Who do you think will be the REAL Villain?

butterbumps!

The answer doesn't matter because the question isn't the right question.

It isn't who is a villain, but who do we view as the "good guy" and who is is opposing them. Everyone has someone they want to win and most people will probably be disappointed

There has, and will, never be a group of people who truly want evil and discord; by this I mean Dragons and WW are not evil nor are they good, they simply are. Ying and Yang, hot and cold, dark and light; the cliche is that we think cold and dark are bad and god knows GRRM likes to go against the cliche.

If any one of these characters does evil we know it to be unintentional or to further their goals.

Remember one simple truth of this series: everyone is playing their own game and everyone wants to win. GRRM has never been the type to make one clear cut evil and one clear cut good, the point of the series, to me at least, is that everyone simply wants to survive and further their own means. Dragons, WWs, and humans all simply pursue their own survival and will do anything to ensure it.

I've always had a certain fondness for the idea that Stannis might end up turning into the Night's King. That said, there is very little evidence to justify much faith in that theory so far.

Asking who the main villain is is like asking who the main hero is. There really isn't one.

I mean, once the Others attack, they'll likely be the big enemies, which would put Azor Ahai into the role of hero, but to just say Others=the villains and Azor Ahai Reborn=the hero is really unfair to the twenty other subplots.

I agree with the general logic behind this, however I think that right now the greatest threat is the Others, who give every indication of being personified forces of nature out of balance that threaten to exterminate all living things. (Old Nan said that they "hated ... every creature with hot blood in its veins," but "hate" may be part of the personification. I also doubt that many plants would survive their Long Winter, FWIW.)

I agree that the dragons and all of the fire magic are a form of imbalance on the other side, but at the moment three individual dragons have much less potential to cause apocalyptic destruction, so they might still be used as tools in the defeat of the Others - and hopefully destroyed in the process, as the magics of ice and fire mutually annihilate each other, paving the way for some kind of calmer equilibrium to be restored.

And I know that some people might disagree, but I see Dany as at least having the potential to recognize that the threat of all life being exterminated is more important than her juvenile dreams of conquest, and agree to use her dragons against the Others. If the Others hadn't returned, she and her dragons might indeed be the greatest threat to Westeros, but changes in circumstances can inspire changes in characters, and she might just rise above the "fire and blood" conquest ethos of her Targ ancestors, just as some of the other characters might rise above the petty game of thrones that they've been playing, also at great cost in human blood. At least I'm hoping so.

Sort of like global warming in the real world. It should inspire us to rise above our petty politics and power plays, etc. It hasn't really so far, but conditions probably haven't really gotten apocalyptic enough yet for the majority to realize that it really is an existential threat.

I like the idea of both Ice (the Others) and Fire (the dragons) being "villains" and that they both end up being destroyed. However, I am wondering where that would leave the inhabitants of Westeros? Human nature being what it is, I can see the war over the Kingdom of Westeros resuming right where it leaves off, with the different factions fighting each other over an already devastated land. Thus, the idea of war itself would be the ultimate villain.

Archived