freys to starfish and I haven't seen a particularly compelling explanation for the crabs either.

I think it might have something to do with Celtigars (their sigil are crabs; Lord Adrian is called the Red Crab), or any descendent of Clarence Crabb (a legendary hero who collected disembodied heads, situated at the Whispers at Crackclaw Point).

Celtigars seem poised to take on an important role in the narrative any time soon - they have been at the margins of the story for a while now, mentioned on several occassion but always remaining in the background. I'd be surprised if they don't become important eventually.

They are probably Targ loyalists - a celtigar was Aegon the Conqueror's Master of Coin.

They are rumoured to possess a horn that wakes a kraken - could come in handy. It's kept at the island that Davos saved for them from Stannis' retribution for joining Joffrey after the Blackwater defeat.

Then there's a House Crab - the one the legendary hero with the head-collection came from. It seems to have lost importance now, but there are still Crabs running around at Crackclaw Point. Brienne met one, Nimble Dick, who claims to be descendant of those Crabs. He dies, but he's probably not the only one.

Crackclaw Point seems like a location that might be revisited. It's one of the deadends of Brienne' quest and it would be nice if it turned out to have some narrative function after all.

The Starfish could be the Poor Fellows, whose sigil is a seven pointed Star. I suspect that the Faith will support Aegon while the Targ loyalist Crabs at Crackclaw Point or the Celitgars might support Dany. No idea who the merman would be in that constellation though. Probably not Manderley - and don't think the North will get very involved in the Second Dance of Dragons.

• 3 weeks later...

Under the sea, the merman feast on starfish soup and all the serving men are crabs.

Wiki-ing this leads to the Ironborn taking the shield islands and consequent attacks. They set up base on Mermaid's Palace, making them the mermen, Stonecrab Cay is one of the shield islands they conquered so I supposed they enslaved crabs there and then they took Starfish Harbor.

Wiki-ing this leads to the Ironborn taking the shield islands and consequent attacks. They set up base on Mermaid's Palace, making them the mermen, Stonecrab Cay is one of the shield islands they conquered so I supposed they enslaved crabs there and then they took Starfish Harbor.

This makes too much sense, but I've always somehow connected it to Manderley and Frey pies. Maybe it foreshadows both. Now - Manderley and Merman is obvious, I need to make a case of why the Freys were starfish, and the serving men crabs. Maybe helplessness could be associated with starfish, because the killed Freys were kind of helpless? I don't know, I will try to find real life sybmolism in Starfish and Crabs and will come back.

I am pretty sure other people have been right.

Under the sea = In death/In the realm of death

Therefore since mermen are the men of the sea, they are the men of death

Mermen = wights/others

Not sure what seahorses are. Someone said they are ships in old English, although I doubt that is the context here. You do not 'ride' a ship.

if under the sea = death/realm of death, then seashorse surely = undead horse

If you look at Patchface's predictions they tend to deal with death. He prefict's Renly's death and the Red Wedding. Hence when Mel says he's surronded by skulls and has blood on his lips I think it's far more saying he can only predict death rather than he's going to cause it.

I hadn't thought about the merman feasting on Starfish soup being Manderly's getting the Sansa back but it would seem to fit both Manderly's desire and the sygils but equally could be the Ironmen taking the Shield islands.

I'd also say that Patchface must be linked to the Drowned God some how. I mean he's been drowned and returned a different man much like Damphair. He seems way too close to that without him being part of it.

If you look at Patchface's predictions they tend to deal with death. He prefict's Renly's death and the Red Wedding. Hence when Mel says he's surronded by skulls and has blood on his lips I think it's far more saying he can only predict death rather than he's going to cause it.

Whoa :eek: I like that interpretation... Good job, everyone else assumes he will eat princess shireen LOL.

Archived