I think Tommen would actually make a great king...

Lady Hodor

Don't you? I mean, he's not mean, he's not vicious, he's not malcontent, he's not greedy. He is a lovely boy.

Let's look at all of his brilliant moments:

- His favourite part of being king is playing with the stamps

- He's eager to learn and become an apt warrior like Ser Loras

- He treats his kittens well meaning he is kindly and caring

- He cries when Myrcella leaves, what a lovely brother

- He stands up against Cersei for what is right (unlike Joffrey)

- When Cersei threatens Margery he gets really angry and protective

- The common people have no disliking for him

- He doesn't seem unintelligent or dim

- He wants to outlaw beets

Of course, at the moment he is only eight years old.

But given the chance I reckon he would grow up into a great king.

What do you think? Will we see him perched upon the Iron Throne with Ser Pounce prowling at his feet?

King Tommen Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals, Outlawer of Beets and Protector of the Realm.

Edit - Howling4Reed has reminded me of the prophecy.

So as an added thought to this thread, if he does, how will he die?

He needs to learn to assert himself and not let others walk all over him. He also needs to learn about governing and politics and to become more and more involved with politics, governing. Age can help with insufficient assertiveness but even old people can be of that personality. Still he has shown some signs that there is hope in regards to that issue.I think he has the potential to improve on that front with the proper guidance and he does have the potential unlike his brother to make a good king.

He could be a very good king with the right adviser and teachers, if they seperate him from Cerseis influence and Tyrion and Jaime would be responsible for his education he could turn out good. But there is the prophecy

Tommen certainly seems, from a temperamental standpoint, to have much more potential than his brother. I love all the Tommen stuff in Cersei's POV's in Feast, and I would pay quite to bit to see a scene in which Tommen actually outlaws beets...

"I, Tommen, of the Houses Baratheon and Lannister, First of my name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, do, in mine own name, decree that the beet shall no longer be planted, nor harvested, nor served at table, now and forever!"

That being said, I do not think that the "Baratheons" of King's Landing will sit the Iron Throne throughout the rest of the series. Given Tommen's temperament, and the little peeks of potential we've seen, I think it may not be coincidental that his name is so close to "Torrhen"...

It would be a good surprise by GRRM if Tommen survives the series and even bigger one if he sits the Iron Throne at the end. I don't expect this to happen, in fact I expect Tommen to perish, but you never know. I have seen some interpretations of the prophecy that it was not saying that all three children would die. And that is indeed possible.

Does the majority of the forum think Tommen is homosexual? Since I always thought about him that way, with his kittens and stuff. I love Tommen, tho'.

He needs to learn to assert himself and not let others walk all over him. He also needs to learn about governing and politics and to become more and more involved with politics, governing. Age can help with insufficient assertiveness but even old people can be of that personality. Still he has shown some signs that there is hope in regards to that issue.I think he has the potential to improve on that front with the proper guidance and he does have the potential unlike his brother to make a good king.

Who thinks he's not assertive enough in the books beyond Cersei? Because I don't really consider her opinions valid in any way. Keep in mind when he actually does show any independence she immediately punishes him by forcing him to whip Pate himself until the poor boy is bloody and a word of disagreement means Pate has his tongue torn out.

Joffrey not giving a shit about any punishment inflicted on his whipping boy doesn't make him more assertive. It merely makes him Joffrey.

Does the majority of the forum think Tommen is homosexual? Since I always thought about him that way, with his kittens and stuff. I love Tommen, tho'.

What the...?

He is eight years old and likes cats. I like cats, too and i think that is not really something strange for a guy. :D

He wants to be a knight and learn fighting and jousting. And he loves stamping. I think that's pretty standard for a boy.

I think he's the one child that resembles Jaime the most, carrying his best and most redeeming qualities. Myrcella is definitely sharper than him, and probably less sensitive, but the boy has courage. With a good and loyal Hand/Regent and some stern but respectful parenting, he could grow up to be a good king by Westerosi standards.

And I'm probably going to read about this boy's all too early and violent death...

Who thinks he's not assertive enough in the books beyond Cersei? Because I don't really consider her opinions valid in any way. Keep in mind when he actually does show any independence she immediately punishes him by forcing him to whip Pate himself until the poor boy is bloody and a word of disagreement means Pate has his tongue torn out. Joffrey not giving a shit about any punishment inflicted on his whipping boy doesn't make him more assertive. It merely makes him Joffrey.

He is not assertive enough in the books, in fact he breaks down and cries in Tywin's funeral, shows little will for independence until Margaery's encouragement and he of course signs all documents. His moves against Cersei's complete and total power are too little. As I said he has shown some hopeful signs on the front of independence, not allowing others to walk over him, strength of character and so on but still not enough but their various mitigating factors and he can change. How he handles Cersei threat is also an issue, someone else in his position who was neither Joffrey but also had stronger character might not have backed so easily or shown to Cersei that constantly threatening him might not be such a good idea. If his demeanor from the beginning was more assertive, even Cersei would be less likely to threaten him. But age is a huge mitigating factor and he has shown hopeful signs as I noted, else I wouldn't be of the opinion that he can grow to be a good king.

Also Joffrey is more assertive than Tommen, that is a fact. I have no idea why you thought to compare Joffrey and Tommen here as if you suppose anyone would prefer Joffrey. Tommen might have lacked confidence, but he was not a goddamn idiot, sociopath and so on, of course Cersei also had little ability to challenge Joffrey's authority because he was less likely to back down from what he wanted and wanted his wants to be carried out without tolerating people disobeying. This can be foolish, but everything is a subject of balance, some assertiveness is a good thing for a ruler. Joffrey was obviously out of balance on that regard, Tommen has the potential to not be out of balance.

Remember, just because Cersei compares Tommen unfavorably to Joffrey and she is wrong, it doesn't mean that Tommen does not have certain flaws of personality, which perhaps through time and age, encouragement, and experiences can change and he can become sufficiently self confident for example.

Archived