I think Tommen would actually make a great king...

Lady Hodor

Who is in position to do anything about Myrcella? As of the end of Dance with Dragons, Myrcella is in the hands of Doran - and HE wouldnĀ“t kill any children for any political pretext.

He wouldn't? He wants to plunge the entire realm into war in order to get revenge on the murders of his sister, niece and nephew 15 years previously.

I think he'd consider killing the Lannister heir to the throne as poetic justice.

If you can pry him away from his mother and get some good advisors and tutors around like Sir Loras and Tyrion yes I believe he could grow into a good king. Its much easier to instill some backbone and steel in one seen as soft than try to temper one who is to hard and mean like Joffrey.

He wouldn't? He wants to plunge the entire realm into war in order to get revenge on the murders of his sister, niece and nephew 15 years previously. I think he'd consider killing the Lannister heir to the throne as poetic justice.

Disagreed - the way he stresses protection of children incl. Myrcella to Arianne seems genuine. Though admittedly wars do cause casualties.

Since Doran is trying to put Arianne or Quentyn married to Iron Throne, it seems that Doran is going to ask any winner of Iron Throne, whether Aegon or Daenerys, to give a kingdom for Trystane and Myrcella - and Myrcella has a claim to both Stormlands and Casterly Rock.

Also, Aegon/Jon may like the idea of wiping out UsurperĀ“s line - but they have no immediate opportunity to deal with Stannis and Shireen who are out of their grasp for now. Killing Tommen and Myrcella could provoke Baratheon supporters to rally to Stannis or Shireen, whereas keeping them hostages and promising to give them Stormlands and Casterly Rock as rightful heirs of the bannermen would induce some to submit.

Tyrion may be looking to join Daenerys, but Jon/Aegon have no other Lannister claimant in their tow whom they could call upon Lannister supporters to submit to. Capturing and sparing Myrcella, Tommen or both would deal with the threat in the West.

I like Tommen and I'd like to see him grow up to be a good king, but unfortunately he is Tytos 2.0.

He'd be a great king if he had someone good by his side. It has been a while since I've read AFFC but didn't the commoners actually like him ? It's because of Margaery's influence, he's too much dependable on whoever is pulling his strings.

I like Tommen and I'd like to see him grow up to be a good king, but unfortunately he is Tytos 2.0. He'd be a great king if he had someone good by his side. It has been a while since I've read AFFC but didn't the commoners actually like him ? It's because of Margaery's influence, he's too much dependable on whoever is pulling his strings.

Precisely. As Daenerys or Aegon on Iron Throne, whoĀ“d you prefer in Casterly Rock? The good, weak, dependable Tommen guarded by Margaery, or the crafty and undependable Imp? Which of these two is the more likely to rise in rebellion?

Who is in position to do anything about Myrcella? As of the end of Dance with Dragons, Myrcella is in the hands of Doran - and HE wouldnĀ“t kill any children for any political pretext. The matter may be out of his immediate hands. What does he do when he hears of AegonĀ“s invasion? Delay or cancel the plans to send Myrcella to KingĀ“s Landing? Or they are already sent when the news come, and are intercepted by Aegon in transit, or captured by Tyrells in KingĀ“s Landing when Tyrells turn? After all, there is the question of what to do with the hereditary claims of Baratheons and Lannisters. Who is, for Connington, the rightful lord of StormĀ“s End? Aegon has no hereditary right to Stormlands, as the King, he should acknowledge his rightful bannerman... which one? He just might claim the whole Baratheon family rightly forfeited for rebellion, but making such forfeitures accepted by the bannermen is a difficult issue.

Isn't Myrcella on her way back to King's Landing? I think Doran would protect Myrcella; but his health is not good; and I think the Sand Snakes would be happy to avenge the deaths of Elia and Oberyn and Elia's children by killing any Lannisters they can get, including a little girl. They seemed to want to kill all Lannisters in ADWD.

Aegon could, if he wins the Iron Throne, declare Tyrion to be the lord of Casterly Rock in return for his allegiance. Tyrion could either adopt Tommen as his heir or send him to the Wall, or to Oldtown to become a Maester, or have him killed so that there is one less rival to the Lannister lordship as well as the Iron Throne. Aegon could marry Myrcella, or order her execution, or have her marry one of his loyal supporters. As for House Baratheon, there isn't much left of it if Stannis dies. Stannis will die either fighting the Boltons or being executed by Dragons; I don't see him bending the knee to them. Aegon could probably afford to let Shireen live, and either make her become a Septa or marry her to someone he trusts.

I think Tommen will be killed in TWOW. If Mace Tyrell holds King's Landing and has custody and control of Tommen, he'll imprison both Tommen and Cersei and kill Tommen, then offer Margaery to Aegon as a bride. (in real history, a man named James Tyrell was suspected of killing the young princes in the Tower of London, the sons of Edward IV, probably on the orders of their uncle Richard III, who reminds me a bit of Tyrion - Tyrell was Richard's servant).

If Mace Tyrell holds King's Landing and has custody and control of Tommen, he'll imprison both Tommen and Cersei and kill Tommen, then offer Margaery to Aegon as a bride. (in real history, a man named James Tyrell was suspected of killing the young princes in the Tower of London, the sons of Edward IV, probably on the orders of their uncle Richard III, who reminds me a bit of Tyrion - Tyrell was Richard's servant).

Does Westeros have a Henry Tudor though?

Tommen's a nice kid, but Aegon specifically made the Iron Throne uncomfortable for a reason. Tommen wasn't built for ruling, and I don't think he'd ever be capable of it. Oh sure, he could be tempered and bred and hardened up some, but I don't think he'd ever be right for the job.

Myrcella, though. I think she'd grow up to be a splendid queen.

Too bad they're both doomed.

Jon Connington hopes, in ADWD, specifically in The Lost Lord, "To end the Usurper's line for good and all, and put Rhaegar's son upon the Iron Throne". He does not sound like he is inclined to let Tommen or even Myrcella live. Perhaps Myrcella might be allowed to live, since she would not carry the name Baratheon if she were married; but I doubt that J.C. would spare Tommen even if he knew that Robert Baratheon did not father him. Connington also notes, I think in a later chapter, that he had been too merciful in Stoney Sept, the town that hid Robert Baratheon during the rebellion; and reflects that because he did not want to be called a butcher, Robert escaped him and later killed Rhaegar. I don't think this bodes well for Tommen if Connington or his allies/agents capture him.

Understand that JonCon has lived a life of regret since the war because he loved Rhaegar and thinks he failed him. I think that clouds his judgement of how he should have done things.

Understand that JonCon has lived a life of regret since the war because he loved Rhaegar and thinks he failed him. I think that clouds his judgement of how he should have done things.
But doesn't he acknowledge that Rhaegar would likely not have done any different? Rheagar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably and Rheagar got good and killed.

But doesn't he acknowledge that Rhaegar would likely not have done any different? Rheagar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably and Rheagar got good and killed.

Yes, but him supposedly being willing to kill Tommen should not speak to his character. I do not think it is something he would be okay doing, but sees it as a necessity since being the bad guy last time could have ended Robert's Rebellion.

Aegon could, if he wins the Iron Throne, declare Tyrion to be the lord of Casterly Rock in return for his allegiance. Tyrion could either adopt Tommen as his heir or send him to the Wall, or to Oldtown to become a Maester, or have him killed so that there is one less rival to the Lannister lordship as well as the Iron Throne. Aegon could marry Myrcella, or order her execution, or have her marry one of his loyal supporters.

Tyrion is far away in Meereenese knot for now, and not immediately available to Aegon&Jon. Which is my point. Aegon needs to offer some credible terms to Daven etc.

As for House Baratheon, there isn't much left of it if Stannis dies. Stannis will die either fighting the Boltons or being executed by Dragons;

He already has.

] I don't see him bending the knee to them. Aegon could probably afford to let Shireen live, and either make her become a Septa or marry her to someone he trusts.

If Baratheon does have a distant cousin to inherit, he is not a Targaryen descendant. But Shireen is.

How many soldiers do Selyse, Shireen and Melisandre have at the Wall who did not march with Stannis? How will they fare against the brethren of Marsh?

If Selyse and her remaining men figure they are fucked, it STILL is not up to Aegon to not let Shireen live. Aegon has no fleet, he has other military business, and Selyse and Shireen still could run for Ibben or Braavos as exiles. Or bend their knee.

Disagreed - the way he stresses protection of children incl. Myrcella to Arianne seems genuine. Though admittedly wars do cause casualties. Since Doran is trying to put Arianne or Quentyn married to Iron Throne, it seems that Doran is going to ask any winner of Iron Throne, whether Aegon or Daenerys, to give a kingdom for Trystane and Myrcella - and Myrcella has a claim to both Stormlands and Casterly Rock. Also, Aegon/Jon may like the idea of wiping out UsurperĀ“s line - but they have no immediate opportunity to deal with Stannis and Shireen who are out of their grasp for now. Killing Tommen and Myrcella could provoke Baratheon supporters to rally to Stannis or Shireen, whereas keeping them hostages and promising to give them Stormlands and Casterly Rock as rightful heirs of the bannermen would induce some to submit. Tyrion may be looking to join Daenerys, but Jon/Aegon have no other Lannister claimant in their tow whom they could call upon Lannister supporters to submit to. Capturing and sparing Myrcella, Tommen or both would deal with the threat in the West.

Doran only worried about the dishonour that would have come from murdering Myrcella. I don't recall him caring about her as a person at all. He likes children well enough, but does that mean he wouldn't kill a Lannister? He's been plotting to completely destroy the Lannisters for 15 years utterly consumed with a desire for vengeance so I wouldn't put it past him to overcome any guilt and order her death.

As for wanting to be the king's father(-in-law), that's always been more of a means to revenge than anything else as far as I can tell.

Doran doesnt seem the sort to murder children. He wants revenge sure, but in the same way Stannis wants his birthright.

Stannis couldn't bare to kill Edric, Ned couldn't bare to kill Daenerys, and just as honour-drowned Doran won't bare to kill Tommen or Myrecella.

Tommen is adorable, a good natured king and a long peace would be what Westeros needs!

And NO beets!

I know it's likely that he will die in the next books, but I do hope that won't happen.

Tommen's death would upset me more than the Red Wedding.

Archived